Plugin Contributions

Default Have you switched from PayPal Payments Pro to Square, or already use Square? Thoughts

Hi,

I am considering switching from PayPal payments Pro to Square.
    Has anyone done this or using Square to process payments directly on their website (e.g. no redirection to processor page)? If so, I'd like to hear your experiences.

My main concerns are the ability to download detailed transaction data, sales reports, etc (like PayPal offers), as well as seamless integration, where both payments and refunds are handled within the Zen Cart.

Also, I understand there is no monthly fee with Square, unlike the PP Payments Pro, correct?

Thanks for any advise you can offer,

David

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Have you switched from PayPal Payments Pro to Square, or already use Square? Thou

Don't use the pro. We mostly use Express and Square.

I feel that the two should be used whenever they are available. Both are not available in some areas but definitely available in the US.

Some folks will NEVER use PayPal, no matter what. Others feel that PayPal is better about getting a resolution if there's a problem with the product.

Both are pretty good at avoiding fraud.

We've not had problems with PayPal.

Had two problems with Square. One was flat out identity theft. The other was a customer using a credit card for a non-profit. She had gotten the non-profit account through her bank and they put her zip code on the account versus the zip code of the non-profit's address.

Neither will catch identity theft fast enough to prevent sending the product before you find out.

All part of doing business. And, having more than one way of paying won't be an excuse not to buy.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Have you switched from PayPal Payments Pro to Square, or already use Square? Thou

Quote Originally Posted by dvtalk View Post
    Hi,

I am considering switching from PayPal payments Pro to Square.
    Has anyone done this or using Square to process payments directly on their website (e.g. no redirection to processor page)? If so, I'd like to hear your experiences.

My main concerns are the ability to download detailed transaction data, sales reports, etc (like PayPal offers), as well as seamless integration, where both payments and refunds are handled within the Zen Cart.

Also, I understand there is no monthly fee with Square, unlike the PP Payments Pro, correct?

Thanks for any advise you can offer,

David
    Paypal says it is free and I use it and am not charged a fee. I see that Square charges 2.5% so I do not see why you say there are no fees.
    I do not know about the PayPal pro so why not change to the standard PayPal.

I do not know about the reluctance to use PayPal by customers as it accepts all cards. Can you let me know more about this reluctance?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bscho View Post
    Paypal says it is free and I use it and am not charged a fee. I see that Square charges 2.5% so I do not see why you say there are no fees.
    I do not know about the PayPal pro so why not change to the standard PayPal.

I do not know about the reluctance to use PayPal by customers as it accepts all cards. Can you let me know more about this reluctance?
    PayPal Payments Pro is not free, it is $30/month. I specifically asked about a "monthly fee", which the 2.5% transaction fee you mentioned isn't one.
    Standard PayPal doens't have a seamless integration. The buyer knows you are usig PayPal. PayPal Payments Pro is just like other merchant accounts where the entire transaction apppears to happen on your website.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bscho View Post
    Some people are just anti-PayPal. Generally they (or a friend or a friend-of-a-friend) had a bad experience in the past, and they don't want to use it, at all, ever. About 5% of my customers are like this, so I have a secondary payment processor (the one I use is BrainTree).
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    Some people are just anti-PayPal. Generally they (or a friend or a friend-of-a-friend) had a bad experience in the past, and they don't want to use it, at all, ever. About 5% of my customers are like this, so I have a secondary payment processor (the one I use is BrainTree).
    Thanks swguy. With Payments Pro customer isn't aware they use payPal as gateway and it shouldn't matter. I was just wondering how Square intergation worked, and if anyone had experience using it.

Specifically, whether it works opaquely to the user, i.e. user never leaves the shopping cart to pay on Square website, nor sees who the processor/gateway in the background is. Secondly, reliability. PayPal (even Pro version), used to have frequent timeouts in the past, so a real world experience would be of interest with Square. Any experience with disputes, transfers, reporting etc. would also be useful, before I take a plunge and switch over.