Plugin Contributions

Default How do I install a new template?

I have zen cart freshly installed in cPanel. I went to Template Monster and downloaded a free theme. The instructions they give you for uploading the theme are:
    ----------------
    1. How to install a Zen Cart Template.
    First of all you need to download the purchased template to your computer. The download link is available from your order details page.

When the template download is complete you need to extract the files from the downloaded package. This can be done using the WinZip (Windows OS) or Stuffit Expander (MAC OS) applications. Don't forget to extract the files from the inner sources_XXXX.zip package. The sources archive is password protected and contains the template source files. The password can be obtained from the order details page.

The installation process is quite simple. Open the template folder with the extracted Zen Cart template files.

1. Open the "theme600" folder and upload the "includes" folder to Zen Cart installation root on your server.

2. Then open Zen Cart store admin panel and go to "Tools > Template Selection".

3. In the right column click Edit button and in the appeared select box choose new template (theme600).

(Sorry if this is super dumb; I'm new) I bolded that part that I don't understand. How does one "extract the files from the inner sources?" nothing in there looks zipped? also, there is nothing that looks like a password on the order details page?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I install a new template?

Three maybe four things I see. Getting a template from template monster, it's a free template so wouldn't expect to actually find anything associated with a paid version, the additional file discussed appears to be called sources_xxx and it is located somewhere within the first compressed file. The file(s) may not appear to be compressed in more recent versions of Windows where one is allowed to just go in and navigate compressed files.

One thing that may be discovered is that multiple normal features of Zen Cart operations and display may not work or may look really bad with the template. Getting these corrected also could be difficult but that is something also to be seen through attempting to use it (preferably on a test version of the site).
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Three maybe four things I see. Getting a template from template monster, it's a free template so wouldn't expect to actually find anything associated with a paid version, the additional file discussed appears to be called sources_xxx and it is located somewhere within the first compressed file. The file(s) may not appear to be compressed in more recent versions of Windows where one is allowed to just go in and navigate compressed files.

One thing that may be discovered is that multiple normal features of Zen Cart operations and display may not work or may look really bad with the template. Getting these corrected also could be difficult but that is something also to be seen through attempting to use it (preferably on a test version of the site).
    Thanks! You were right about the newer version of windows not showing the file as zipped. Also about the template looking off; there is an error message at the bottom of the page and most of the text isn't appearing. Which is fine; I'm just trying to learn how to upload themes and stuff on a test site. Is this typical whenever installing a new theme? Do you always have to troubleshoot and figure out how to fix and adjust new themes? Or is this just because it's a crappy free theme?

Plugin Contributions

Template Monster === crappy.

You might try rbarbour's Bootstrap 4 template (also free): https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....strap-Template

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Thanks! You were right about the newer version of windows not showing the file as zipped. Also about the template looking off; there is an error message at the bottom of the page and most of the text isn't appearing. Which is fine; I'm just trying to learn how to upload themes and stuff on a test site. Is this typical whenever installing a new theme? Do you always have to troubleshoot and figure out how to fix and adjust new themes? Or is this just because it's a crappy free theme?
    Generally, when a free template is first released, other than possibly a few display issues (this positioned over there), the template functions as designed and described. If however, new Zen Cart versions have been released following that point, there may be such issues. We here in the Zen Cart Forum at one point had the free services of a template author where the template's always worked though may have had some of those display issues. That individual for one reason or another hasn't been as active (to say the least) in a while. So, yes, you may see some issues with such a free template in the latest ZC version(s), but the fixes are generally in incorporating the changes that have been made to the base template(s).

All of that also said, there are a few things you will want to become familiar with as you venture into new templates and other code. I don't have all of the links readily available, but a few troubleshooting ones are: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?124-blank-page
    https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...-and-try-again
    https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...s-already-sent

Plugin Contributions

Generally, when a free template is first released, other than possibly a few display issues (this positioned over there), the template functions as designed and described. If however, new Zen Cart versions have been released following that point, there may be such issues. We here in the Zen Cart Forum at one point had the free services of a template author where the template's always worked though may have had some of those display issues. That individual for one reason or another hasn't been as active (to say the least) in a while. So, yes, you may see some issues with such a free template in the latest ZC version(s), but the fixes are generally in incorporating the changes that have been made to the base template(s).

All of that also said, there are a few things you will want to become familiar with as you venture into new templates and other code. I don't have all of the links readily available, but a few troubleshooting ones are: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?124-blank-page
    https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...-and-try-again
    https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...s-already-sent
    Oh wow thanks so much for the links and info!

Plugin Contributions

Oh wow thanks so much for the links and info!
    Welcome, also there are plenty of other "common" issues that are addressed in the FAQ and of course the forum.

Plugin Contributions

Welcome, also there are plenty of other "common" issues that are addressed in the FAQ and of course the forum.
    Thanks! Yeah, it's really rather difficult to navigate for a noob, though. So, it's nice to have things clearly pointed out. :)

Plugin Contributions

Thanks! Yeah, it's really rather difficult to navigate for a noob, though. So, it's nice to have things clearly pointed out. :)
    Well, at one point early in my learning, I just read FAQS, whether they applied to any issue I was having or not. Now, I generally do single word searches: warning, email, htaccess, password, move, template, the like... Then read what I can of the titles and review each that seem applicable...

Beyond that, using your favorite Internet search tool, enter the basics of what I am seeking and include Zen Cart in the search. Find associated forum threads and then possibly more similar items at the bottom of the thread(s) found...

The developers tool kit is also SUPER useful for finding things... keep up the work, ask questions when you can't find something, but remember no one else is logged into your site or intimately familiar with it so please address the posting tips when trying to seek assistance. It really cuts down on the back and forth and will help you get an answer quickly.