Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can't connect to database

Quote Originally Posted by barco57 View Post
    ok, cpanel... go in and remove the current user on the database, create a new user and attach it to the database and change the config files to use that new connection information for the new user.
    I'll try that, though I'm squeamish about removing anything at this point, lol.

Plugin Contributions

its a basic thing to do, 11 years of Zen Cart specific hosting support knowledge is my background... though with you now saying that the front end is showing maybe only one of the config files is messed up. So comapre the config files first to see if there is a difference in connection information
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

Nope, added a new user, changed the configure files, deleted the old user, exact same problem. Except that now the front end isn't coming up at all.

Plugin Contributions

And no errors are being generated at all, either by the server or in the zencart debug logs

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Also should mention. When ZC identifies the inability to connect to the database, it typically starts off with some "cookie-cutter" message, but it's the last few bullets in the message that really get to the meat of the issue and should identify what the cause is for not being able to connect. If that can't be decyphered, then please post the entirety of the message protecting whatever nugget is now considered "personal" though it may have previously been published elsewhere.
    No problem with doing that, but I'm not sure where to find it. Nothing is being logged in the zencart error file.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by HeleneWallis View Post
    No problem with doing that, but I'm not sure where to find it. Nothing is being logged in the zencart error file.
    Ok. There have been like 4 or 5 threads that seem related to this issue. In each there have been diagnostic suggestions offered to see what is loading within ZC. The current situation hasn't identified if a blank screen is involved, the FAQ to which has been previously provided. Considering that the configure.php files have been edited, I would repeat barco57's comment about checking those files for proper format and information. The fact that the front end gets started indicates that there is/was a database connection but then if there was a database problem logged at the server level it may be that they have some sort of database caching or other utility that is causing an issue.

All that plus there has been no discussion/answer about the file comparison(s) that have been requested. I know I still haven't gone back to review the presence somewhere in the file system for one of the issues that was reported in the server log and reportedly a server side only issue that supposedly was adjusted/corrected, but begs the question of how a server could be setup in that way to cause the issue(s) observed and still be considered a functional server...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Ok. There have been like 4 or 5 threads that seem related to this issue. In each there have been diagnostic suggestions offered to see what is loading within ZC. The current situation hasn't identified if a blank screen is involved, the FAQ to which has been previously provided. Considering that the configure.php files have been edited, I would repeat barco57's comment about checking those files for proper format and information. The fact that the front end gets started indicates that there is/was a database connection but then if there was a database problem logged at the server level it may be that they have some sort of database caching or other utility that is causing an issue.

All that plus there has been no discussion/answer about the file comparison(s) that have been requested. I know I still haven't gone back to review the presence somewhere in the file system for one of the issues that was reported in the server log and reportedly a server side only issue that supposedly was adjusted/corrected, but begs the question of how a server could be setup in that way to cause the issue(s) observed and still be considered a functional server...
    A file comparison has been done and no differences were found. I'm puzzled as to why the front end loaded at all on that one occasion. It will not load now. I just get the zencart error message that 'there seems to be a problem connecting to our database.' I was getting the same problem on the admin side, but now am just getting a blank screen. That's the first time that has happened. I had to be away from the computer for a couple of hours and turned it off, and this is the first time I've tried again since then. On the previous tries, even after changing configure.php to point to the new username on the database, I got the same 'couldn't connect to database' message as on the front end. I'm aware of the probable implications of a blank screen, but this is the first time that has happened. I also went back to the two configure.php files, made sure the ftp program was set to 'text' and uploaded them again, as failing to do that has occasionally caused problems in the past. Same results.

I can't get a straight answer out of the people there, and no one would ever tell me what they did to resolve the original problem. I've had one story after another, with people contradicting each other left and right. On top of everything else now, I'm not getting mail either, nothing since early yesterday. So I'll have to call them back about that.

I checked the debug files in zencart again, and this time I am finding an error, again for the first time.

[29-Oct-2017 16:28:25 America/Denver] Request URI: /index.php?main_page=site_map, IP address: 66.249.79.135
    #1 mysqli_connect() called at [/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/includes/classes/db/mysql/query_factory.php:64]
    #2 queryFactory->connect() called at [/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/includes/init_includes/init_database.php:23]
    #3 require(/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/includes/init_includes/init_database.php) called at [/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/includes/autoload_func.php:48]
    #4 require(/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/includes/autoload_func.php) called at [/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/includes/application_top.php:170]
    #5 require(/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/includes/application_top.php) called at [/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/index.php:26]

I hope that's some help. I understand some of what it's saying but not all.

Plugin Contributions

at this point, I would be hesitant to offer any ideas without being able to login and see for myself.
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by barco57 View Post
    at this point, I would be hesitant to offer any ideas without being able to login and see for myself.
    I'm not inherently opposed to that. I see that you run a server for Zencart hosting. We may need to talk about how I can switch to your site. I am so over this I can hardly speak coherently. I'll pm you.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by HeleneWallis View Post
    A file comparison has been done and no differences were found. I'm puzzled as to why the front end loaded at all on that one occasion. It will not load now. I just get the zencart error message that 'there seems to be a problem connecting to our database.' I was getting the same problem on the admin side, but now am just getting a blank screen. That's the first time that has happened. I had to be away from the computer for a couple of hours and turned it off, and this is the first time I've tried again since then. On the previous tries, even after changing configure.php to point to the new username on the database, I got the same 'couldn't connect to database' message as on the front end. I'm aware of the probable implications of a blank screen, but this is the first time that has happened. I also went back to the two configure.php files, made sure the ftp program was set to 'text' and uploaded them again, as failing to do that has occasionally caused problems in the past. Same results.

I can't get a straight answer out of the people there, and no one would ever tell me what they did to resolve the original problem. I've had one story after another, with people contradicting each other left and right. On top of everything else now, I'm not getting mail either, nothing since early yesterday. So I'll have to call them back about that.

I checked the debug files in zencart again, and this time I am finding an error, again for the first time.

[29-Oct-2017 16:28:25 America/Denver] Request URI: /index.php?main_page=site_map, IP address: 66.249.79.135
    #1 mysqli_connect() called at [/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/includes/classes/db/mysql/query_factory.php:64]
    #2 queryFactory->connect() called at [/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/includes/init_includes/init_database.php:23]
    #3 require(/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/includes/init_includes/init_database.php) called at [/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/includes/autoload_func.php:48]
    #4 require(/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/includes/autoload_func.php) called at [/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/includes/application_top.php:170]
    #5 require(/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/includes/application_top.php) called at [/home/darwinhi/public_html/newnaturalsonline/index.php:26]

I hope that's some help. I understand some of what it's saying but not all.
    Actually, this isn't the error message itself, this is the path to how the error was generated. The error is what appears below this portion of the mydebug log file.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast