Plugin Contributions

Default Augmented Reality module, any use to anyone?

I've been playing with an idea of an Augmented Reality viewer for my site and its now working (subject to a bit more browser testing) so I thought I'd see if anyone else could use it and maybe give a bit of feedback.

Its a sort of Augmented Reality viewer for product images, I say sort of as it doesn't have the full 3d functionally of a proper AR app, but its a lot simpler to run and you don't need to think about product modelling.

So the idea is, customer views product page, there is a link on the page for the AR Viewer this opens a pop window with the product image overlaid on the user camera (mobile and tablet work best, but you could use pc and webcam) so they can see the product where they point the camera (if this doesn't make sense see the demo below)

Things to note.
    Demo is currently set to use front camera only (not the selfie view), so you'll need to test on a mobile or tablet.
    Image has to be a png for the transparency and have a transparent bg (might add webp at some point).
    Still a work in progress, I know there are things to fix, like zooming and/or swapping the image sizes to fit the viewport better.
    Its not going to suit every store but I think its going to help mine, so it might help you as well!

So what do you think, is this something you'd like me to package in to plugin for you all to try?

Demo
    https://quadbikeheaven.co.uk/index.p...products_id=12

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Augmented Reality module, any use to anyone?

Is this so the customer can see how something like a poster for sale on a website would look on their wall? I tried it and the image was overlaid on my camera's view of the room I was in, is that what it's supposed to be like? Perhaps you could make it so it's only enabled in mobile/tablet view so desktop/laptop can't see it as it's not very useful unless you have a plug-in webcam to move around.

Zen Cart and it's community are the best!!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Augmented Reality module, any use to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by lankeeyankee View Post
    Is this so the customer can see how something like a poster for sale on a website would look on their wall?
    Yeah thats the idea, I'm reading more and more about AR in e-commerce (think it was Shopify and Magento who did article on it recently).

Quote Originally Posted by lankeeyankee View Post
    Perhaps you could make it so it's only enabled in mobile/tablet view so desktop/laptop can't see it as it's not very useful unless you have a plug-in webcam to move around.
    I did this originally but I was have a bit of a problem detecting if a camera is available so I could show the "AR viewer" button, so someone suggested (on stackoverflow) that it might be good to show the button with the message that you need a camera as it would let customer know that the feature is available and might encourage them to try the feature on a mobile or tablet.

Thanks for your feedback good to get someone else's opinion!