Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrading and Migrating to v1.5.5f - User could not be identified

Hello -

I'm in the process of migrating my live Zencart site (on MS IIS) to a new server (Linux) and thought I would use the opportunity to upgrade as well.

I have followed the procedures for downloading the live site to my local PC, downloaded a copy of the 'live (current)' version (1.5.1) to local PC and run winmerge to compare and compile a list of changes and made them on the Linux site in addition to renaming the admin folder to tm_admin.

The 'new version' was auto installed using Softaculous and unfortunately I didn't retain the prefix (but have modified the includes/config.php and admin/includes/config.php files to reflect the prefix from the live DB.

I dropped all the tables from the Linux DB and imported the live DB info, and knew I would have to run an DB upgrade. In order for this to happen, I had to download, locally, a copy of 1.5.5f to extract the zc_install folder which was deleted in the auto install.

Everything seemed to work fine, I got the message to upgrade the DB and provide superuser password, but received the message that the "User could not be verified."

Searching the forums turned up several possibilities. I did a SQL reset to Admin, updated the password and tried again. No joy. Added a new superuser. No luck.

Any help is much appreciated. I apologize if this has been answered. I read several threads and did a search but found nothing that did the trick.

MySQL v5.6.27; Apache v2.4.33; PHP v7.0.30; Live ZC v1.5.1; Linux copy 1.5.5f
    Plugins used: Dover Fine Theme (loaded on both); Lightbox (not added to Linux version yet); Edit Orders (not added to linux version yet).
    Can't provide a link to the site since the domain names have not been pointed to the new location yet. I have edited my hosts table to do the work locally.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrading and Migrating to v1.5.5f - User could not be identified

One way, not described above as attempted, is to remove all admin users from the table and then again add the admin user using the FAQ: https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?44
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    One way, not described above as attempted, is to remove all admin users from the table and then again add the admin user using the FAQ: https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?44
    Thanks for the suggestion mc12345678. This was the first solution I tried but have referred to it in my post as "SQL Reset to Admin."

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Seaghan View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion mc12345678. This was the first solution I tried but have referred to it in my post as "SQL Reset to Admin."
    Gathered that the FAQ had been used for the SQL part; however, the FAQ does not identify to remove *all* admin's, just the one that is to then be created by the second SQL statement.

I didn't add (because it is covered in the FAQ) to ensure that capitalization of both the user name and password were important.

Also, to be sure that all was documented as performed, after the sql statement had been performed, the admin panel was not accessed was it before trying it in the zc_install, correct?

Plugin Contributions

I can't be certain (if I accessed the admin panel after running the SQL statement), but knowing my habits, I likely did.

So, I just now removed all Admin users (using the admin panel) except the one the SQL statement created because I can't remove them all from within the admin panel. Do you want them all removed using phpMyAdmin?.

I ran the SQL statement again, did not log in to the admin panel and tried running zc_install. Same result.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Seaghan View Post
    Everything seemed to work fine, I got the message to upgrade the DB and provide superuser password, but received the message that the "User could not be verified."
    During the install/upgrade, I do be-leave user/password is for the database, nut ZC admin.
    So, updating database would be the user/password on that sql database you would need.. although, you will need that fixed now. In both configure.php files, check that the user and password is correct for the new database and you are not using the old database pair.
    Dave
    Always forward thinking... Lost my mind!

Plugin Contributions

Hi davewest -

Originally, after it couldn't validate the Admin Superuser I tried the DB user/password and it didn't work either.

I just tried again with the same result... "User could not be identified."

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Plugin Contributions

Hello -

Still struggling to update the database.

With regards to the preceding suggestions, I have removed all the users from the admin table through phpMyAdmin and run the script so that there is only one entry now... and didn't log in to the back end with the user first. Still it doesn't validate the user.

Additionally, I have noticed that the "Database Upgrade" page lists upgrades in steps from 1.2.7 through to 1.5.5, however I was running version 1.5.1, so I would have assumed that the DB was already at version 1.5.1. I tried unchecking versions 1.2.7 through to 1.5.1, still no change (I didn't really expect it, but am running out of options).

Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.
    Seaghan

Plugin Contributions

So I just spent the day double-checking changes that were made and confirming that files contained what I thought they contained and discovered something odd.

I was updating two sites and was aware that I needed to change the table prefix for both of these sites in two files... includes/configure and admin/includes/configure.

In both cases the configure.php file in includes/ wasn't properly written and the default prefix remained. I could be operator error, but twice? On two different days? I only discovered this by loading a local copy of 1.5.5f and running the DB upgrade on it. Knowing what it should look like (ie, you should only see references to the DB upgrades relevant from your current to the new version... in my case 1.5.1 to 1.5.2, 1.5.2 to 1.5.3, etc. and not from 1.2.7 as my previous message stated) helped to twig that the DB was not being properly (if at all) accessed.

Also, for those of you performing this same upgrade, it is worth mentioning (since there are so many passwords) that if you remove all the tables from the "new" and empty DB and then import the tables from you "old" and "working" DB, the Superuser name the upgrade is expecting is your Admin login on your "old" working site, which in hindsight makes perfect sense, since you just brought in the table that it validates against.

Sorry to waste peoples times. I apologize for what is probably OE.

Thanks for the helps and suggestions.

Regards,
    Seaghan

Plugin Contributions

The issue with the file not "storing" (even twice) is that the includes/configure.php gets reset to file permissions of 444 rather quickly. To store the settings/changes, it's permissions must be modified to at least 644 prior to saving. There are cases/situations where it may be necessary to delete the file and then save it.

Glad you got it figured out and posted the results. Congratulations!