Plugin Contributions

Default Non-shopping cart? Is it possible?

Is there any way to use a zen art WITHOUT listing prices? I'd like to essentially have the exact same layout as a shopping cart, but no one will use it to purchase. It's only to showcase products. So no cart, no "add to cart" no pricing, no checkout. Just descriptions and photos, etc.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Non-shopping cart? Is it possible?

Yes it is possible.

Go to your admin -> configuration -> My store -> store Status , and set it to the required value. In your case 1.

Plugin Contributions

Be sure to test your chosen template carefully to be sure there are no elements that don't check this setting. Some templates will put a checkout link in the header without referencing that flag, for example.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

That’s wonderful news, and great advice thank you both so much!! I will report back!

Plugin Contributions

Thank you so much, that's EXACTLY what I was looking for! Love that you can "showcase" with a "contact us" link as well.
    Love this forum!

Plugin Contributions

One follow up question - is there a way to leave the cart up, but NOT allow checkout? I would like folks to be able to add products and determine their shipping cost, but not actually check out until "order period is open", when I manually change it to allow ordering.

Plugin Contributions

If you disable all purchase methods, they will be able to get to the checkout shipping page to see shipping related costs, but not be able to complete checkout because they won't be able to pay for anything. This is assuming a site wide condition and good communication to the perspective customers. There may be other ways as well...

Their items will remain in their cart as well, so the next visit (when fully live), when they log in they need only finish checkout assuming the product still exists and attribute conditions of the product haven't changed.
    Last edited by mc12345678; 7 Dec 2017 at 04:12 PM.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Yes, great idea, this sounds like the simplest way! Good point about the products staying in their cart too. Thank you!!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by cindygordon View Post
    Yes, great idea, this sounds like the simplest way! Good point about the products staying in their cart too. Thank you!!
    Could go a step further (maybe closer to the point that actual purchase may be available) and use a payment method that supports authorization/approval such that the customer can basically commit to pay, check out and a commitment put in place to receive/send the item(s).

Understand though putting any type of roadblock to completing the purchase process will deter customers. As such and the community being helpful as it is, you may expect to see posts asking why this situation is desired. It would help the process if the reasons and "plan" were more flushed out. Perhaps there is something that is being overlooked...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    se a payment method that supports authorization/approval such that the customer can basically commit to pay, check out and a commitment put in place to receive/send the item(s).
    Actually, that’s all folks are ever doing on this website. To explain a little bit, it’s a co-op website. Not really a retail situation. I basically use this website to aggregate people‘s orders, and then they pay separately on Venmo. The orders are then entered into the vendors proprietary spreadsheet and submitted with payment apart from the website. The only payment method that is actually ever activated on this website is to send a check/money order, and I have changed the verbiage in the checkout to instruct people where to pay via Venmo rather than send a check or money order. This site has dramatically improved my workflow as the organizer of the co-op.

Orders happened either monthly or every other month or in some cases quarterly. So there are only certain time periods where we accept orders, and at that time I update what offerings are available from the vendor and “open ordering” to the group, with an ending deadline. At the end of the deadline I export the orders from the database and import them into the vendors spreadsheet. The only thing I really really wish we had was Venmo integration. Maybe someday! I don’t want to use a regular credit card processor because then we get hit with the fees. Anyway, that’s the long and short of it, thank you so much for your info! I have disabled the payment options, so it is doing just what I needed to do with your recommendation. ����