Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Tax calculation problem - help please!

Wouldn't have a clue where to start fault finding that!!

Start a new post, "Why sort order doesn't work?"

We've really enjoyed Zen Cart the last 3 years but it seems too "buggy", and i don't think too many are using it anymore - probably why the forum so quiet.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by satphone View Post
    Wouldn't have a clue where to start fault finding that!!

Start a new post, "Why sort order doesn't work?"

We've really enjoyed Zen Cart the last 3 years but it seems too "buggy", and i don't think too many are using it anymore - probably why the forum so quiet.
    I am not affiliated with Zen cart in any way other than using their product and I’m sure I will come off as an @ss , but I find your comment to be quite insulting!
    Keep in mind that Zen cart was developed by an amazing group of highly intelligent people, and they made it open source, (FREE).
    The forum offers Support on the (FREE) ecommerce system that you are using, that in my opinion is second to none.
    You stated:
    “I don't think too many are using it anymore - probably why the forum so quiet” , and I find your statement to be unjustified.

alexa.com has Zen-cart.com’s global rank rated at 113K and in the United States the rank is 52,000.
    Every time that I have checked there are 300+ people on this site, 448 right now as I’m posting this. Again my opinion, but that doesn’t sound like too many aren’t using Zen Cart

Plugin Contributions

You will not be able to find a user of any other cart that is not envious of this forum.
    Buggy? If we took a look at why that might be for a sec. Most other carts do NOT allow anyone to touch the inner workings of the cart. No other cart let's you muck up their code and then provides free support from many including the developers. ZC out-of-the-box meets many standards that others will never meet.
    Have a customer we are taking from magento to ZC. They have not been able to afford the $2k per month to bring their site to current. Their admin shows 16 critical, 3 major, and 3 general notices of things that need to be done.
    Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Although you may think you're being asked extraneous questions, you'll often find (as in this case) that those questions (properly answered) can lead to a true definition the problem.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    You will not be able to find a user of any other cart that is not envious of this forum.
    Buggy? If we took a look at why that might be for a sec. Most other carts do NOT allow anyone to touch the inner workings of the cart. No other cart let's you muck up their code and then provides free support from many including the developers. ZC out-of-the-box meets many standards that others will never meet.
    Have a customer we are taking from magento to ZC. They have not been able to afford the $2k per month to bring their site to current. Their admin shows 16 critical, 3 major, and 3 general notices of things that need to be done.
    Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Although you may think you're being asked extraneous questions, you'll often find (as in this case) that those questions (properly answered) can lead to a true definition the problem.
    I must agree with dbltoe here. I follow multiple cart systems on GitHub, and I regularly see bug reports or feature requests of things Zen Cart has resolved years ago.

Plugin Contributions

Well now there's something! The module or Zen Cart IS buggy - it's not doing what it is suppoed to.

Came here for help and answered all questions, over and again. Now saying that;

a) there's not much activity on here (true)

and

b) we're still experiencing buggy behaviour

and

c) asking where we can get paid help

we get slam dunked.

Pity that these users responding are more interested in "net politics" than maybe trying to assist in an issue that will see ius leave Zen Cart. If Zen Cart can't calculate taxes correctly it is useless for e-commerce.

So what's wrong with asking for some help? Explaining why it is needed and being open to solutions.

Seriously if you can't contribute to the thread then please don't.

We've always been very grateful for help received and worked WITH contributors, but won't waste time on "fan boys" with no ability to assist.

Plugin Contributions

Well now there's something! The module or Zen Cart IS buggy - it's not doing what it is suppoed to.

Came here for help and answered all questions, over and again. Now saying that;

a) there's not much activity on here (true)

and

b) we're still experiencing buggy behaviour

and

c) asking where we can get paid help

we get slam dunked.

Pity that these users responding are more interested in "net politics" than maybe trying to assist in an issue that will see ius leave Zen Cart. If Zen Cart can't calculate taxes correctly it is useless for e-commerce.

So what's wrong with asking for some help? Explaining why it is needed and being open to solutions.

Seriously if you can't contribute to the thread then please don't.

We've always been very grateful for help received and worked WITH contributors, but won't waste time on "fan boys" with no ability to assist.
    In posts 3, 15, and 19 there was data posted, presumably as it was provided on the screen, but I notice this specific wording in post 19: "In both sort order case - actual values - the same." which tends to still indicate that what has been entered/pasted was the actual numerical values without sort order in mind somewhat as RodG has eluded and then a factor of group think has taken over as the conversation broke down.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, your looking for a solution to software that is 5+ years old, that isn't (wasn't) designed to operate on the php version currently supported by the php community, and if it has been modified to operate in that environment the changes made haven't been identified, to correct a problem that hasn't actually been explained as to why it either is being done or how it is permitted to be done. A paypal fee? I had paged through this thread when it was first written, I had even begun to bring up potential solutions, then well besides not being directed to how to find/recreate this paypal fee module it is difficult to provide detailed instruction of anything to correct other than what appears to be the general observation that the item must ship in order to support the proper calculation. What does that mean? What is/could be different at what point in the operations(? Well, there could be session values that have been modified at the point of calculation that may be needed to get the desired value, my guess is that there is some "section" within this charge the paypal purchaser with a fee module that checks for one specific condition/value and finds that it is not as desired to charge the fee. Of course that's also assuming that the sort order (or lack of adhering to it) has nothing to do with the issue. But if the statement quoted above is correct (no change in the numbers returned), then by induction the paypal fee plugin does its own tax calculation based on shipping information that is available and seems that it wouldn't matter where in the sort order list it was placed so long as it is presented some basic information. Therefore, it would seem that the issue is related to a "third" party offering and not to ZC at the heart of it. (other than as Rod sort of put it, others meddling with the code to try to give/return something that may benefit others). Yup, of course that could be speculation also as the condition described (actual sort of display) has neither been validated nor disproved...

Me personally, I'm leary about supporting a venture that on the surface of Internet searches is a practice that is not accepted by the "target" company, that hasn't been explained as to why it is allowed to be charged, and however remote runs the risk of affecting me and the ability to use that company.

Remember, those viewing this thread see only what has been provided. Some may go and search other threads in which you have posted something to possibly gather information (or perhaps they have read it recently and recall), those responding/posting do so because they choose to post. It may not be to directly support the issue of the first post or the latest coding issue. There are those that are still finding their way, and those that are trying to help guide, those to help solve, etc... The "clinical" way to find people to do things is to ask the people, ask for resources or support, understanding that they too are able to see what is publicly posted. The world continues to go towards ever more social media/social "judging" or profiling. May the few posted statements perhaps made out of aggravation and despair not have an impact on finding a solution to the problem. Try to look at this thread by someone new to it. They don't know your system, they may know ZC, they may know a very specific portion of ZC, whatever the case, where the information provided doesn't point to a specific way to helping reproduce the issue, then it is difficult to correct it. This paypal module thing for example... what's to say it wasn't purchased from some company that sells car parts? Before allowing your blood to boil by the question, consider the point of view which has already been discussed: we know what is put on paper and what is specifically written. There are those that will upfront disclose everything, there are those that will elude to disclosure. I know I don't keep things short, I rarely know enough about the condition or situation to be able to give a simple yes or no only. I can't see ones response to be able to identify that they "got it" or not.

As for posting frequency? Perhaps looking at the situation backwards. The site provides opportunities to find solutions to problems related to software central to the site. This includes plugins and programs that extend the core functionality. So... if in one way or another there were no issues to resolve, then the frequency of posting would be reduced would it not? Now why those issues don't exist depends on a few factors: already have some sort of tech support in place to address the issue(s), there are no issues in the software, or perhaps the issues are in one way or another hidden/masked or in an outlier condition. It pretty much depends on the data review. What data is available and what point is trying to be made. Neither of which in my opinion relate to how the code calculates tax on a product that is or is not shipped..... jus' sayin'.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123