Thread: Apache4?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Apache4?

HostGator did break a whole bunch of sites totally unrelated to this one, and they admitted it. Everything that uses an .htaccess file no longer functioned, so all the .htaccess files had to be removed...which leaves all the sensitive data on those sites totally unsecured. They've admitted it was their actions that caused this, but they refuse to do anything to fix it...which I consider absolutely unconscionable. You break something, you fix it...especially when you're being paid to do so.

As for this site...I'm not quite as stupid as you probably think. I took the precaution of downloading the entire site to our local system before I uploaded the newest upgrade, so I'll simply delete what's there now and replace it with the old version. But that still doesn't solve the base problems, so it's likely we'll have to scrap the entire concept and go with something else entirely. It's a shame, because it would have done a nice job if it had worked.

Plugin Contributions

My apologies for assuming the worst.
    My comiserations for having to deal with such a mess.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

It's a mess, all right, and made worse by the fact that I'm not a programmer or a developer. I'm an author who happens to have built some zencarts in the past, so I agreed to help my best friend when she asked me to put together a site for her new audiobook business. I've learned to do a fair bit over the last several years, but this is outside my experience, so I'm not too proud to ask for help when I need it.

I'm re-uploading the older version of zencart that didn't work, for whatever good that will do. I have no idea what needs to be done from here.

Plugin Contributions

See this (https://htaccessbook.com/access-control-apache-2-4/) link for methods to create (or migrate) your .htaccess from previous Apache versions to 2.4.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you, lat9. I passed that link on to my hubby, who will hopefully know what to do with it. I hope that will fix the problems we've been having on the other sites.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The .htaccess files in the various subdirectories of Zen Cart v1.5.6 should work fine on both Apache 2.4 and older. (Actually I think we did those changes for v1.5.5, but that's moot since you're dealing with 1.5.1 for now.)
    It should be safe to copy those over to your older site. Of course, if you customized any of them, you'll need to preserve those customizations yourself.

Again, Zen Cart doesn't provide a .htaccess for the top-level directory (the one where the main index.php and ipn_main_handler.php files exist), since one is not needed there for Zen Cart's normal operation. If you have one there then you'll need to check it for any updates needed for your newer apache version.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi, DrByte! The .htaccess files I'm referring to are actually on different sites that don't have zencarts on them. Mike's working on them right now using the information lat9 sent me earlier...he thinks that will take care of that particular issue. *whew!*

If you have any suggestions how to get http://earcandyaudiobooks.com/studio/ and http://earcandyaudiobooks.com/partner-portal/ working properly (both are using 1.5.1), we'd be very grateful!

Jo

Plugin Contributions

Just wanted to update you on the .htaccess issue. Mike found the problem: The older version of Apache wasn't case-sensitive. Now it apparently is. Once he changed "Require User" to "Require user" - everything worked perfectly! LOL Thank you, lat9!!!!!

Now to fix the zencart issues!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DK_Scully View Post
    Just wanted to update you on the .htaccess issue. Mike found the problem: The older version of Apache wasn't case-sensitive. Now it apparently is. Once he changed "Require User" to "Require user" - everything worked perfectly! LOL Thank you, lat9!!!!!

Now to fix the zencart issues!
    Happy to have helped; thanks for posting back that case-sensitivity is now enforced!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by torvista View Post
    Your Zen Cart (files+database) WAS working perfectly and some files needed some minor changes to make them compatible with a more strict version of php. Only the environment has changed.
    The debug logs spell out clearly the problems with each file. Between this forum and Stackoverflow, they are all easily fixeable since most people went through the same process a long time ago so the information is out there.
    Torvista, you said some files need some minor changes. Which files, and what changes? We looked at the error logs folder, but the only thing listed was that one of our sites experienced about 15 minutes of downtime last week. There were no error messages at all regarding these two zencarts that are no longer working.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast