Plugin Contributions

Default Change the store URL

Hi Everyone

As the subject line says, I want to change my URL. Currently it is
    https://revo-illusion.com/index.php?main_page=

I would like to change the index.php?main_page= to shop so the URL is https://revo-illusion.com/shop

I have done a search and found this (closed) thread
    https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....nge-site-URL-s

In this thread they refer to this wiki entry https://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index....Change_Folders

Although I am a little confused heaving read that entry. Just to change the above URL to what I want I have to rename the folders? Is there no easier way?
    I have already looked at step 2 and the folder is admin/cache -so assuming I have to follow the steps from the wiki I have to rename cache to shop and then update all the files mentioned in the wiki?

Thanks in advance

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Change the zen cart URL

Couple of things. When you say you want to change your url... you provided what "could" be your home page for your ZC site, though that particular url is actually somewhat mangled. Do you want the word shop to be a part of your store path for all the pages in ZC, or just the main home page?

Another thing is, why? What is the issue that is being resolved?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    When you say you want to change your url... you provided what "could" be your home page for your ZC site, though that particular url is actually somewhat mangled.
    What do mean somewhat mangled?

Do you want the word shop to be a part of your store path for all the pages in ZC, or just the main home page?
    Just the main page

Another thing is, why? What is the issue that is being resolved?
    No issue being resolved. It is just easier to tell people (and remember) to go to URL slash shop as opposed to URL slash index dot php question mark main underscore page equal sign

Plugin Contributions

Why not just let people know that your site is https://revo-illusion.com? That's a synonym (and the canonical URL) for your site's current main page.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    Why not just let people know that your site is https://revo-illusion.com? That's a synonym (and the canonical URL) for your site's current main page.
    Probably because there already exists an index.html file that presents a different website than the index.php/ZC site. The index.html is loaded when just using the domain name.

So the question now becomes do you only want the ZC "site" to be associated with your domain name or do you want to keep your existing content and be able to add the ZC side of business to your site?

As for the "mangled" part, one does not normally need to add ?main_page= to the end to get to the site/main page. Also, and somewhat the focus of the above is that index.php should not need to be added...

Now, you could use a redirect to have shop take one to index.php, but that still possibly adds some issues to deal with in the future.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

So the question now becomes do you only want the ZC "site" to be associated with your domain name or do you want to keep your existing content and be able to add the ZC side of business to your site?
    I would like to keep my existing content and be able to add the ZC side. That's why I want to simplify the ZC URL

As for the "mangled" part, one does not normally need to add ?main_page= to the end to get to the site/main page. Also, and somewhat the focus of the above is that index.php should not need to be added...
    I see! I am so new to ZC (the first time I dealt with it was installing and setting up this ZC) that I thought this was the norm?

Now, you could use a redirect to have shop take one to index.php, but that still possibly adds some issues to deal with in the future.
    Interesting point. After I posted the original question I was thinking about redirection/alias and wondered if it is possible to add an alias or something similar. So for e.g. add an alias revo-illusion.com/shop which points to the original ZC shop URL. This way when someone types in URL/shop it automatically redirects them to the original ZC shop.
    I am not that concerned about how the URL appears in the address bar. If the original URL shows up, that's fine. Just putting something in place so people can easily remember the shop URL.
    Hope that makes sense?

Plugin Contributions

If you want to keep the current site, why not put Zen Cart in a folder called "shop". This way you do not need a redirect or other hocupocus
    Your new url will automatically be "yourdomain.com/shop". The only thing you need to edit are the two configure files once the shop is moved to the new folder.