Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Any SEO URL/Rewrite plugins still available?

Hi, we have been using "Power SEO URL from Magnetic One on our store, however since we migrated servers the license shows as invalid.

We contacted Magentic One ( https://support.magneticone.com ) but they advise, despite it being a life time license, there is nothing they can do as the product is no longer supported. Pretty pissed off with their response and will NEVER look at their products again.

We contacted Numinix asking if their product would work, but have heard nothing back. Definitely don't want something form a business that is too busy to answer sales queries.

We have no idea how to uninstall Power SEO URL, but it's at least not active.

Is there any other SEO / URL rewrite plugin that we could install? Presently we are losing sales due to marketing email with URL's that now don't work.

Any suggestions welcome.

TIA

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Any SEO URL/Rewrite plugins still available?

Plugin Contributions

I don't want to start a flame war but, please research, research, research before making a decision to do the re-mapping.
    IMHO, the straw you are grasping at often becomes the one that breaks the camel's back. No ROI in my opinion. Google has been saying don't bother since 2008.
    This forum is littered with queries for help to fix problems that are the result of rewrite problems.
    A well done product description will benefit your business far more than a "purdy" URL. Anyway, most folks just look up there in the browser for the lock.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    I don't want to start a flame war but, please research, research, research before making a decision to do the re-mapping.
    IMHO, the straw you are grasping at often becomes the one that breaks the camel's back. No ROI in my opinion. Google has been saying don't bother since 2008.
    This forum is littered with queries for help to fix problems that are the result of rewrite problems.
    A well done product description will benefit your business far more than a "purdy" URL. Anyway, most folks just look up there in the browser for the lock.
    Hi, it's not really a case of SEO - more that when we send a link it looks meaningful to the recipient.

https://ourwebsite.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=136

is better as:

https://ourwebsite.com/our-great-product

Especially when we're sending multiple URL's.

And we don't have to throw away pre-printed marketing material.

So - at the moment it's looking like CEON - "Magnetic One" and "Numinix" are non starters, so I guess we'll have to go down the CEON path - carefully!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by satphone View Post
    Hi, it's not really a case of SEO - more that when we send a link it looks meaningful to the recipient.

https://ourwebsite.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=136

is better as:

https://ourwebsite.com/our-great-product

Especially when we're sending multiple URL's.

And we don't have to throw away pre-printed marketing material.

So - at the moment it's looking like CEON - "Magnetic One" and "Numinix" are non starters, so I guess we'll have to go down the CEON path - carefully!
    Seriously, don't bother mate. I fully agree with dbltoe, to a tee.

Been asked by many clients to install something like that on their sites and always had a tough time to talk them out of it. Let's face it, I actually talked myself out of making money by steering them clear of this stuff.

Always dreading to upgrade a site which has one of these modules installed, will it be compatible? Will it still work after the upgrade?

Anyway, your choice.

Plugin Contributions

It is way easier (and safer) to add some rewrite rules to your .htaccess file for the links in your paper documents.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by satphone View Post

Who sends a link like that nowadays? You wouldn't do something like, "Look at our newest Kitchen Faucet Set." Or maybe attach the link to an image. Now, there's a novel idea

Seems a lot easier and a lot more pleasing on the eyes than http://www.faucet-city.dom/kitchen_faucet_set_2140.

P.S. I don't know if any of those links are real but, I have no connection with them.
    Last edited by dbltoe; 12 Nov 2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: added PS

Plugin Contributions

when we send a link it looks meaningful to the recipient.
    I seem to be very out of touch with the modern world as that is indeed the only reason why I use url rewriting (CEON). Totally not essential/cosmetic, but I prefer it like that.
    While "everyone" here knows it has no SEO value, I don't think my customers know or care about that either.
    But I think they do notice a friendly/relevant-looking url as opposed to a "raw" one, and in this dangerous internet day and age, even the most ignorant are learning to develop a healthy mistrust of a link they don't recognise in an email / is composed of strange "&" and "?" / does not give some indication of its purpose or destination. I'm sure it's not a deal-breaker but I think it adds a little extra plus to customer perception of a site, as people are used to seeing it.
    I think it is expected in a professional shop and is a case of giving the customer what they expect, even if it's technically pointless. If it increases sales indirectly due to that, then it is worth it.

If I was developing my shop from new, it would be at the end of the list for mods, in the frills section. But, it's been there for ages so it can stay.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post

Who sends a link like that nowadays?.
    Call centre staff that are very busy.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by torvista View Post
    I seem to be very out of touch with the modern world as that is indeed the only reason why I use url rewriting (CEON). Totally not essential/cosmetic, but I prefer it like that.
    While "everyone" here knows it has no SEO value, I don't think my customers know or care about that either.
    But I think they do notice a friendly/relevant-looking url as opposed to a "raw" one, and in this dangerous internet day and age, even the most ignorant are learning to develop a healthy mistrust of a link they don't recognise in an email / is composed of strange "&" and "?" / does not give some indication of its purpose or destination. I'm sure it's not a deal-breaker but I think it adds a little extra plus to customer perception of a site, as people are used to seeing it.
    I think it is expected in a professional shop and is a case of giving the customer what they expect, even if it's technically pointless. If it increases sales indirectly due to that, then it is worth it.

If I was developing my shop from new, it would be at the end of the list for mods, in the frills section. But, it's been there for ages so it can stay.
    Well said.

There certainly is a place for meaningful URL's. This thread was started to ask some recommendations, not to be lambasted with why URL rewrites are not necessary. we have a commercial reason behind the request and appreciate constructive comments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast