Plugin Contributions

Default Paypal Standard reports old order number on checkout success page

I remember this was an issue in older versions of Zen Cart, but I thought it had been fixed. Scenario is: customer places an order, say the order id is 10. They come back a while later, when the current order id is 15, and make another purchase. Instead of seeing "your order number is 16" on the checkout success page, then see "order number is 10."

Is this fixed in PP Express? The customer was advised to use Standard by Paypal themselves which is why they're using it.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Paypal Standard reports old order number on checkout success page

This only occurs with Standard, and only when PayPal's servers haven't immediately pinged your IPN URL to tell your store about the completed payment, before the shopper got to the checkout_success page.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Is there a fix or workaround other than going to PP Express, or is that the fix? She was told there was a fee for Express too but I use Express and have never had a fee.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

There is no fee difference for Express vs Standard.

Express is the recommended approach.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Standard never worked I think and probably should be removed. Like Dr. Byte said no difference and most people use express.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by tmccaff View Post
    Standard never worked
    Not sure where you got that idea. It's worked in Zen Cart for 15 years, and still works today. It has its quirks such as when PayPal's servers are slow, or if your store isn't responding to incoming IPN webhooks.
    But to say it never worked is incorrect.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    I remember this was an issue in older versions of Zen Cart, but I thought it had been fixed. Scenario is: customer places an order, say the order id is 10. They come back a while later, when the current order id is 15, and make another purchase. Instead of seeing "your order number is 16" on the checkout success page, then see "order number is 10."

Is this fixed in PP Express? The customer was advised to use Standard by Paypal themselves which is why they're using it.
    I have found this issue is still current with PayPal Standard.

My experience is that once a customer checks out with PayPal and Zen Cart is set up to use PayPal Payments Standard the Checkout Success page displays the customer's last order number in their order history instead of the current order number of the purchase just made.

Also, it seems as though there is a timeout issue where PayPal will accept the order from Zen Cart and issue an email with success but the order is not recorded in Zen Cart at all. Not in admin and not in the db. Not even with email archive manager installed.

So there are dropped orders.