Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customizing the admin itself...

Quote Originally Posted by Feznizzle View Post
    Next up (if I ever find the time for it), I'm going to rename/sort/move items around on the Configuration menu. Every single time I need something over there I have to relearn it all.
    Seeing that you have a "quick link" to the developers tool kit, there's a search feature that specifically goes through the configuration "table" and can help find those "where's that at again" items. Second box down.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Seeing that you have a "quick link" to the developers tool kit, there's a search feature that specifically goes through the configuration "table" and can help find those "where's that at again" items. Second box down.
    Exactly! And *now* you know why I put the Dev Tool Kit in my link list. I use that feature ("where's that thing again?") ALL the flipping time.

My goal in screwing around with the Configuration menu is to *reduce* my constant use of Dev Tool Kit! One way to do that will be to alter the titles listed on the drop down menus to provide more specific, clearer hints at what lives there.

Plugin Contributions

In my opinion, there are two big issues that prevent ZC from insanely wide use (on the order of WordPress, for instance):
    1. Amount of work required to create an appealing template.
    2. The admin gui.

I have no idea how to fix the first, but there has to be a better way. I'm not saying go all out like Wix (ever set up a site on Wix? Man, talk about easy), but there should be some basic controls in the admin for skinning a store. And the controls that do exist (setting images max heights, ordering how you present price, model #, product title, etc, on product list pages) should be put together on massively simplified pages that are easy to understand and use.

As for the second issue, fixing that is simple. Not easy, but simple. It needs to rethought out, completely. What is needed and why? How should information be structured? What things logically go together? How should it be presented?

If that gets done in 1.6, probably the most important thing is that a *non-coder* should be in charge of naming things and writing the instructions that go along with them. Personally, I think that is the source of the admin frustrations. It was put together by coders who know the system well because they built it. It's impossible for them to back up and write instructions from the perspective of somebody who doesn't have a clue.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I've been a heavy user of ZC for at least 7 years now. I'm firmly onboard. I may moan from time to time, but I gots love. Lots of love!

Believe me, I know ZC is open source. And that it's being built and supported by a community of volunteers. For all my moaning, I recognize this. I'm grateful for what exists currently. And I try to contribute in my own small way. Any time I ask a question, if it doesn't get answered in the thread, I try to come back and post whatever solution I find (as I did above).

Plugin Contributions

The GUI is being worked on, 1.6 will have a new design.
    Currently I am working on updating many pages, so the are better readable, and have a more modern look. They won't make it into Zen Cart 1.5.6, but maybe 1.5.7??
    The attributes controller page will have a new design in 1.5.6 (similar design as the one included in CITTINS).
    I'll drop some page in to Github.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feznizzle View Post
    In my opinion, there are two big issues that prevent ZC from insanely wide use (on the order of WordPress, for instance):
    1. Amount of work required to create an appealing template.
    2. The admin gui.

I have no idea how to fix the first, but there has to be a better way. I'm not saying go all out like Wix (ever set up a site on Wix? Man, talk about easy), but there should be some basic controls in the admin for skinning a store. And the controls that do exist (setting images max heights, ordering how you present price, model #, product title, etc, on product list pages) should be put together on massively simplified pages that are easy to understand and use.

As for the second issue, fixing that is simple. Not easy, but simple. It needs to rethought out, completely. What is needed and why? How should information be structured? What things logically go together? How should it be presented?

If that gets done in 1.6, probably the most important thing is that a *non-coder* should be in charge of naming things and writing the instructions that go along with them. Personally, I think that is the source of the admin frustrations. It was put together by coders who know the system well because they built it. It's impossible for them to back up and write instructions from the perspective of somebody who doesn't have a clue.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I've been a heavy user of ZC for at least 7 years now. I'm firmly onboard. I may moan from time to time, but I gots love. Lots of love!

Believe me, I know ZC is open source. And that it's being built and supported by a community of volunteers. For all my moaning, I recognize this. I'm grateful for what exists currently. And I try to contribute in my own small way. Any time I ask a question, if it doesn't get answered in the thread, I try to come back and post whatever solution I find (as I did above).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12