Plugin Contributions

Default Developers Tool Kit file location becomes clickable link to open in text editor

Has anyone ever done this mod to their Developer's Tool-kit?

For example if you use Windows 7 and notepad ++ it looks like something along these lines *might* work?

https://superuser.com/questions/5857...inks-in-itself

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Developers Tool Kit file location becomes clickable link to open in text editor

I'm not sure I understand your question.

The Developers Toolkit page in your website is vastly different than a local application like Notepad++

What's the business/technical problem you're trying to solve here?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Developers Tool Kit file location becomes clickable link to open in text editor

You could do something like that if you are working on your site locally using WAMP but it wouldn't work on your live site.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Basically as I saw the issue, DrByte, was that it is desired to offer a link in the Developer's ToolKit when the results are provided. The link would locally open software "known" to be on the computer. The link would direct opening the destination file(s) preferably to the point at which the result was found. At a minimum to open just the file that has/had the result in it.

Seemed to me possible to program into the Developer's ToolKit as an additional link containing the application "call-out" as part of the displayed results. As eluded by swguy, perhaps this application can manipulate remote side software; however, there is always the issue/concern of directly modifying a live site instead of a development site. Successful changes made to the development site to then be merged into the live site. The live site therefore would have little to no need to incorporate this functionality. Additionally, such feature may not work from another computer if the software (Notepad ++ or whatever tool is to be used) does not exist on the computer accessing the admin's Developer ToolKit.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Well, sometimes you might want to have a dev site on the remote server so you are working on the server and all of it's configurations that your changes will eventually be pushed to on the live site. I have found XAMPP to have some limitations (or more likely my knowledge of configuring the local server has many limitations!!).

I think it would be a lot more useful to have an editor in the admin, sort of like how the cPanel file manager has a code editor. I think maybe Wordpress also has this feature but it's been a long time since I looked at Wordpress so maybe I'm wrong. Being able to edit files directly within the admin would be a very handy feature to have. I understand there would be security risks.

Zen Cart and it's community are the best!!