Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: CSS Mystery: Can't figure out where this is!

Quote Originally Posted by Feznizzle View Post
    Thanks, MC!

That was driving me nuts. I had noticed that firefox and chrome represented the color differently and had seen the resource (in chrome it was rgb(192,192,192)). But I could find no reference to either in my css. lol

Anyway, I agree with you. I should have gone with the flow, rather than trying to "simplify" css.

For that reason, I will spend my day undoing this blunder so that I can move forward sensibly. My template is a clone of Responive Classic. So I'm going to drop the default Responsive Classic css back into my current template, then merge my customizations over. Gonna be a long flipping day (grrrrr!), but it will make my life so much easier when it's over!
    Well, I wish the tone of the following statement was could be more inspiring: Good luck!!!

I say this for the following reasons.

So, you followed a few pieces of advice to get to where you are currently. Clone a template, use this other plugin.

Now there is something about it that you're not happy with. I'm not sure what that is, but I can tell you that if you revert to just the default responsive_classic template and then try to make your site look like it did (starting to get time travel weird) without using the revised css files? You may be in for yet a longer day than anticipated.

From what I've seen, there are characteristics of the responsive_classic template "design" (arrangement? File sequencing?) that limit the ease of some of the customization unfortunately. Along comes this other plugin that splits things out and appears to solve some of those issues while also reworking the overall model.

Now add to that it appears from your own statements that even though the additional code made it somewhat easier to locate the things that have been defined, placing your modifications has been difficult to determine.

I would say that in a way some of the recommendations about reading on css and other general website design may be of benefit in this regards and while there may be some rub between those in the discussion, I would discourage you shooting yourself in the foot by trying to make several style changes to the default responsive_classic without at least expanding on some of the override capabilities for the css.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Once again I find myself agreeing with you.

I just did a file compare of css files from the split mod against Classic Responsive. There are so many changes that have nothing to do with color that it would be insanely tough to rebuild and end up back where I am now.

Plus, I no longer believe the mod is responsible for the problems I've been encountering. It is now evident that it's mostly user error caused by a steep learning curve. I can handle most of it, but I struggle most with button effects.

In the end, I've decided not to chuck the baby out with the bath water. I reverse my earlier critiques of the split mod and ask that the judges strike the testimony from the record.

Thanks yet again, MC.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Feznizzle View Post
    Once again I find myself agreeing with you.

I just did a file compare of css files from the split mod against Classic Responsive. There are so many changes that have nothing to do with color that it would be insanely tough to rebuild and end up back where I am now.

Plus, I no longer believe the mod is responsible for the problems I've been encountering. It is now evident that it's mostly user error caused by a steep learning curve. I can handle most of it, but I struggle most with button effects.

In the end, I've decided not to chuck the baby out with the bath water. I reverse my earlier critiques of the split mod and ask that the judges strike the testimony from the record.

Thanks yet again, MC.
    I say this with nothing but kindness and the heart of a teacher.

You are so he77 bent on getting to "purdy" and perfect that you are getting on your horse and riding madly off in ALL directions.

As MC# stated the Color Change Mod came about from 20+ hours of two extremely knowledgeable folks TRYING to make a color change to Respsonsive_Classic in one area without affecting 10-20 others parts of the cart

What followed our utter frustration resulted in well over 100 hours of extensive testing, trial and error and some FM (ask a friend) to break everything out so that a user could confidently change an item knowing that it would not #$#(_ the cart in some other area(s).

Not only does the Color Change mod separate the colors into one stylesheet, it also includes changes in margins, widths, heights, etc , etc, etc... Those changes that were found necessary to "fix" the stylesheet display problems, not just color.

Is it perfect? NOPE But, you'll notice that there are several stylesheets included in the mod. That didn't happen just because of color change alone. Much, as I said, was to also "fix" the display. We went through nearly 20 mobile phone display simulations in portrait and landscape alone.

There are still MAJOR problems if you decide to use a "non-standard" width for the left or right columns. We simply could not rewrite enough to cover all the options. If you change a column width, make sure it's in the stylesheet.

Now, with a couple of search and replace actions, a shop owner can have a responsive shopping cart in colors that are compatible with their color scheme. Following the included instructions should take less than thirty minutes to change the provided color scheme once the new scheme is selected. Of course we recommend the following procedure:
    • Install Zen Cart
    • Install Color Change Mod
    • Change ONLY Color Scheme in Color Change Mod
    • Use lat9's Clone a Template Mod to clone the Color Change Mod template to YOUR_NAME template.
    • Now start making changes to YOUR_TEMPLATE - You'll always have the original, color-changed mod to fall back on or use to compare
    • Enter Product
    • Load enough mods to take money and ship product.
    • SELL
    • adjust as needed after first sale.

Final observation/advice. You seem to be using file search to find layout information. That like lifting the hood on a car to find out which side the gas tank is on. And, just like the information about your gas tank, layout and color are best discovered using the display. Using F12 should be your only tool in discovering and temporarily altering the dispaly. Once you find what will work, then use the editor to change the file.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry for the slow response. I do *very much* appreciate your continued input/help/guidance!

And I apologize for jumping to the conclusion that the color split mod had anything to do with my ineptitude. If you skim up to my last post, you can see I owned that one already. Once I started doing file compares (responsive classic css VS color split mod css), I quickly came to the conclusion that some excellent work had been done. I'm super grateful for that!

Regarding F12, I'm on a Mac. I googled "chrome F12", so I think you mean the browser inspector. I agree, absolutely indispensable.

Kind of a similar thing about "looking under the hood for the gas tank". On a Mac, I can "grep" within file sets for what I want pretty much instantly. It's usually quicker for me, rather than using the admin dev tools (unless I'm already in there, or looking for a configuration).

About my push for "purdy"... gidyap!!! lolol

J/K.

I do have a strategy, and I'm working it. Methodically. I promise, there is order to my chaos!

Anyway, I think I have another day or two on the product page. Then I'll move up to the category description pages. Then I'll finish up my About Us, Contact Us, etc. Then the footer. Then focus on look of the entire site.

Just for poops-n-giggles, I took a break from the hard stuff today and screwed around with overall site styling. Long ways from done, but love to hear what you think (the category grid on the main page will totally change). Don't forget to refresh css if you've visited before:
    https://002mc.justmedical.biz/

Oh, here's a product page:
    https://002mc.justmedical.biz/Produc...-Test-1-Images

I kind of like how the colors are coming together. Whatcha tink, professor?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12