Thread: Email Issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

help question Email Issues

Okay, so I'm going to explain this to the best of my pea-brain ability. Please be patient as I'm an idiot.

On v1.5.4, using the zenn template.

We've had this issue with email for a few years and my boss is finally beginning to crack because it's bugging the hell out of him lol. We used to use squirrel-mail as our email client years back and we noticed that when customers were purchasing online, they were not receiving confirmation emails, couldn't do forgot password, etc. My boss originally thought this was something to do with a blacklist but after using https://mxtoolbox.com I don't believe that's the issue.

After digging a little, (us not being web people really) we found that on the admin panel, it's set to [email protected], which looks to be an email address setup through our webhost. Could the issue of the emails never reaching their destination be that the webhost is using some kind of mask? Like, for instance..

The issue only happens if their email is yahoo/at&t/sbcglobal related.

Customer purchases, website sends data through webhost, webhost then emails customer with masked email using [email protected] instead of using our actual email which is [email protected] (hosted through Gmail).

We switched to Gmail when the issues started and that allows us to send the receipt, tracking and send them a password reset email manually.

We tried changing the settings in the zencart admin panel to the gmail details but it fails whenever anyone orders or requests an email from the website.

If any of that is confusing, I can attempt to explain it better but please bare with me.. I'm trying lol.

Thanks,

Ash
    http://www.youtube.com/c/csgodeimos - New Videos Wednesday & Saturday
    Gaming Content / Deimos

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Email Issues

There's a couple of additional pieces of information that would help, possibly easiest by sharing the settings of configuration->e-mail. The email address(es) need not be shared, but if an email is shown as friendly name <email@server> then please indicate something like that.

Also, there are FAQs on troubleshooting email issues. Please identify each step tried and any result(s) from trying that suggestion.
    https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...ved-or-sending
    https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...ed-from-nobody

Also as part of identifying the issue(s), may want to check for any debug logs.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    There's a couple of additional pieces of information that would help, possibly easiest by sharing the settings of configuration->e-mail. The email address(es) need not be shared, but if an email is shown as friendly name <email@server> then please indicate something like that.

Also, there are FAQs on troubleshooting email issues. Please identify each step tried and any result(s) from trying that suggestion.
    https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...ved-or-sending
    https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...ed-from-nobody

Also as part of identifying the issue(s), may want to check for any debug logs.

I've followed those steps before, still ended up with the same issue sadly.

First image is Config - email options, 2nd image is a recent error in cpanel.

https://imgur.com/a/4c8dx
    Gaming Content / Deimos

Plugin Contributions

email is confusing.

your post is confusing.... or i'm just slow...

what what i gather, some email goes through, other emails associated with yahoo/at&t/sbcglobal do not? is that correct??

with regards to this "masked" email hypothesis, i would refer you to your own 1st paragraph. in other words, i think very little about this hypothesis.

you have a website; it has a domain; you have a host that provides email services; but now your domain now utilizes gmail. do i have that correct?

you are currently utilizing your hosting company to send mail from your website. some of that mail fails. if i gather that correctly, then your hosting companies' mail server has a bad reputation, and certain domains are blocking your hosting companies mail servers from sending email to their customers (confused yet?). this is not unusual.... i am currently dealing with a similar situation.

on the cpanel error, its pretty clear that apple icloud is blocking you from sending email due to a bad reputation. do you Make use of Sender Policy Framework (SPF) and DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) to authenticate your emails? its a good idea.... refer to their link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204137

i would suggest utilizing the gmail servers to send email as opposed to your hosting company. does gmail allow you to do that? i would think that they do...

either that or get SPF, DKIM and DMARC established for your domain.

if i have misunderstood anything with regards to your post, i apologize in advance. just trying to help, and as i said email is confusing!

good luck.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    email is confusing.

your post is confusing.... or i'm just slow...

what what i gather, some email goes through, other emails associated with yahoo/at&t/sbcglobal do not? is that correct??

with regards to this "masked" email hypothesis, i would refer you to your own 1st paragraph. in other words, i think very little about this hypothesis.

you have a website; it has a domain; you have a host that provides email services; but now your domain now utilizes gmail. do i have that correct?

you are currently utilizing your hosting company to send mail from your website. some of that mail fails. if i gather that correctly, then your hosting companies' mail server has a bad reputation, and certain domains are blocking your hosting companies mail servers from sending email to their customers (confused yet?). this is not unusual.... i am currently dealing with a similar situation.

on the cpanel error, its pretty clear that apple icloud is blocking you from sending email due to a bad reputation. do you Make use of Sender Policy Framework (SPF) and DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) to authenticate your emails? its a good idea.... refer to their link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204137

i would suggest utilizing the gmail servers to send email as opposed to your hosting company. does gmail allow you to do that? i would think that they do...

either that or get SPF, DKIM and DMARC established for your domain.

if i have misunderstood anything with regards to your post, i apologize in advance. just trying to help, and as i said email is confusing!

good luck.
    Lmao, I apologize for it being confusing Carl. It really is a giant block of babble.

So, if we use our business emails which are basically business gmail accounts with our @website.com and we send emails manually from our inventory software which is Fishbowl, they always reach their intended destination.

If a customer orders on the website, the emails are automatically sent from our web-host server instead of us. That email seems to be [email protected] which is not an email we setup. The logs show that it's sending from [email protected] and then masking it to show [email protected] (I think). They never reach yahoo/comcast/att/etc.

Now, you mentioned SPF. I did see an SPF=SOFTFAIL in one of the logs. My boss said he had previously sent that to the host but they couldn't figure out what was wrong.

We tried changing all the email options in zc admin to the gmail smtp but it never works. Always fails. I wouldn't understand how we would have a bad reputation either, we've been around for a long time and have great reviews. It seems according to MXRecords that we aren't blacklisted anywhere
    Gaming Content / Deimos

Plugin Contributions

your web server is NOT sending the email. as per your config you are using smtpauth to send mail. which means the server listed as the SMTP server is sending your mail. that is the server whose reputation you need to check, not your own.

that server needs to be listed in the DNS TXT record for SPF in order to PASS the SPF check.

if your host can’t figure out SPF, i have little confidence they know how to configure DKIM.

best.

Plugin Contributions

to use your gmail account refer to this:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en

again, email is confusing.

Plugin Contributions

The issue only happens if their email is yahoo/at&t/sbcglobal related.
    I believe you'll find that AOL should be added to the list.

All these providers are known to block emails and not tell anyone or anything that they did. There's often not even a denial notice. It has happened to us when a former company decided to move to a newer server and its IP was within the range of a bad IP.

Your host is the best soldier in your battle. They need to contact theses services to get your IP off their lists. Even if your site is not on any blacklist, those providers will seldom talk to the site owner but will listen to the host.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    All these providers are known to block emails and not tell anyone or anything that they did. There's often not even a denial notice. It has happened to us when a former company decided to move to a newer server and its IP was within the range of a bad IP.

Your host is the best soldier in your battle. They need to contact theses services to get your IP off their lists. Even if your site is not on any blacklist, those providers will seldom talk to the site owner but will listen to the host.
    in my experience, email providers rarely deny email without bouncing it back to you... they want you to stop or convince them that you are legit... just accepting the email and deleting it without forwarding it on to the intended recipient is encouraging additional email from that sender... again just my experience....

if you read through the OP's posts, you will see that the hosting company could not help with a SOFTFAIL on the SPK record. while i might agree that the host is really responsible for their mail server and keeping it off blacklists and ensuring mail delivery, i have little confidence with a hosting company when they can not help with SPK records. maybe i expect too much....

finally, i have found twitter to be the best resource for customer complaints of all kinds...

best.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

yahoo/at&t/sbcglobal are really a PIA. They don't deliver our emails either. I contacted them and they said unequivocally that we are not blocked in any way. I see the mail sent from the server, but it's never delivered.

~Melanie
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast