Plugin Contributions

Default PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'versionMajor'

I'm running version 1.55f and this just started appearing in debug logs this morning along with some strange code next to a notice for a new version release in my admin. I've double checked the files on the server and don't see that any of them have been touched. I'm assuming the error is due to what I'm getting back from the Zen Cart version server. Also when I click the "Download Now" button it just redirects to a non-existent page in my own catalog generating a 404 error.

See attached image and debug log.

Attachment 17838

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'versionMajor'

I've had similar issues for the past few hours. I think it is a problem at the Zen Cart end and not ours.

[10-May-2018 15:28:26 UTC] PHP Notice: CURL error checking plugin versions: Failed to connect to ping.zen-cart.com port 443: Connection refused[7] in .../includes/functions/plugin_support.php on line 41

Plugin Contributions

Yes, I just noticed a debug from another plugin that was trying to connect to the Zen Cart version server. I just wanted ZC staff to be aware, if they weren't already.

Plugin Contributions

I'm glad you did. When it started I checked the forums and was expecting to see loads of reports. There were none and as I had just installed a plugin I needed to rule out I hadn't broken things my end.

Was just about to start looking in to that possibility when I checked again and saw your post.

Plugin Contributions

There have been intermittent reports of this type of result for a while. A potential solution to this has been posted here: https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....06#post1344606

The issue being that when an error occurs in the version check that a string is returned. The software generally expects an array to be returned and therefore doesn't respond in a controlled, expected manner. So as also identified elsewhere (https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....t-versionMajor), the issue could be caused by being on a local server that is offline.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks I did see that. My main concern is performance though. My Admin seems to take a hit while waiting for the response.

I notice another thread has just been started so hopefully there is a problem with the versioning server that needs sorting.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Yes, There were some problems with the version-server over the past couple hours. Things appear to be working properly again now.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

In my case this was our live server that is definitely online. Not a local server. I made the changes to VersionServer.php and header.php as suggested in the thread you linked mc12345678 and I'm no longer getting the PHP warnings, nor am I getting any CURL errors listed (I guess since the server is back online :) ). Thanks for the help.

Plugin Contributions

Yes fine for me too now. I made no changes though as I don't have issue with the strange error. Leaving stock code gives me one less thing to compare on future upgrades.