Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Tax calculation problem - help please!

ZC - 1.51 with Credit Card PayPal fee module installed.

GST/Tax of 10% is not being charged on the PayPal / Credit Card fee. eg. 80.00 item,plus $1.09 fee shows the tax as $7.27 (tax on 80) when it should be $7.37 (tac on 81.09)

Order Total Module sort order is:

Sub Total 100
    CC / Paypal Fee 150
    Shipping 200
    Tax 300
    Total 999

Settings in CC/PayPal fee module are:

This module is installed
    true

Sort Order

Fee
    1.3636%

Minimum Amount

Allow Payment Module Fee
    true

Payment Modules
    paypalwpp,paypal

Attach Payment Module Fee On Orders Made
    both

Tax Class
    Taxable Goods

TIA
    Any help appreciated as this is throwing out our reconcilliations and tax returns!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Tax calculation problem - help please!

BUT - some orders DO calculate correctly:

Sub-Total: $799.00
    Credit Card / PayPal Fee: $11.98
    Fast Flat Rate (Overnight Courier Bag / Express Post Bag - Best Way): $19.95
    GST 10%: $75.54
    Total: $830.93

The only difference I can see is that it's a) a different product b) there is shipping involved.

Plugin Contributions

BUT - some orders DO calculate correctly:

Sub-Total: $799.00
    Credit Card / PayPal Fee: $11.98
    Fast Flat Rate (Overnight Courier Bag / Express Post Bag - Best Way): $19.95
    GST 10%: $75.54
    Total: $830.93

Here is an order where the GST/Tax is NOT correct:

Sub-Total: $80.00
    Credit Card / PayPal Fee: $1.09
    Free Shipping: $0.00
    GST 10%: $7.27
    Total: $81.09

Also the percentages are not calculating correctly in the second example - 1.5% of $80 should be $1.20 not $1.09 - In the first example, the percentage is correct ie. $10.98

Settings in the CC/PayPal are:

Fee
    1.3636%
    Tax Class - Taxable Goods

Goal is to have 1.5% applied to item and shipping. The 1.5% is taxable.

The only difference I can see is that it's a) a different product b) there is shipping involved.

Plugin Contributions

Anyone???

Or a suggestion where to get support, community or paid?

Plugin Contributions

It is late, and I'm too slack to do the calculations, but the difference I'm seeing between the good and bad examples is the shipping cost. I don't know if you are applying gst to this or not, if you are and shouldn't be, theres ya probem. If your not and you should be, theres ya problem.

Where shipping is free (where you are getting correct calcs) the GST on shipping becomes a moot point as it will always be zero regardless of the shipping tax settings.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Rod. It is very strange that GST gets calculated correctly on the item, surcharge and freight when there IS a shipping fee. When there is no shipping fee the GST gets calculated on ONLY the item and not the surcharge.

Any idea how not having a freight charge could affect the gst calculation of the surcharge?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by satphone View Post
    Thanks Rod. It is very strange that GST gets calculated correctly on the item, surcharge and freight when there IS a shipping fee. When there is no shipping fee the GST gets calculated on ONLY the item and not the surcharge.

Any idea how not having a freight charge could affect the gst calculation of the surcharge?
    It is possible that you are making some assumptions about what the GST is being based/calculated on and it may not be what you think it is, and although it is another day, I still can't be bothered to run through your figures. I pointed out the only difference I see (saw) - I figured you could at least run with that to either prove or disprove this observation. At the very least, go back over the previous orders and see if the pattern is consistant. It shouldn't be difficult to confirm (or refute) whether *all* orders with no (or free shipping) calculate correctly, and *all* order where there is a shipping charge calculate incorrectly - Basically what I'm saying is confirm the theory/observation 1st, and then worry about the the reason *why* afterwards.
    If the observation/theory proves to be incorrect then we're barking up the wrong tree, so trying to explain the 'why' becomes a moot point.

My approach towards diagnosis on this would be to simplify the figures. IOW, instead of using the examples you gave, with two different products and prices, and a fee of 1.3636% try setting up a test product of say $10.00 , and a fee of a nice round 1%. Then place two test orders, same product. One with no or three shipping, one with a shipping charge - Heck, I'd even go as far to disable all but a flat rate shipping module, again using nice round figures (say, $1.00). It is much easier to see whats going on if your test data is consistant, and with nice round figures it is easy to see that 10% GST on $10.00 product should give a nice round $1.00 GST - if it doesn't then clearly that is a problem. The 1% surcharge in this case will/should become visually 'obvious' as to whether it is being applied to the $10ex GST price, or the $11.00 GST price.

I don't know about you, but I can't just look at numbers like $799.00, $11.98 & $19.95 and determine what the final amounts should be, and if the final results are not what they should be (after using a calculator) , I still wouldn't be able to look and this group of numbers and determine which one is giving the weird/wrong results.

This is why I really can't be bothered running through the figures/calcs for you. I'd need a calculator. With simpler/round figures the errors tend to be visually obvious.

Cheers
    Rod

Last edited by RodG; 29 Nov 2017 at 07:26 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod, what you describe is pretty much what has been done to date - except we DO have a calculator to hand.

The results are consistent across all products, ie. those with freight calculate correctly (flat rate); and those with free shipping (virtual product) calculate GST wrongly; so we're already at at the "why" phase:-

"Why - when there is no shipping fee the GST gets calculated on ONLY the item and not the surcharge."

Completely stumped!

Plugin Contributions

To put it together without numbers let's take it like this:

Product = Product Price inc GST
    Shipping - Shipping Price inc GST
    Surcharge = Surcharge Price inc GST
    GST = 10%
    GST Calculated = GST charge shown on Invoice / checkout

Calculates Correctly when Shipping is>0 ie. GST Calculated = (Product +Surcharge+Freight)/11

Calculates Incorrectly where Shipping=0 ie. GST Calculated= Product/11

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by satphone View Post
    To put it together without numbers let's take it like this:

Product = Product Price inc GST
    Shipping - Shipping Price inc GST
    Surcharge = Surcharge Price inc GST
    GST = 10%
    GST Calculated = GST charge shown on Invoice / checkout

Calculates Correctly when Shipping is>0 ie. GST Calculated = (Product +Surcharge+Freight)/11

Calculates Incorrectly where Shipping=0 ie. GST Calculated= Product/11
    What happens if you change the sort order of the order totals so that the surcharge is processed before the shipping?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast