Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: trouble enabling HTTPS for my website

Quote Originally Posted by Herbs2Care View Post
    I don't know what 644 is.
    What do you use to modify files on your server? 644 is the permissions that allow editing of a file. May also see reference to chmod which allows editing of the permissions.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

The files are with inmotion hosting using cpanel

Plugin Contributions

Okay, if you use the file manager in cpanel, you would navigate to the file you want to edit. If the file is includes/configure.php, you will need to navigate the left-hand folder view to get to the includes directory. You should see a modules folder and a templates folder at the bottom of the folders listed in the right-hand panel.

Scroll down till you see the configure.php file. All the way to the right is the permission for that file. It is probably set at 444 while all the others around it are 644. The difference? 644 can be changed: 444 is "locked".

Click the iccon next to configure.php and it will be highlighted. In the top menu, find Permmissions and click on that. it will show you a representation of the current permission settings. In the case of EITHER configure.php file, you will need to make sure that the file is 644 to edit and then returned to 444 after editing. Simply click the spot for User Write and the numbers will change to 644. Now you can edit and save the file.

When you're done, be sure to change the permissions back to 444. Just un-check the User Write.

Plugin Contributions

It's currently set to 0440. What does that mean? I'll give it a try with 644.

Plugin Contributions

It means that there are even fewer ways to read/execute the file than how others have it setup.

In your case you would want to go for 0644 or at least 0640 to be able to edit the file. And so you further understand, the edit is about being able to save changes.

It is one thing to be able to open a file, move the cursor around, add, delete, and modify information that is seen on the screen and it is another thing to save those changes. The edit permissions relate to being able to save the changes.

After saving, suggest also refreshing the screen and then opening the file to verify that the changes were actually saved.

Plugin Contributions

If you look at the permissions pop-up, you'll see that 440 means that the World cannot even see the file. Each configure should be set to 644 to edit and 444 after the changes are saved.

Plugin Contributions

Okay, I've changed the permissions to 0644 before editing and then to 0444 after editing. No effect.

I am noticing that there is a little notice that says "this page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources." It has probably always been there, but it seems like it may be important. It has probably always been there, but I am noticing it now so I don't think it is new.

Also, am I editing the right .htaccess file? I'm seeing it all over the place. Which one should I be editing?

Plugin Contributions

And now I think I've really screwed it up as our website theme no longer loads.

Plugin Contributions

Okay, I've changed the permissions to 0644 before editing and then to 0444 after editing. No effect.

I am noticing that there is a little notice that says "this page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources." It has probably always been there, but it seems like it may be important. It has probably always been there, but I am noticing it now so I don't think it is new.

Also, am I editing the right .htaccess file? I'm seeing it all over the place. Which one should I be editing?
    To force everyone to https and to or not to www., the htaccess file that would be necessary would be in the root of your store where you have index.php, the includes folder, the images folder, the editors folder, possibly the extras folder (if it is still on the server), the ipn_handler.php file, the ajax.php file, etc... in a default install of ZC such an htacess file is not present and must be created to accomplish what has been suggested. If another htaccess file has been edited, then it could explain some of what is being seen. As far as the world being able to see the includes/configure.php file it doesn't so that particular setting is of no consequence.

Now one thing I noticed is that by selecting the link that was provided in the OP, I was not redirected to https nor was the www. removed, so that does seem like something is amiss. The links on the page all point to a www-less link which is what has been suggested based on other reviews, but nothing (yet) redirects a www address to a non-www address when trying to access the site initially. (htaccess in the root is supposed to do that)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12