Plugin Contributions

Default Hosting my site on Digital Ocean (DO)

Hi community!

I see Digital Ocean listed on the recommended services page, and on the compatible hosting page as well, likewise I heard good things about DO overall but searching the forums did not result in a thread exclusively for discussing this.

I'm creating this thread for the purpose of assistance with installing (recommendations for droplet types and versions, etc) and for help with issues.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Hosting my site on Digital Ocean (DO)

If your site has low-to-medium traffic, the smaller droplet size is probably adequate. Lots of Zen Cart sites will be fine on the $5 droplet. That said, you can always resize to bigger if you need more CPU or RAM or Disk space.

With Digital Ocean, since you'll be managing the server completely yourself, you'll need to know how to do server administration and server security etc.
    If you're already skilled in those areas, you can just go ahead and launch a droplet and get started.

If you're not skilled with server administration, you could create your Digital Ocean account and then connect a service like Cloudways or ServerPilot to it for "managed server" support, for a modest fee.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.