Plugin Contributions

Default is it possible to transform my store website into an app?

is it possible to transform zen-cart website into an app? is there an extension?
    after google ,I found there is a company offer such service ,but need to pay money every month,
    I wish there is an extension ,so I only need to pay one time.
    focus on the open source for online shoping website.
    my site: best shop 24h.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: is it possible to transform zen-cart website into an app?

Can you further explain your vision?

Zen Cart is an application. It is run on a platform that is Internet centric. Meaning, there is an operating system that is needed (recommended to be Linux like based), using php and access to a database. All of these things could be installed on a personal computer (effectively accessible only at the computer) or by paying/having some hosted service so that the site is accessible by those on the internet.

This later option will involve some level of routine payment whether it is monthly, annually or what have you. Further, considering that the central goal of Zen Cart is to offer some sort of sellable product/to run a business, one should expect some level of business expense in order to operate it. How much that is and who is to provide the services is up to whom is selected, the level of service needed and whatever other options are needed/made available.

To add to that, consideration should be given in routine maintenance and upgrade of the site once the initial presentation is established. Whether this is self done or by outside support again is up to the level of knowledge of the individual and or those supporting the business, but should be factored into either the time involved or business expense to operate.

If this effort is completely left to a third party, be prepared to have to work with them and how their business model may affect the operation of your site. It is one thing to have say a misspelling on your site, it's completely another if no one can access the site or possibly not able to make a purchase...

So, again, perhaps you could clarify what it is you envision for Zen Cart to operate as an application...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: is it possible to transform my store into an app?

Hi,

I would like to ask the same question with a bit more clarification as to how it could work please. As an example... Joomla has a plugin for a basic APP that provides the required coding and a very simple user interface that you decide what to link to where within the Joomla website. It’s basically a proper APP that can be submitted to Apple iStore and Google’s Android Play store but it only functions to launch the mobile friendly version of Joomla.

Kind regards
    Claire

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by cjsmiff View Post
    Hi,

I would like to ask the same question with a bit more clarification as to how it could work please. As an example... Joomla has a plugin for a basic APP that provides the required coding and a very simple user interface that you decide what to link to where within the Joomla website. It’s basically a proper APP that can be submitted to Apple iStore and Google’s Android Play store but it only functions to launch the mobile friendly version of Joomla.

Kind regards
    Claire
    Here is a link to the admin tutorial for the Joomla appsconda plugin, just for ideas for anyone that could code something similar for Zen Cart: https://appsconda.com/tutorial

Plugin Contributions

Here's the only problem with this idea: nobody wants an app for your store on their phone. Not even your mother.
    Even if they did want such a thing (which they don't), you couldn't afford the cost of doing a proper job.
    Either one of these (iPhone, Android) is a five figure or more job plus ongoing maintenance.

A much better idea is to create a great web experience for people on both the desktop and mobile devices.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Support
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    Here's the only problem with this idea: nobody wants an app for your store on their phone. Not even your mother.
    Oh c'mon Scott, I almost fell out of my chair laughing... I mean, I couldn't agree more, but still, never in my wildest dreams would I have put it that way... LOL. But it's spot on! Damn, still laughing here...

Plugin Contributions

You did make me laugh! I actually agree with you but you assume that I have an online shop. I don’t. I do, however, have clients that would like to have such an option/function for their Zen Cart and if one existed I would be more than happy to install & configure it for them.

Plugin Contributions

Take your client's phone.
    Browse to their site.
    Create an icon for that URL.
    Hand them back their phone, and say "there's your app."
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Support
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    Take your client's phone.
    Browse to their site.
    Create an icon for that URL.
    Hand them back their phone, and say "there's your app."
    And charge how much for the pleasure? Lmao! So funny! Thanks for lightening my mood tonight guys.

Plugin Contributions

The Graybeard engineer retired and a few weeks later the Big Machine broke down, which was essential to the company’s revenue. The Manager couldn’t get the machine to work again so the company called in Graybeard as an independent consultant.
    Graybeard agrees. He walks into the factory, takes a look at the Big Machine, grabs a sledge hammer, and whacks the machine once whereupon the machine starts right up. Graybeard leaves and the company is making money again.
    The next day Manager receives a bill from Graybeard for $5,000. Manager is furious at the price and refuses to pay. Graybeard assures him that it’s a fair price. Manager retorts that if it’s a fair price Graybeard won’t mind itemizing the bill. Graybeard agrees that this is a fair request and complies.
    The new, itemized bill reads….
    Hammer: $5
    Knowing where to hit the machine with hammer: $4995