Plugin Contributions

Default Making Shipping Exceptions

Is there a way to make certain items or categories as "Pickup ONLY"? A customer is asking because there are certain products he doesn't want to ship and they are actually easy to buy locally in any hardware store. He sells the product and has no problem for customers to order online but to come to the store to pick it up since it's a hassle to ship it.
    IDEAS Girl
    IDEAS Creative Group
    = Your image... our business!
    My contributions: SophyBlue / Sophy Blue-Grey / Mistik / The Bookshelf / Dynamic Sideboxes

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Making Shipping Exceptions

How would an order be shipped with a combination of "Pickup Only" and non-"Pickup Only" products?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ideasgirl View Post
    Is there a way to make certain items or categories as "Pickup ONLY"? A customer is asking because there are certain products he doesn't want to ship and they are actually easy to buy locally in any hardware store. He sells the product and has no problem for customers to order online but to come to the store to pick it up since it's a hassle to ship it.
    Maybe a free shipping module clone would work with language changes for pick up.
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    How would an order be shipped with a combination of "Pickup Only" and non-"Pickup Only" products?
    Not sure. These are industrial products, customer can put a note on the category/product to advise that the order has to be separate. He is thinking of putting there just a note that that product will not be shipped because of the cost involved.
    IDEAS Girl
    IDEAS Creative Group
    My contributions: SophyBlue / Sophy Blue-Grey / Mistik / The Bookshelf / Dynamic Sideboxes

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mprough View Post
    Maybe a free shipping module clone would work with language changes for pick up.
    Will that create a new selection on the product like instead of "this product is free" to have "this product is only for Pick up"? Right?
    IDEAS Girl
    IDEAS Creative Group

Plugin Contributions

Correct you can change the language for the free shipping module to be pick-up. Then there is no shipping charge for the item(s)
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Plugin Contributions

having done this before, i do not know why one would need to create a new shipping module.

ZC out of the box contains a store pickup shipping option. i can only assume that module is in use.

what one needs to do is set up a new field for said products, 'products_in_store_only'.

one can then disable all other shipping modules by checking if the cart has any of those items, ie:

Code:
    // in the quote method for all other enabled shipping modules (or with an observer if one is available):

$in_store_count = $_SESSION['cart']->in_cart_check('products_in_store_only', 'Y');

if ($in_store_count > 0) {
                $messageStack->add_session(
                    'checkout_shipping',
                    "Your cart contains items which are only available for in-store pickup.",
                    'warning'
                );
                return;
            }
    this will limit the complete order to only being available for in-store pickup.

adding another shipping method makes little sense to me, as i am not sure what that gives you other than another level of unneeded complexity.

best.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

// in the quote method for all other enabled shipping modules (or with an observer if one is available):
    Don't do this. It will make it harder to update shipping modules.

Modify includes/classes/shippping.php and change the quote method to check whether there are pickup items in the cart - then your change is in one place only and shipping modules can be updated at will.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.