Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Page Load Speed issues - Minify CSS, Compress Images, Render Blocking JavaScript,

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    Do you think that Image Handler will help?
    I was wondering the same thing - the images that are issues according to a number page speed tests are those that are integrally a part of the template, logos and the slider images - so I am not sure how to have IH4 handle those images - it appears that IH4 only handles product images??

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Page Load Speed issues - Minify CSS, Compress Images, Render Blocking JavaScript,

Quote Originally Posted by shags38 View Post
    Many thanks for your reply Design75 - Guess who did exactly that soon after posting - was early in the morning, hadn't yet had my second cup of coffee so brain still wasn't engaged

cheers,
    Mike
    Yeah, the answer may have been a bit lame, people tend to forget there is a big world with information outside this community.

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Page Load Speed issues - Minify CSS, Compress Images, Render Blocking JavaScript,

Quote Originally Posted by Design75 View Post
    Yeah, the answer may have been a bit lame, people tend to forget there is a big world with information outside this community.
    You can use async for javascripts and media="screen" for stylesheets

It doesn't work for all of them but works for some. Also compressing all stylesheets into one doesn't always work due to the Zen Cart architecture.

This is what I suggest:

In templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/html_header.php

Look for where it links to your stylesheets

For example:

PHP Code:
    while(list ($key$value) = each($directory_array)) {    echo '<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="' $template->get_template_dir('.css',DIR_WS_TEMPLATE$current_page_base,'css') . '/' $value '" />'."\n";  } 
    and change it to:

PHP Code:
    while(list ($key$value) = each($directory_array)) {    echo '<link media="screen" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="' $template->get_template_dir('.css',DIR_WS_TEMPLATE$current_page_base,'css') . '/' $value '" />'."\n";  } 
    Note where it now says media="screen"

There is one entry for mobiles which I changed too where the styles aren't required for desktops or laptops:

PHP Code:
    $responsive_mobile '<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="' $template->get_template_dir('.css',DIR_WS_TEMPLATE$current_page_base,'css') . '/' 'responsive_mobile.css' '" 
    changed to

PHP Code:
    $responsive_mobile '<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="' $template->get_template_dir('.css',DIR_WS_TEMPLATE$current_page_base,'css') . '/' 'responsive_mobile.css' '" media="(min-width: 53.333em)" 
    HTML Code:
    media="(min-width: 53.333em)"
    only renders the mobile stylesheet once the screensize reduces to 640px

Javascript is slightly different.

Look for where it says:

HTML Code:
    <script type="text/javascript"
    and change it to:

HTML Code:
    <script async type="text/javascript"
    I suggest testing as well, don't do this on a live site. AND BACKUP before you do the work. The results can be a little sketchy but you increase your page speed.

I also added into htaccess:

HTML Code:
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>      <FilesMatch "\.(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf|svg)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=84600, public"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "analytics\.(js)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=31536000"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "stylesheet\.(css)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=604800"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "jquery.mmenu.min.all\.(js)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=31536000"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "responsive_mobile\.(css)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=604800"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "jquery.mmenu.all\.(css)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=604800"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "jquery.nivo.slider.pack\.(js)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=31536000"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "stylesheet_colors\.(css)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=604800"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "jscript_imagehover\.(js)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=31536000"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "index_home\.(css)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=604800"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "responsive\.(css)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=604800"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "stylesheet_zen_colorbox\.(css)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=31536000"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "jscript_matchHeight-min\.(js)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=31536000"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "stylesheet_css_buttons\.(css)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=31536000"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "stylesheet_flexible_footer_menu\.(css)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=31536000"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "print_stylesheet\.(css)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=31536000"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "jquery.mmenu.fixedelements.min\.(js)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=31536000"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "style_imagehover\.(css)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=31536000"  </FilesMatch>  <FilesMatch "p\.(css)$">   Header set Cache-Control "max-age=31536000"  </FilesMatch></IfModule>
    And applied compression through CPANEL.

All of these combined, took my page speed up from around between 50% - 60% up to 85% - 98%
    Last edited by Nick1973; 7 Aug 2019 at 01:55 PM.
    Nick Smith - Venture Design and Print
    https://venturedesignandprint.co.uk

Plugin Contributions

I also optimised a secondary set of images with a .webp extension. You will need JPEGS and PNG's as well as a fallback for browsers that can't render .webp images.

However to automate whether the browser sees the .webp image or the jpeg or png all you need to do is add:

Code:
    <ifModule mod_rewrite.c>
      RewriteEngine On 
      RewriteCond %{HTTP_ACCEPT} image/webp
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI}  (?i)(.*)(\.jpe?g|\.png)$ 
      RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}%1.webp -f
      RewriteRule (?i)(.*)(\.jpe?g|\.png)$ %1\.webp [L,T=image/webp,R] 
    </IfModule>
    to images/.htaccess

and any other images directory (including sub directories) create a htaccess file with the above applied in it.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1973 View Post
    I also optimised a secondary set of images with a .webp extension. You will need JPEGS and PNG's as well as a fallback for browsers that can't render .webp images.

However to automate whether the browser sees the .webp image or the jpeg or png all you need to do is add:

Code:
    <ifModule mod_rewrite.c>
      RewriteEngine On 
    </IfModule>
    to images/.htaccess

and any other images directory (including sub directories) create a htaccess file with the above applied in it.
    Correction:

Code:
    <ifModule mod_rewrite.c>
      RewriteEngine On 
    </IfModule>
    Should be

Code:
    <ifModule mod_rewrite.c>
      RewriteEngine On 
    </IfModule>

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
      Header append Vary Accept env=REDIRECT_accept
    </IfModule>

AddType image/webp .webp

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1973 View Post
    Correction:

Code:
    <ifModule mod_rewrite.c>
      RewriteEngine On 
    </IfModule>
    Should be

Code:
    <ifModule mod_rewrite.c>
      RewriteEngine On 
    </IfModule>

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
      Header append Vary Accept env=REDIRECT_accept
    </IfModule>

AddType image/webp .webp
    Will this work with 1.5.5f ? I am trying to improve my page load speed in google insight.

Missingcord.com

Plugin Contributions

It should do, I have improved the speed of some 1.5.5f sites using similar methods. It depends which template you are using.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12