Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrading v1.5.5a to v1.5.5e

I am trying to upgrade from v1.5.5a to v1.5.5e. I see the upgrade instructions that recommend installing fresh in a demo folder, but I would like to just backup my site and install right over my older version. Is this possible?

Do I need to do incremental file overwriting, or just from v1.5.5a directly to v1.5.5e.

My plan is to over-write the existing core files to the latest version. Then upgrade the plugins and theme. Someone please advise I am sure there is a way to upgrade directly over the older version, I don't see any instructions. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Building a better web, one site at a time: Dayton Web Design

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrading v1.5.5a to v1.5.5e

I backed up my website. Then overwrote the older core files with the newer version. Since there was supposedly no database upgrade between any of the versions, I assume I don't need to upgrade the database.

I attempted to run the zc_install and perform an upgrade, but I was not given the option to upgrade. The notice was letting me know the upgrade would wipe out the database. So I didn't run the upgrade script, just deleted the zc-install.

When I login it says zen cart version 1.5.5e. Before I proceed with upgrading the plugins, theme, and making my core modifications I had in my list, should just overwriting the core files work in the scenario? Please advise before I put boatloads of time into upgrading the theme.

Plugin Contributions

No need for a database upgrade (typically it seems a sub-version identifies no database changes, a "new" version (1.5.6) identifies database changes that require zc_install.)

Process of the upgrade? So, big thing? Are you really willing to gamble the loss of site operation if something about this process goes wrong? How long do you think it would be before such a problem was identified to you and how much business would/could you lose?

Problem with just overwriting files is that one file overwritten may have previously contained modifications to support a modification elsewhere. If/when that file is overwritten, the store could get broken and not operate properly at some point in store navigation.

But does it require a full build out separately, no not exactly. As far as "just" overwriting files, understand that in some of the upgrade portions there are files that are/were removed. Therefore overwriting would not address the removal portion. If you used some comparison software then it may be easier to see what files need to be removed, what files need to be modified and what files need to be added...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    ... If you used some comparison software then it may be easier to see what files need to be removed, what files need to be modified and what files need to be added...
    Plus: the docs usually tell you what's new in a version, which new files are added and which ones are obsolete.

Plugin Contributions

As far as the core upgrade and overwriting files, I have one file that has 4 simple changes that I made to the original core. I would of course make these on the new version as well. I do have 2 plugins that required merging with the a few of the core files, but I have all the merge notes which I can make sure this part is also fixed when I upgrade the plugins. Other than that all my modifications were made using the recommended Zen Cart folder overwrite system. So my thinking is since, I build this right the first time using file overwrite system. Still you are right, just overwriting files has has me worried I break something.

I do use Beyond Compare and can go back through the versions and remove any core files that are no longer in use. That would be easy.

Plugin Contributions

OK I see the list of changed files for each version. I think the best course of action would be to download each incremental update, and just overwrite the updated files (there are no deleted files in any of the versions) and add any new files one version at a time.

Since there are no database upgrades, no files removed and only around 90 - 100 files overwritten between versions, I think this makes the most sense just to do this in simple incremental upgrades. Then I can go back and modify any core files that I MIGHT have changed (I have a list), from the 4 incremental upgrades. The upgrade any/all plugins.

Plugin Contributions

Has anyone ever noticed that a "shortcut" never is?
    The whole idea is to keep the customers buying while you "play" somewhere else.
    With your method, unless you set the site down for maintenance, the customer will have to suffer through every glitch with you. And, every day down for maintenance is sales lost.
    My sig used to be - You can lead a horse to water but, you can't make him take the bird out of the bush!

Plugin Contributions

To each their own. I drive a steel horse that requires little water and who wants a bird out of the bush anyway?

You can't always convince a client to spent $600 - $800 or more to upgrade their site. But you can sometimes convince them to upgrade for a few hundred. I am sure all web designers have this issue depending upon client.

This site was down a little over half a day, mostly last night during off hours and most of the time set in maintenance mode. Given the stores weekly sales record, I seriously doubt any sales were lost. If it were a busy store, major upgrade or build, or even serious time involved, it would have been built in a separate folder as recommended. A total rebuild in my case would have likely added days of work onto my project, and therefore added serious cost onto my client.

For you the whole point might be to save the visitor from downtime but my top priority on this project is to get them upgraded while save lots of time and money for my client. The visitor can come back when the site is finished, that's why the maintenance page exists. Not saying I prefer the maintenance method, but sometimes its necessary when other priorities are more pressing.

I get what you are saying but every scenario is not so black and white. Again these were small incremental updates with no database upgrade. That's why I asked to make sure. I believe the method I used was properly executed and still saved major time off the project. Since I keep good records of all my core changes, and followed each version updated files step by step, it was pretty easy. We shall see in the long run, but I always have a backup just in case :)

Anyway, thanks to all for your advice.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sports guy View Post
    ..... If it were a busy store, major upgrade or build, or even serious time involved, it would have been built in a separate folder as recommended. ......
    One tip: I usually create an identical clone of the live site on my local development server (all the same but for the 2 configure.php files), upgrade and test the clone including DB. Then, if all works as it should, I set the live site into maintenance mode and do another backup of the live DB, then using (a paid version) of Beyond Compare, the new file set is uploaded and all obsolete files are removed from the live site. Set the 2 configure.php files to writable, run zc_install and patch the DB, remove zc_install and set the 2 configure.php files back to R/O. Site goes live again. Done.

That whole lot leaves the live site out of business for max 1 hour, may be a bit longer if the old version is something ancient like 1.3.7, 1.3.8 or 1.3.9. All the hard work is done locally and does not affect sales.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sports guy View Post
    OK I see the list of changed files for each version. I think the best course of action would be to download each incremental update, and just overwrite the updated files (there are no deleted files in any of the versions) and add any new files one version at a time.

Since there are no database upgrades, no files removed and only around 90 - 100 files overwritten between versions, I think this makes the most sense just to do this in simple incremental upgrades. Then I can go back and modify any core files that I MIGHT have changed (I have a list), from the 4 incremental upgrades. The upgrade any/all plugins.
    Actually, since you have a tool like Beyond Compare, there was no need for an incremental update, unless you are saying that if someone were to attempt to install ZC 1.5.5e that it is inherently faulty as compared to a previous version. Each version release is a full version. The last version is the one that will be used. Doing the incremental upgrade (regarding sub-versions of 1.5.5) actually increases the chances of something being/going wrong and certainly added more time to the effort. I didn't get a chance to say this yesterday and likely save you a fair amount of time and effort.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast