Plugin Contributions

Default Idea for adding to Developers Tool Kit

What if there was a tool called Modified File Tracker that automatically tracked changes made to ZC core/template files?

The tool would need two things:
    1. Access to current template selection (for checking override files).
    2. A pristine, virgin copy of whatever ZC version you are currently using.

It could process the following requests:
    List off ALL modified files and there locations - This way, when you go to install a mod that has core/template changes, you can quickly figure out which files need merging. When you run it, the tool first compares your current file/folder structure against the archived copy of default file/folders. Any files living in override folders automatically get flagged as modified and set aside. Then it goes thru compares the remaining current files to the respective default files, flagging any that have been altered. The first comparison (overrides) then get shuffled together with the second (all other), a list spits out.

Generate shorter modified file lists, targeted by type - You could limit to admin, core, template, whatev.

Override Checker - This would check for modified files that *should* be moved to override folders. When you run it, the tool first eliminates any files already properly living in override folders. Then it goes thru to compare the remaining files, archive to current. If it finds any files that should have been moved to override folders it warns the user. Optionally, it can automatically complete the task (create an override folder, move the modified file to the folder, and place an unmodified (from archive) where it should be.

My guess is that if this was as easy done as said, somebody would have done this forever ago. Maybe it's out there already? Sadly, I'm not smart enough to create a tool like this, but idea us off my chest now!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Idea for adding to Developers Tool Kit

Well tools like that do exist, but not in Zen Cart. It is called "Beyond Compare", and another is "WinMerge". These are file comparison program's

Plugin Contributions

I use TextWrangler. I'm pretty good at using regex with it, editing big files, even multiple files at a time. And, of course, for file merging. But I've never used it for comparing lots of files all at once.

I'll look into it, thanks.

Btw, any chance I could get you to take a peak at this?
    https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....12#post1337712

The start of that conversation is just above, in case you want started the issue.

Plugin Contributions

I use Mod List with a small change just for my pleasure.

Plugin Contributions

Sweeeeet! Thanks, dbltoe!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.