Plugin Contributions

Default Best Practice for new install and import very big database contents from old version

Howdy:

I just want to make sure I go about this the most efficient way.

I have a 15 year old site still in version 1.3.8a (I know... I know... it is what it is, please don't blast me about it being so outdated).

It has a fairly large database with over 22,000 orders and over 15,000 customers.

I am building a brand new site on a completely different server with the latest version and all I want to do is migrate all my customer data to the new site when I have the site ready to go.

I haven't worked in Zencart since about 2009 so I just want to make sure I approach this properly. What is my best course of action?

Thanks much

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Best Practice for new install and import very big database contents from old vers

Best practice is to import the entire database and let the zc_install upgrader bring it up to date.

https://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3...he-new-version

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Best Practice for new install and import very big database contents from old vers

Thanks very much. I have read over that page several times and was still confused so that's why I posted.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry I'm still confused. So am I better off cloning the existing site as-is onto the new server and then running it through the upgrades or installing a new clean version on the new server and importing/upgrading the database only? I don't care about the template and customizations as they are minor and not going to apply to the new site anyway.

Plugin Contributions

Nevermind, I see my answer in the part about keeping an existing store live. I'll follow that procedure. Thanks again.

Plugin Contributions

Assuming that your new store is in the same hosting-account as the old one, you can use your webhost's cPanel / phpMyAdmin to copy (under the Operations tab) the existing database into a new one.

That would save you some time over exporting the existing and importing it into the newly-created one.