Hi

I am going to upgrade my zen cart shop from v1.3.9f to v1.5.5f, and confused 2 of process below:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
first question:

There is an instruction on zen cart site as:
"How do I upgrade my site? ( https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?140)Hi

3. Create a new directory and copy your site into it
4. Then create a new database and load your old database in it
5. Next, change the two configure.php files to utilize the new directory and database
This way ... when you attempt to upgrade you are "practicing" to see where the problems, if any will happen
6. Make sure all appears to be working on your temp site.
7. Now load the "new" version files to your new temp directory (from latest downloaded ZIP)"

my Question is : 3. copy old site files into, 7. load the "new" version files into. So, do I have to delete the old files before load the "new" version" files into the new temp directory? or new files will overwrite old files?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second question:

old shop is v1.3.9f and use "Collation: latin1_swedish_ci" in database language setting.

new version v1.5.5f is use "Collation: utf8_general_ci".

my Question: How to over come two different language setting? Should I change it before or after? how to change from latin1 to utf8?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Third question:

We have customers from Europe and their language has circumflex character, e.g. ^, Â/â, Ê/ê, Î/î, Ô/ô, and Û/û ,which v139 latin1_swedish_ci cannot handle. Is utf8_general_ci language setting good enough to display circumflex character correctly, or I should use another language setting?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Henry