Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Changing page name URL's for better SEO rankings

I am trying to figure out the best way to change my site page URL's for better SEO rankings. I see there is a couple of Plugins to do this but they have not been updated in a while. One even say's:
    ** USE AT OWN RISK **

Can someone point me in the right direction on what is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance
    Dave

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Changing page name URL's for better SEO rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Maynards View Post
    I am trying to figure out the best way to change my site page URL's for better SEO rankings. I see there is a couple of Plugins to do this but they have not been updated in a while. One even say's:
    ** USE AT OWN RISK **

Can someone point me in the right direction on what is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance
    Dave
    I use this plugin on one of my sites:

https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=889

As far as helping with SEO, I'm not so sure that it makes a difference, but http://yourstore.com/test-product is easier for customers to remember as opposed to http://yourstore.com/index.php?main_...&products_id=5

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by answer=42 View Post
    I use this plugin on one of my sites:

https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=889

As far as helping with SEO, I'm not so sure that it makes a difference, but http://yourstore.com/test-product is easier for customers to remember as opposed to http://yourstore.com/index.php?main_...&products_id=5
    Thanks for your help. I have give it a look.
    Appreciate it.

Plugin Contributions

Having a "friendly" url does NOT improve your page ranking. This has been discussed to death multiple times in this forum by people far more knowledgeable that me. Do not mess with your urls unless you have a real reason to do so.

That link to that plugin is a old version not compatible with php7: use the version on my github.

Why do I use it? Because we send links in emails a lot and I like the "friendly" url more than the default one. Nothing to do with SEO.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by torvista View Post
    Having a "friendly" url does NOT improve your page ranking. This has been discussed to death multiple times in this forum by people far more knowledgeable that me. Do not mess with your urls unless you have a real reason to do so.

That link to that plugin is a old version not compatible with php7: use the version on my github.

Why do I use it? Because we send links in emails a lot and I like the "friendly" url more than the default one. Nothing to do with SEO.
    Thanks for your input.
    I am trying to learn about SEO and everything I read about they say how important it is to have friendly URL's.
    I also find it very hard to search this forum to come up with relevant information on a topic that I seek. I must be doing somthing wrong when I search.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your input.
    I am trying to learn about SEO and everything I read about they say how important it is to have friendly URL's.
    I also find it very hard to search this forum to come up with relevant information on a topic that I seek. I must be doing somthing wrong when I search.
    FWIW, I never use the forum's search to (er) search for posts and/or topics; I use good old Google instead.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your input.
    As great and powerful as this forum software is, the one area it lacks in quality is its search engine. Sometimes one needs to go outside of the forum and look in.

Please let me also say that this forum software as I have come to learn is some package off the shelf. While there are some parts that have been improved by the team, it is basically off the shelf and may have its own issues, but those things are not directly related to the ZC software itself. Hopefully that makes sense.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by torvista View Post

Google may have shifted their requirements: https://developers.google.com/search.../url-structure

A site's URL structure should be as simple as possible. Consider organizing your content so that URLs are constructed logically and in a manner that is most intelligible to humans (when possible, readable words rather than long ID numbers). For example, if you're searching for information about aviation, the following URL can help you decide whether to click that link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation

Plugin Contributions

Nowhere in that article does Google promise better ranking. If your site passes Chrome's Lighthouse with mid-90s, you'll beat the socks off "friendly URLs".

Believe me, if I had found proof of result over effort in my 17 years with ZC, I would be endorsing it. Until I see that proof, I will continue to keep my clients on the first or second page through the more important methods. Content, correctness, compatibility.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    Believe me, if I had found proof of result over effort in my 17 years with ZC, I would be endorsing it. Until I see that proof, I will continue to keep my clients on the first or second page through the more important methods. Content, correctness, compatibility.
    Amen and amen.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast