Plugin Contributions

Default Link to a category from a product

Hello, I think this should be easy to set up, but I was unable to find a solution when searching the forums. I have some ideas regarding 301 redirects, but I do not want the link to disappear from google or anything, I just have a popular product that has 20 different variants, and it seems best to keep these in their own category, rather than have the same 20 products listed in every category they could find themselves in. So I would like to make a single product that I can put in these other categories, and have this product link or perform an instant redirect to the main category that the 20 variations of the product are stored in.

Thinking about it more, there may be other problems I did not consider, such as an add to cart button that would be non-functional, but surely this could be modified to show 'options' instead, so I doubt it would be that big of a hurdle to overcome. I can probably handle this part myself, just looking for some general guidance really.

Is this as simple as an .htaccess 301? I feel like this may be overkill. Any and all help is appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Link to a category from a product

I think your solution may be to copy the "main" product to other categories as a linked product. This way You have 1 product with the same id in multiple categories.
    You can do this from your admin when viewing the category listing. Copy a product and make sure the copy as link is selected.

Quote Originally Posted by exsy View Post
    Hello, I think this should be easy to set up, but I was unable to find a solution when searching the forums. I have some ideas regarding 301 redirects, but I do not want the link to disappear from google or anything, I just have a popular product that has 20 different variants, and it seems best to keep these in their own category, rather than have the same 20 products listed in every category they could find themselves in. So I would like to make a single product that I can put in these other categories, and have this product link or perform an instant redirect to the main category that the 20 variations of the product are stored in.

Thinking about it more, there may be other problems I did not consider, such as an add to cart button that would be non-functional, but surely this could be modified to show 'options' instead, so I doubt it would be that big of a hurdle to overcome. I can probably handle this part myself, just looking for some general guidance really.

Is this as simple as an .htaccess 301? I feel like this may be overkill. Any and all help is appreciated.