Thread: IPN Errors

Plugin Contributions

Default IPN Errors

I have been using this software without issue for years, and now I'm getting an email from PayPal stating they are receiving IPN errors and are threatening to turn off this feature on their end. I have not made any changes or updates to this software in a long time. I don't even know what changed to cause this.

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

http://store.everythingaquatic.net/ipn_main_handler.php

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

Thanks,

PayPal
    After turning on the debugger, I've learned that these errors are generated when I make an eBay sale or when someone sends money for any other reason. Apparently PayPal is receiving errors for every transaction that is outside of zen cart.....and the above URL is to my zen cart store.

Is there a way to trap these errors and stop them from being sent back to PayPal? I don't want to lose the ability to receive IPN calls when orders are placed withing my zen cart store.

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: IPN Errors

ZC-1.5.5e, PHP 5.6.32, Database patch level 1.5.5

I'm getting the same IPN errors from Paypal when a sale is made on ebay independent of my store Website.
    I'm using Paypal Express Checkout only.

Any help would be appreciated

Plugin Contributions

Internet searches on this topic indicate that this relates to the setup of the paypal account on the paypal website. This outside thread seemed to help others resolve a similar issue: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/...p/29825/page/3
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mikebr View Post
    ZC-1.5.5e, PHP 5.6.32, Database patch level 1.5.5

I'm getting the same IPN errors from Paypal when a sale is made on ebay independent of my store Website.
    I'm using Paypal Express Checkout only.

One thing that I noticed in the original-poster's message is that the IPN address in the message was an http:// based URL instead of an https:// based one.

Depending on your store's location, PayPal has been sending out messages to store owners regarding the IPN post-back address' requirement for the https:// protocol. Is your issue similar?

Plugin Contributions

According to Paypal thay want the switch for IPN turned off for all IPN notifictions to the store website. If a transaction is made outside of the store website such as Ebay, if the IPN switch is on the result will be an IPN Error .

The question is will turning off the Paypal IPN switch result in any consequences to the store website Paypal sales?
    Is it better to have a dedicated Paypal account strictly for the Store Website so the IPN switch could be on?

Plugin Contributions

These are the details of a transaction on ebay taken from my paypal account:

Instant Payment Notification (IPN) details

Message ID1XJ079oplkiujhhy
    Date/time created12/18/2017 03:25 PST
    Original/ResentOriginal
    Latest delivery attempt date/time12/19/2017 02:10 PST
    Notification URLhttp://mysite/ipn_main_handler.php
    HTTP response codeWhat's this?404
    Delivery statusRetrying
    No. of retries14
    Transaction ID60EDDERKLJUYYHY
    IPN typeTransaction made
    IPN Messageood.&last_name=Furst&address_state=MA&item_name1=VINTAGE "PIRATE SKULL" # 337 STILL GLOWS IN THE DARK&[email protected]&payment_fee=1.16&shipping_discount=0.00&quantit y1=1&insurance_amount=0.00&receiver_id=tymkjjugtr&txn_type=cart&item_name=VINTAG E "PIRATE SKULL" # 337 STILL GLOWS IN THE DARK&discount=0.00&mc_gross_1=20.99&mc_currency=USD&item_number=292374467772&res idence_country=US&shipping_method=Default&transaction_subject=&payment_gross=29. 49&ipn_track_id=asenjhkiiku

An IPN was sent to my site resulting in a 404 error.

What is the best solution for these IPN errors?
    Can the ipn_main_handler.php file respond to outside transactions with a generic answer avoiding ipn errors?

Plugin Contributions

These are the details of a transaction on ebay taken from my paypal account:

Instant Payment Notification (IPN) details

Message ID1XJ079oplkiujhhy
    Date/time created12/18/2017 03:25 PST
    Original/ResentOriginal
    Latest delivery attempt date/time12/19/2017 02:10 PST
    Notification URLhttp://mysite/ipn_main_handler.php
    HTTP response codeWhat's this?404
    Delivery statusRetrying
    No. of retries14
    Transaction ID60EDDERKLJUYYHY
    IPN typeTransaction made
    IPN Messageood.&last_name=Furst&address_state=MA&item_name1=VINTAGE "PIRATE SKULL" # 337 STILL GLOWS IN THE DARK&[email protected]&payment_fee=1.16&shipping_discount=0.00&quantit y1=1&insurance_amount=0.00&receiver_id=tymkjjugtr&txn_type=cart&item_name=VINTAG E "PIRATE SKULL" # 337 STILL GLOWS IN THE DARK&discount=0.00&mc_gross_1=20.99&mc_currency=USD&item_number=292374467772&res idence_country=US&shipping_method=Default&transaction_subject=&payment_gross=29. 49&ipn_track_id=asenjhkiiku

An IPN was sent to my site resulting in a 404 error.

What is the best solution for these IPN errors?
    Can the ipn_main_handler.php file respond to outside transactions with a generic answer avoiding ipn errors?

A 404 error would imply that http://mysite/ipn_main_handler.php doesn't exist. Are you sure that the ipn_main_handler.php file is in the root directory on your site?

Plugin Contributions

Hi Lat9

When a sale is made on my site Everything works fine. The handshaking between paypal's IPN and the sites listener ipn_main_handler.php is working without any errors.
    When a transaction is made outside of the website and Paypal tries to matchup the sale data with my website, paypal calls it a 404 error.
    The following was taken from paypals Website:

Why did I get emails telling me that IPNs sent to a URL are failing?

Issue
    You got messages about failing IPNs.

Cause
    If you receive payments from different venues (such as eBay, invoicing, or personal payments), make sure that you haven't set a specific URL on your profile to handle all IPNs. Because this URL belongs to the shopping cart, it won't recognize notifications created for external events and will return an error instead.

Solution

Here's how to resolve this issue:
    1. Log in to your Live PayPal account or your Sandbox account.
    2. Select Profile > Profile and settings.
    3. Click My selling tools, then click Update next to Instant payment notifications.
    4. If a URL has already been set, click Turn Off IPN.
    5. Click Confirm.

IPNs will still be sent to your shopping cart on a case by case basis, as required through the payment request.

If this doesn't resolve your issue, submit a support ticket for further assistance.

Here PayPal admits an IPN error will ensue for outside transactions(why they call it a 404 dont know). PayPal would prefer to turn off the IPN switch.
    The question is when a URL is specified in the IPN settings as above and then the IPN switch is turned off does the website still get IPNs from PayPal for transactions at the website. If thats the case then this will eliminate IPN errors from outside transactions and this would be the solution.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Lat9

When a sale is made on my site Everything works fine. The handshaking between paypal's IPN and the sites listener ipn_main_handler.php is working without any errors.
    When a transaction is made outside of the website and Paypal tries to matchup the sale data with my website, paypal calls it a 404 error.
    The following was taken from paypals Website:

Why did I get emails telling me that IPNs sent to a URL are failing?

Issue
    You got messages about failing IPNs.

Cause
    If you receive payments from different venues (such as eBay, invoicing, or personal payments), make sure that you haven't set a specific URL on your profile to handle all IPNs. Because this URL belongs to the shopping cart,
    it won't recognize notifications created for external events and will return an error instead.

Solution

Here's how to resolve this issue:
    1. Log in to your Live PayPal account or your Sandbox account.
    2. Select Profile > Profile and settings.
    3. Click My selling tools, then click Update next to Instant payment notifications.
    4. If a URL has already been set, click Turn Off IPN.
    5. Click Confirm.

IPNs will still be sent to your shopping cart on a case by case basis, as required through the payment request.

If this doesn't resolve your issue, submit a support ticket for further assistance.

Here PayPal admits an IPN error will ensue for outside transactions(why they call it a 404 dont know). PayPal would prefer to turn off the IPN switch.
    The question is when a URL is specified in the IPN settings as above and then the IPN switch is turned off does the website still get IPNs from PayPal for transactions at the website. If thats the case then this will eliminate IPN errors from outside transactions and this would be the solution.
    Looks like they answered your questions in their response. If it is not recognized as valid, that is the 404. If the request is from your site, it will include the the request for a return which PayPal will accept and comply.