Plugin Contributions

Default database upgrade on 139h to 155f

I have a site which is using 139h and the database is 5.6.32-78.1 I did not install any templates just changed pictures to give the site a different appearance. I want to update the database to work with 155f . I have read all I can find, gone thru all the Docs and I keep reading that the 155f will prompt me to update the database (DB).
    I'm doing all this in a sub folder to be safe. I also exported/imported to a new DB and directed the clean install to the sub-folder and temp DB. I have done it 3 times. It sees the DB but does not give an update button. The new install on 155f will not give me the option to update the DB and says it is going to overwrite and it does. I also tried to push that DB into the clean 155f install and that failed. I did not think it would work but had to try it as it cost little time at that point. I have updated a DB before at around 14x.x and have gotten the prompt to update the DB, and it worked. Do I need update with an earlier ZC then update again from that one to 155f ??? if so what would you suggest?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: database upgrade on 139h to 155f

The prompt to "upgrade the database" will not show if it can't find an unupgraded database using the DB_XXXXXX credentials provided in your /includes/configure.php file.
    The MOST common cause of this is where your "old" database has been set to use a certain DB_PREFIX for all its tablenames but in your "new"/test site you didn't specify the same DB_PREFIX. Thus while it may be able to connect to that "database", it can't find any "matching table names" (and so what it's actually finding is the un-prefixed tablenames you gave it for the "fresh install", and is ignoring the imported tables that have the "old" "prefixed" tablenames).

So, the simplest way to handle/recover-from this is:
    0. Remove the wrong-prefixed tables from your database (perhaps with phpMyAdmin)
    1. Re-do your "fresh install" by running zc_install and this time provide the Prefix by using whatever was in the "old" site's DB_PREFIX setting in configure.php
    Test that it's functioning properly as a fresh install.
    2. Re-import your "old" database contents into this "new" database, replacing the tables that were just created.
    3. Run zc_install, and you'll see the prompt to upgrade the database.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: database upgrade on 139h to 155f

Thanks Doc for the help
    I'm not sure if anyone has gone about it this way but I feel I need to share what I did and what happened.

Read above, I could not get the Up-date for the database (DB) when using zc_install. I looked into the DB_PREFIX which was null and was also null in the configure.php file. I even put one in there and changed it in the configure.php file. No luck. Then changed it back hoping it would clean something out. :-)
    No luck. Originally his cart was on another server with a different hosting company. It had some personality, which is why I was after clean installs.

On one of my attempts I had gone too far on the zc_install and the DB was overwritten again and all my data was not there. I deleted that DB via the cPanel and created it with the same name, user etc. At that point I had a blank DB (no tables at all) then imported the test database (exact copy) into it. I went back to the beginning of the zc_install and started again, there was the coveted upgrade button. It updated 5 levels of the DB. The cart was not without bugs and problems. Didn't care. I exported that DB and created a new lower file "catalog2" when the old cart is at "catalog". The upgraded DB went in without a glitch, and the website worked great. I did some testing then moved the new cart into the same location the old one was in so everything is the same as far as search engines go.
    https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...that-directory

Then I did a a good back-up of the site via filezilla and the DB via phpMyAdmin
    Some orders came in under the old cart and they were shipped via the new updated cart.
    Last edited by willweC; 18 Jun 2018 at 03:11 AM. Reason: added something