Thread: .htaccess file

Plugin Contributions

Default .htaccess file

Ive bee trying to speed my site up but the majority of fixes are saying i need to edit info in the ' .htaccess file' and i cant seem to find it anywhere? Do i create it myself if so where and how? Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: .htaccess file

Yes, create a new file in the root folder of your store.

Plugin Contributions

Should be able to look in any of the other ZC provided folders and find an htaccess file that could be copied and then immediately edited to basically remove the content. If such file does not exist, either it really isn't there (that's a problem) or your ftp program is hiding it because it is a hidden file (begins with a period).

Some of the "commands" that you are trying to implement may require modification of .htaccess files in other places. For example image related modifications may need to be applied to the images directory and/or similar image directories within the template's folder...

Reason? A single htaccess file affects the file(s)/folder(s) further down the tree; however, such a file in the next directory may cancel the affect of the location before it... ie. one could in the root allow files that have an extension of say happy-happy-joy-joy, but that doesn't mean that the downloads directory will respect that...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by JakeLawless View Post
    Ive bee trying to speed my site up but the majority of fixes are saying i need to edit info in the ' .htaccess file' and i cant seem to find it anywhere? Do i create it myself if so where and how? Thanks
    Any performance gains made via the .htaccess files would be minimal. It is akin to trying to make a slow car go faster by adding more fuel. Your best gains would be by optimising your images (install "Image handler" if not already installed) and/or moving to another higher powerered server.

Just my 2cents worth.