Plugin Contributions

help question trying to edit header info ?

latest php version v155f just installed at http://www.busi-me.com running on Linux.
    I am trying to find the file to edit for tag line and other information in the header but currently not finding where to edit it.
    I have to add that I am completely blind and have to rely on files talking to my software to find the correct files and edit in a text editor.
    Can anyone direct me to the correct file to edit please.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: trying to edit header info ?

Quote Originally Posted by njpbusiness View Post
    latest php version v155f just installed at http://www.busi-me.com running on Linux.
    I am trying to find the file to edit for tag line and other information in the header but currently not finding where to edit it.
    I have to add that I am completely blind and have to rely on files talking to my software to find the correct files and edit in a text editor.
    Can anyone direct me to the correct file to edit please.
    In your Zencart ADMIN PANEL, under TOOLS menu - click the "DEVELOPERS TOOLKIT" option.

This allows you to search the FILE SYSTEM (not the database) for text strings and program strings.

It will show a LIST of files (and folder paths) where your search corresponds to file content.

BEAR IN MIND that alterations to files (particularly DEFINED TEXT elements) should be done on a copied OVER-RIDE file and NOT the original CORE FILE.

Search for OVER-RIDE and TEMPLATE OVER-RIDE on the forum to see why this is important, and how it is configured.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for your help, I should have explained that because I am blind the elements in the developers tool kit do not talk to my software and this is why I need to find the files manually to edit.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by njpbusiness View Post
    Thank you for your help, I should have explained that because I am blind the elements in the developers tool kit do not talk to my software and this is why I need to find the files manually to edit.
    Ah... Does your sofware read off a NOTEPAD file?

What you might try, is when the results of the developer tool kit are displayed onscreen, drag your cursor across them and "copy" (CTRL + c) then PASTE into notepad (CTRL + V).

If your sofware can interpret NOTEPAD text, this may provide vocal instructions of the file and folder PATH to the relevant files.

Let me know if this works, because in future, you may need to change MANY text strings in various files, and coming to the forum (while always helpful) can delay and frustrate you.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

The as-shipped language file that contains the header-related constants is /includes/languages/english/header.php. If that file doesn't exist in your current template-override directory (i.e. the file /includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/header.php), then copy the as-shipped file to that override directory and make your edits there.

I see that you are currently using the responsive_classic template as-is. I suggest that you "clone" that template, using the Clone a Template plugin before continuing. That way it will be easier for you to upgrade as you won't have to worry about overwriting any customizations that you have made.

Plugin Contributions

In general, TEXT elements of this nature are contained in php DEFINE strings - and are almost ALWAYS in the LANGUAGE folders of the software.

These LANGUAGES folders exist in both the ADMIN and SHOP folder systems. Those in the ADMIN system control text content in your admin panel, and those in the SHOP folder system control content in the SHOP area (the part the public sees).

You need to access the folder system - either through CPANEL or by using a FTP connection program (WS-FTP PRO by Ipswitch is one of the best).

After getting into the PUBLIC HTML main folder, navigate to the relevant template you are using, and then to that template's INCLUDES folder, then the sub folder LANGUAGES, and then to the ENGLISH sub folder.

ALL lines that render text will start with DEFINE.

As you have a visual impairment, you may find this a bit challenging because if you make the smallest error in the PHP, it can render a blank screen on the website.

There are a lot of helpful people on this forum who may have time to make these routine changes for you. Someone who can see can do this in a few seconds, and make sure it's correct. I am unfortunately not in a position to do this sort of work as I run several very busy websites, but if you ask for assistance, I am sure there are people who would be willing to assist you.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thank you guys you are all fantastic and yes my software does talk to me via text editing and I will follow your guidance and make the changes ok I am sure.

Plugin Contributions

Ok have one more problem now and that is the greeting on the home page saying : Congratulations! You have successfully installed your Zen Cart® E-Commerce Solution.

I found this in includes,languages,english,index.php and I updated it with my own greeting but it will not update the website .
    can anyone tell me why this is???

Plugin Contributions

Do you, perhaps, have a template-override version: /includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/index.php?

Any definitions in that file have priority over the as-shipped version that you edited.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    Do you, perhaps, have a template-override version: /includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/index.php?

Any definitions in that file have priority over the as-shipped version that you edited.

Ok thank you, I found my override files at /public_html/includes/languages/english/responsive_classic and I edited in there on a copy and uploaded to the site with great success.
    Problem solved thank you!!