Plugin Contributions

Default can 'Zones' (state/province) be removed from countries where is isn't needed?

I just did a fresh install of 1.5.5f and I came across a grave error:

As a user (not admin) I place something into my cart, I checkout, enter my address... When the country is i.e. Germany it asks for the 'State' - but that is never used in a German address. In fact as far as I know only 6 countries require a state/province in the address.

I am aware that it can be removed in Admin, but then the State field never shows, even not for USA.

I wonder why this error never was addressed. That should be the default setup.

So how can that be achieved? Or can that be achieved?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: can 'Zones' (state/province) be removed from countries where is isn't needed?

You might look at the Zone Table rates from the add-on plugins:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=478
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: can 'Zones' (state/province) be removed from countries where is isn't needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    You might look at the Zone Table rates from the add-on plugins:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=478
    That's more for zones and shipping rates.

What is probably required is a JS function that:

• Shows all address related fields
    • Adds or removes 'Zone/Province/State' based on the country you choose from the drop down list

Have to add, I just came over from OpenCart because the grass looks always greener on the other side (till you get there of course)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof View Post
    That's more for zones and shipping rates.

What is probably required is a JS function that:

• Shows all address related fields
    • Adds or removes 'Zone/Province/State' based on the country you choose from the drop down list

Have to add, I just came over from OpenCart because the grass looks always greener on the other side (till you get there of course)
    This type issue has been discussed and resolved in a number of ways. What if JS is disabled on the user's side?
    Some have actually swapped the country and the state so that (even though it may depend on javascriopt) at least the customer gets to the country, their selection modifies the state portion. Other options have been to work as descibed to hide the state until all existing selections have been made and the form submitted, then to make the state appear if it is in some way required.

Lastly I find it hard to believe that this is the issue that makes or breaks the use of the cart. Yes, there is some form of steep learning curve to overcome, always is with anything new.

As to addressing the "error", ZC is open source and accepts solutions to problems solved. I would think the developers would welcome a solution that works for all countries if one is found/developed. Seek out the how to contribute FAQ for ways to further the software.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    What if JS is disabled on the user's side?
    This is certainly an issue. However, I believe if JS is disabled most carts will not run well.

I just started again with ZC and need to look into it a bit further. Have to add, I did ran an older version for some years and it worked flawless. OpenCart looks so much nicer though out of the box (but generates too man errors)

I am aware that ZC has some excellent themes (Westminster looks cool!)