Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default Moved to new host - it's broken

http://joburgonline.com

PHP1.5.6
    Winchester responsive

I am using a temporary profile as my original profile @parafanaylya is not working.

Anyway here's my case history

I moved host. Carried out fresh ZC1.5.4 install, and couldn't get the site to display despite a successful install. Site was blank How to fix the blank site: THREAD HERE

Then I uploaded the original backed up hosting files and DB following the instructions in the relevant tutorial

TIP: Read the instruction top to bottom before carrying out the fresh install

I didn't do the DB table prefix in the fresh install above, and ended up with no table prefix in my DB to match the original. So I thought that I could fix it. And maybe I did:

I went into phpMyAdmin and added the prefix. The i added the table prefix like this in /includes/configure.php and /admin/includes/configure.php:

// define our database connection
    define('DB_TYPE', 'mysql');
    define('DB_PREFIX', 'zen_');
    define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    define('DB_SERVER', 'localhost:3306');
    define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', 'jobur_patrick');
    define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', '**********');
    define('DB_DATABASE', 'joburlnx_154');
    Issues:

Using the original classic template:

Attachment 17484

Note it displays categories - then navigate to a product, no thumbnails.....

Using the Winchester Responsive template:

Attachment 17485

No categories, but can find products through search using either keyword eg oven or product code coa1004

I'm not too phased about fixing information like sales message goes here or any of that. I'll chip away at the overrides, just want to fix the template to display categories, products, thumbnails etc.

Thanks in advance

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Moved to new host - it's broken

Quote Originally Posted by parafana View Post
    http://joburgonline.com

PHP1.5.6
    Winchester responsive

I am using a temporary profile as my original profile @parafanaylya is not working.

Anyway here's my case history

I moved host. Carried out fresh ZC1.5.4 install, and couldn't get the site to display despite a successful install. Site was blank How to fix the blank site: THREAD HERE
    Okay, so if everything is clearly stated and accurate: at this point a "new" site, with no previous baggage had been installed and the ability to operate the site on the new platform was still in question.
    Then I uploaded the original backed up hosting files and DB following the instructions in the relevant tutorial
    So at this point, the files that existed in both platforms were updated to the old site's files. Any files that existed in the new site but not the old site remained (possibly interfering with operation). As to the database, now if all of the instructions have been followed, the database should contain either just the database from the old store, or a database set from the above new install **AND** the upload of the old store's database. Anything other than these two conditions means that something wasn't done correctly leading up to this point.
    TIP: Read the instruction top to bottom before carrying out the fresh install

I didn't do the DB table prefix in the fresh install above, and ended up with no table prefix in my DB to match the original. So I thought that I could fix it. And maybe I did:
    A little confused with this statement at this point of the discussion. The use or lack of use of a table prefix for the fresh install at this point (sequence of discussion as the above portion says that the old database was imported into the new database) is not significant if the the old store/database used a prefix and the old database has been uploaded, then phpmyadmin will contain the database with prefix **AND** the fresh install database without prefix.
    I went into phpMyAdmin and added the prefix. The i added the table prefix like this in /includes/configure.php and /admin/includes/configure.php:
    This doesn't make sense... If the database in use (new database) had received the old database and the old database had used a prefix, then there should be effectively two sets of tables (approximately 200 tables) in this database and you should not be allowed to rename the old tables to the same as the new tables... If the old store database has been uploaded to the new database, then simply by matching the DB_PREFIX of the new store to the old store's configuration would allow access to the old store data on the new store...

Issues:

Using the original classic template:

Attachment 17484

Note it displays categories - then navigate to a product, no thumbnails.....

Using the Winchester Responsive template:

Attachment 17485

No categories, but can find products through search using either keyword eg oven or product code coa1004

I'm not too phased about fixing information like sales message goes here or any of that. I'll chip away at the overrides, just want to fix the template to display categories, products, thumbnails etc.

Thanks in advance
    Now this last part also is confusing and does not align with what was said above... Thought all of the files from the old store were transferred over to the new store, therefore how would there not be the customizations from that previous store on this new store?

When transferring from one location to another, it is advisable to do all that can be done to just transfer and not do any upgrade or changing of options. The move itself involves enough to worry about, throw in some other change(s) and now trying to track down what the issue is/was becomes problematic. Right now, there appears to be both database and file issues/discrepancies. If the template is thought to be causing an issue (I doubt that it specifically is, but could believe that there are files missing or other installation/carry-over issues), then temporarily switch to the classic view and see if the problem persists. If it does and it is not just on a single page then there could be database issues which is possible considering what has been done as described above.

If the timeline of events and operations is different than above, please take a moment to properly sequence things and identify actions taken. By being able to write down the events as they occurred others are able to help things along. Regaining access to your original user profile, well that's something else entirely... :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

mc12345678 Sorry - my wording was too concise and not clear, but let me try to clarify everything and explain why the site is now almost completely restored to it's original state and working.

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Okay, so if everything is clearly stated and accurate: at this point a "new" site, with no previous baggage had been installed and the ability to operate the site on the new platform was still in question.
    All the baggage was removed and the site was displaying. Someone fixed the site - My bad for not explaining that the site was fixed and working

So at this point, the files that existed in both platforms were updated to the old site's files. Any files that existed in the new site but not the old site remained (possibly interfering with operation).
    The site had started displaying as explained in my reply above. I prepared the original files for uploading and made sure that the fresh install configure.php files were not overwritten by renaming the original host configure.php files.

As to the database, now if all of the instructions have been followed, the database should contain either just the database from the old store, or a database set from the above new install **AND** the upload of the old store's database. Anything other than these two conditions means that something wasn't done correctly leading up to this point.
    New database tables were dropped before the original database was imported.

A little confused with this statement at this point of the discussion. The use or lack of use of a table prefix for the fresh install at this point (sequence of discussion as the above portion says that the old database was imported into the new database) is not significant if the the old store/database used a prefix and the old database has been uploaded, then phpmyadmin will contain the database with prefix **AND** the fresh install database without prefix.
    See above - I had done it incorrectly.

The problem manifested with the fresh install, was during my completion of the database setup form, that when completed, either writes the table prefix (or not if left blank) to the configure.php file. The result will be a conflict between the configure.php, where in the fresh install I had left the table prefix blank, and what is actually in the DB.

I had problems with the site displaying, which were now fixed and was now ecstatic that after nearly a week of fighting. In my desperation to get the site up and running, and spending up to 20 hours a day in the office helping clients and working on the site, I uploaded the original DB, in my exhausted state, before uploading the original site files. When I looked for my 3000+ products on the site, I found a DB conflict error. My configure.php files were looking for a DB without a prefix, and my DB had a prefix.

Another curve ball - my DB was pointing to a Winchester Responsive template, which at this point had not been uploaded.

This doesn't make sense... If the database in use (new database) had received the old database and the old database had used a prefix, then there should be effectively two sets of tables (approximately 200 tables) in this database and you should not be allowed to rename the old tables to the same as the new tables... If the old store database has been uploaded to the new database, then simply by matching the DB_PREFIX of the new store to the old store's configuration would allow access to the old store data on the new store...
    See above - only one set of tables

Now this last part also is confusing and does not align with what was said above... Thought all of the files from the old store were transferred over to the new store, therefore how would there not be the customizations from that previous store on this new store?
    I assumed that all files had been uploaded. We all know that assume is spelt: It makes an ###### out of u and me I left my filezilla app open for days, and there had been some failed uploads in previous attempts to install ZC. I ignored the failed uploads. Yet another mistake to compound the problem.

When transferring from one location to another, it is advisable to do all that can be done to just transfer and not do any upgrade or changing of options. The move itself involves enough to worry about, throw in some other change(s) and now trying to track down what the issue is/was becomes problematic. Right now, there appears to be both database and file issues/discrepancies. If the template is thought to be causing an issue (I doubt that it specifically is, but could believe that there are files missing or other installation/carry-over issues), then temporarily switch to the classic view and see if the problem persists. If it does and it is not just on a single page then there could be database issues which is possible considering what has been done as described above.
    All fixed now - I have learnt heaps from my mistakes, and wouldn't have managed without this forum and it's members. I feel a lot more confident now and my next task is to do the upgrade to 1.5.5e before taking on 1.6.

If the timeline of events and operations is different than above, please take a moment to properly sequence things and identify actions taken. By being able to write down the events as they occurred others are able to help things along.
    Thanks for this advice.

Regaining access to your original user profile, well that's something else entirely... :)
    I made heaps of errors due to my misunderstanding of (pretty clear) instructions. Maybe the tutorial should be changed to a numbered or bulleted format without changing the wording so that the dummies, myself included, can easily follow the required sequence.

My 1st attempt to upload and install ZC to our existing host was at about 0600 local time on 17 November. I had started downloading my original site files in both zipped backup format and in original state a full 72 hours before. The emails were downloading very slowly.

As I identified my errors I started developing an understanding of the very basics of a successful install.

I am proud of the look I have attained with the Winchester Responsive template as it reflects our business character and values well. I am a motor mechanic by profession with no training in the world of Zen
    Cart
    and the art of motor cycle maintenance.

Plugin Contributions

Regaining access to your original user profile, well that's something else entirely... :)
    Fixed :)