Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Contact us = spam messages

I noticed in the last week or so, that I am getting many spam messages through the Contact us page. Most of them are in foreign language (Russian or something like that) but some are in English and totally unrelated to the store content.

Is there a way to filter those or is it something I might have forgotten to set up? I never had that happen before, so I am a bit puzzled.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Contact us = spam messages

Quote Originally Posted by CaroleAs View Post
    I noticed in the last week or so, that I am getting many spam messages through the Contact us page. Most of them are in foreign language (Russian or something like that) but some are in English and totally unrelated to the store content.

Is there a way to filter those or is it something I might have forgotten to set up? I never had that happen before, so I am a bit puzzled.
    Post#13 in this thread has a solution. https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....for-spam/page2

Plugin Contributions

Thank you!

Plugin Contributions

I'm wondering if this solution isn't working any longer. The latest versions of ZC already incoporate a hidden field into the contact us form. And yet, we are still being bombarded with mostly Russian spam through the Contact Us form.

For the heck of it, I followed the instructions on Post #13 from your link above (by adding yet another hidden field), but this hasn't stopped the spam from coming.

Is anyone else using 1.5.5f still experiencing a high amount of spam coming through the Contact Us form (and mostly from Russia spambots)?
    - Jeff

Plugin Contributions

I still have 1.5.5e and although i followed the instructions on that other thread, it didn't stop any spam email.
    Any other ways to get rid of them?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Mash View Post
    I'm wondering if this solution isn't working any longer. The latest versions of ZC already incoporate a hidden field into the contact us form. And yet, we are still being bombarded with mostly Russian spam through the Contact Us form.

For the heck of it, I followed the instructions on Post #13 from your link above (by adding yet another hidden field), but this hasn't stopped the spam from coming.

Is anyone else using 1.5.5f still experiencing a high amount of spam coming through the Contact Us form (and mostly from Russia spambots)?
    Keep in mind that not only are we talking about the hidden field, The code is open source! So yes its possible to teach our bots to look for that field and not use it..

You should change its name to something that seems common but not used in your site like dog_color, or URL and so on...

The field name if you are not sure is in the includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/templates/tpl_FORM_NAME.php
    look for 'should_be_empty' and change it!

Then in includes/modules/pages/PAGE_NAME/header_php.php
    look for and match 'should_be_empty' the what you used in the form.
    Code:
    $antiSpam = isset($_POST['should_be_empty']) ? zen_db_prepare_input($_POST['should_be_empty']) : '';
    The same line is also in the includes/modules/create_account.php page

If you can use something like gedit to search in all files for 'should_be_empty' you can catch them all.

The other possible walk around is simply human bots are getting paid to click and enter can spam and hit the send button! Some just think this is a good way of advertising there bull, For them you can use a email address blocker.
    Dave
    Always forward thinking... Lost my mind!

Plugin Contributions

Good info Dave!

Don't forget the tpl_product_reviews_write_default.php

Plugin Contributions

We added a global cpanel email filter to check for a few most common Russian characters & auto delete. There was already a filter for Chinese characters.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

We have around 25,000 russian IP addresses denied - using IP Deny (although we manually edited htacess to get all these loaded). Similarly, a further 20,000 odd other IP's denied from known rogue regions (ukraine, korea, belarus - and similar).
    Whenever we get a website-generated message from a (russian) bot, we add the IP (or IP range) to the htaccess file.
    This has helped enormously in keeping many rogues away.
    Anyone know of a global database of IP locations? If so, would be nice to create a htaccess block to deny all of these rouge countries - with russia at the top of that list...
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    Anyone know of a global database of IP locations? If so, would be nice to create a htaccess block to deny all of these rouge countries - with russia at the top of that list...
    Something like this?
    http://www.wizcrafts.net/htaccess-blocklists.html

or this
    http://www.wizcrafts.net/iptables-blocklists.html
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast