Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Sorting products in the store

Quote Originally Posted by CaroleAs View Post
    Thank you for clarifying that the default installation didn't offer that sorting capability. At least, I know it has nothing to do with incorrect installation.

I'll look further into this as it will take me several readings to make sense of it. Thanks for all those details.

Knowing that the next version is probably already in the making, is there a way to suggest that this be reinstated? I am pretty sure it was there before I upgraded, and I don't see why, searching inside a category, a user would not be able to sort them to see what is the newest product in that particular category, and only have them alphabetically ordered.
    If I didn't know any better, it would be my guess that it was on your old site, but didn't get carried over to your new one. Again a time to go a file comparing between override files and their vanilla version (ideally both within the same set of files, but could be that the vanilla version was modified as well which would mean to compare that base file with a vanila version as downloaded from the ZC website.)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

As I was re-asked by a customer whether it was possible to sort products by new to old inside individual categories, I am revisiting this thread.

I am trying to make sense of all the details in mc12345678's post but so far, I am not very successfull.

You are referring to several files and codes, and either I don't find such file (like includes/modules/YOUR_TEMPLATE/listing_display_order.php) Or i have no clue where to put the code you included.

You also mentioned "I believe others have posted in the forum about it where specific code has been provided." yet, I might be searching for the wrong keywords because I cannot find anything.

Would you be able to review this and point me to the right direction OR post them directly?

Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

This mod of mine contains some useful information in the docs that may help you understand the sorting mechanism....it does indeed make your head spin.
    https://github.com/torvista/zen-cart...listing_sorter
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CaroleAs View Post
    As I was re-asked by a customer whether it was possible to sort products by new to old inside individual categories, I am revisiting this thread.

I am trying to make sense of all the details in mc12345678's post but so far, I am not very successfull.

You are referring to several files and codes, and either I don't find such file (like includes/modules/YOUR_TEMPLATE/listing_display_order.php) Or i have no clue where to put the code you included.

You also mentioned "I believe others have posted in the forum about it where specific code has been provided." yet, I might be searching for the wrong keywords because I cannot find anything.

Would you be able to review this and point me to the right direction OR post them directly?

Thank you.
    As I was saying, a properly kept site (at least as recommended in the FAQ of this site) would place all overrideable modifications into a template override version of the file. That template override would occur in the includes/modules/YOUR_TEMPLATE/listing_display_order.php file based on my previous review. YOUR_TEMPLATE would be identifiable from the catalog side by review of the page's source code (right click and then view source) as the sub-directory that follows any search of: '/templates/'. Further in keeping with the template override system, if that file did not exist, then the file of the same name is used at: includes/modules/ such as includes/modules/listing_display_order.php which is provided in a base install, but may have been modified to support operations needed on the previous site.

To identify if such changes were made, comparison of that base file to the same file of a fresh download of ZC at the same release level would help to identify what changes had been made and ideally why.

Seeing as this conversation is over 2 years old, attempting now to try to find conversations that were held "recent" to that date is harder than it was then. I read a lot of the issues posted and while it is unfortunate to not be able to recall specifically where such is/was posted it may have been as "simple" as what torvista has provided as a reference. So I'm not so sure I could easily locate it myself while instead I would probably just seek to make the changes I saw as necessary to complete the task if asked...

There are some search ninjas out there though that probably could find specific related posts.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

OK let's assume I am starting fresh, and I don't have a previous version to compare with, is there a way to allow the viewer to search, inside categories by sorting the products by DATE of release?

Following MC12345678's instructions, some files mentioned, I don't even have them, like includes/modules/YOUR_TEMPLATE/listing_display_order.php so i can't edit it or add any code.

What should I do?

Or is Torvista's module the only (easy) way to do it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12