Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default qz print tray 2.0.7 and printing from admin

I am trying to print labels directly from the zen cart admin when the print button is clicked. I am using qz print tray 2.0.7 and can get everything working correctly on their demo and feel that I have the js written almost correctly to get this to work. I need help with the last bit.

This is on a page to print shipping labels (a commercial mod), and it has most of the logic written above the html section. The trouble I am having is getting a variable from the logic passed to the javascript to complete the URL string. When the label is created a png file is also created, stored in the admin images folder and referenced in a DB table. I cannot seem to pass the variable for the file, either directly referenced or through the DB label.

My coding chops are so rusty it's not even funny. I could really use some help or pointers to get this working. When I print the image file name to an alert box it's empty, and the qz log console keeps saying it can't connect to the endpoint. So, it appears to me that the variable is not being recognized. I have spent many hours over the past few days trying many different things and come up empty.

Here's the code that creates the image file of the label, it's in a switch statement:
    PHP Code:
    if (in_array(MODULE_SHIPPING_FEDEX_WEBSERVICES_LABELS_IMAGETYPE, array(

'PNG',

'PDF'

))) {

$tracking_number_image $tracking_number '.' strtolower(MODULE_SHIPPING_FEDEX_WEBSERVICES_LABELS_IMAGETYPE);

$fp                    fopen(DIR_FS_ADMIN 'images/fedex/' $tracking_number_image'wb');

fwrite($fp$response->CompletedShipmentDetail->CompletedPackageDetails->Label->Parts->Image); //Create PNG or PDF file

fclose($fp);
                        }

$sql_data_array = array(

'orders_id' => $order_id,

'labels' => $tracking_number_image

);

zen_db_perform(DB_PREFIX 'fedex_labels'$sql_data_array); 
    my javascript, which is loaded after the <body> tag:
    Code:
     <script type="text/javascript">
    function connectAndPrint() {
    // our promise chain
        connect().then(function() {
            return print();
        }).then(function() {
            success();              // exceptions get thrown all the way up the stack
        }).catch(fail);             // so one catch is often enough for all promises

// NOTE:  If a function returns a promise, you don't need to wrap it in a fuction call.
        //        The following is perfectly valid:
        //
        //        connect().then(print).then(success).catch(fail);
        //
        // Important, in this case success is NOT a promise, so it should stay wrapped in a function() to avoid confusion
    }

// connection wrapper
    //  - allows active and inactive connections to resolve regardless
    //  - try to connect once before firing the mimetype launcher
    //  - if connection fails, catch the reject, fire the mimetype launcher
    //  - after mimetype launcher is fired, try to connect 3 more times
    function connect() {
        return new RSVP.Promise(function(resolve, reject) {
            if (qz.websocket.isActive()) {    // if already active, resolve immediately
                resolve();
            } else {
                // try to connect once before firing the mimetype launcher
                qz.websocket.connect().then(resolve, function reject() {
                    // if a connect was not succesful, launch the mimetime, try 3 more times
                    window.location.assign("qz:launch");
                    qz.websocket.connect({ retries: 2, delay: 1 }).then(resolve, reject);
                });
            }
        });
    }

// print logic
    function print() {
        var printer = "Zebra  ZP 450-200dpi";
        var options =  { size: { width: 4, height: 6}, units: "in", density: "600", language: "ZPL" };
        var config = qz.configs.create(printer, options); 
        var data = [{ type: 'png', format: 'image', flavor: 'file', data: 'images/fedex/<?php echo $fp; ?>' }];

// return the promise so we can chain more .then().then().catch(), etc.
        return qz.print(config, data);
    }

// notify successful print
    function success() { 
        alert("Success");
    }

// exception catch-all
    function fail(e) {
        alert("Error: " + e);
    }
    </script>
    So, as you can see in the js, I've got this line:
    Code:
    data: 'images/fedex/<?php echo $fp; ?>'
    Which references the $fp variable from the above PHP section. I have tried do this, too, but still nothing:
    Code:
        <?php $oID = zen_db_prepare_input($_GET['oID']);
    $fedex_labels = $db->Execute('SELECT * FROM ' . DB_PREFIX . 'fedex_labels WHERE labels IS NOT NULL AND orders_id = ' . $oID . ' ORDER BY labels ASC;');
    if ($fedex_labels->RecordCount() > 0) {
      while(!$fedex_labels->EOF) {
          $printLabel = print_var($fedex_labels);
      $fedex_labels->MoveNext();
    }}
    ?>
        // our promise chain
    I've tried so many other things that I forget them now, kind of a blur hahaha. I am hoping it is something pretty straightforward, because I really need to get this to work. In a very busy warehouse, having to click through 3 times to print a label (as this mod is currently set up by default), it's a big time waster. That's why I am trying to get qz tray to work, so when the print button is clicked it just prints the label to the thermal printer.

I have no problem paying to get this done, but thought I would throw it out here first to see if someone had a suggestion first (mostly because I really want to know what I've done wrong and learn/grow from it, not because of the cost).

Zen Cart and it's community are the best!!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: qz print tray 2.0.7 and printing from admin

$fp in the first set of php code is a resource or could be thought of as a file pointer. It looks like you are instead wanting to reference the filename. The filename portion of the fopen function (which seems to reference the desired image) contains the full path to the file. What that seems to mean is that in your javascript instead of referencing $fp, you might want to reference/use: $tracking_number_image instead. Though there appears to be the possibility that $tracking_number_image may not be set if the criteria of the first if statement is not met. What that means is that the javascript may get broken or allow undesirable operations if the specific conditions are not met to support the follow-on javascript.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply! $tracking_number_image was my first try and it still came up blank. I could be way off on what I am trying to do, anyway. But, the tracking email fires off when the ship (print) button is clicked so I figured the image path would be set, too. Could it be that the image path would never be set until after the button is clicked and that is why it never gets added to the URL string? In that case, would I need to do some type of ajax or js refresh or a delayed execution to then pull the image path? Currently, I have the js firing as an onclick event on the button. I didn't know how else I might get it to execute after the fact. I tried including it within the switch statement so it would fire just like the email does but that didn't work, either. Of course, I could have gotten the code wrong :-)
    Last edited by lankeeyankee; 26 Jul 2018 at 02:49 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lankeeyankee View Post
    I am trying to print labels directly from the zen cart admin when the print button is clicked. I am using qz print tray 2.0.7 and can get everything working correctly on their demo and feel that I have the js written almost correctly to get this to work. I need help with the last bit.

This is on a page to print shipping labels (a commercial mod), and it has most of the logic written above the html section. The trouble I am having is getting a variable from the logic passed to the javascript to complete the URL string. When the label is created a png file is also created, stored in the admin images folder and referenced in a DB table. I cannot seem to pass the variable for the file, either directly referenced or through the DB label.

My coding chops are so rusty it's not even funny. I could really use some help or pointers to get this working. When I print the image file name to an alert box it's empty, and the qz log console keeps saying it can't connect to the endpoint. So, it appears to me that the variable is not being recognized. I have spent many hours over the past few days trying many different things and come up empty.

Here's the code that creates the image file of the label, it's in a switch statement:
    PHP Code:
    if (in_array(MODULE_SHIPPING_FEDEX_WEBSERVICES_LABELS_IMAGETYPE, array(

'PNG',

'PDF'

))) {

$tracking_number_image $tracking_number '.' strtolower(MODULE_SHIPPING_FEDEX_WEBSERVICES_LABELS_IMAGETYPE);

$fp                    fopen(DIR_FS_ADMIN 'images/fedex/' $tracking_number_image'wb');

fwrite($fp$response->CompletedShipmentDetail->CompletedPackageDetails->Label->Parts->Image); //Create PNG or PDF file

fclose($fp);
                        }

$sql_data_array = array(

'orders_id' => $order_id,

'labels' => $tracking_number_image

);

zen_db_perform(DB_PREFIX 'fedex_labels'$sql_data_array); 
    my javascript, which is loaded after the <body> tag:
    Code:
    // our promise chain
            return print();
        }).then(function() {
            success();              // exceptions get thrown all the way up the stack
        }).catch(fail);             // so one catch is often enough for all promises

// NOTE:  If a function returns a promise, you don't need to wrap it in a fuction call.
        //        The following is perfectly valid:
        //
        //        connect().then(print).then(success).catch(fail);
        //
        // Important, in this case success is NOT a promise, so it should stay wrapped in a function() to avoid confusion
    }

// connection wrapper
    //  - allows active and inactive connections to resolve regardless
    //  - try to connect once before firing the mimetype launcher
    //  - if connection fails, catch the reject, fire the mimetype launcher
    //  - after mimetype launcher is fired, try to connect 3 more times
    function connect() {
        return new RSVP.Promise(function(resolve, reject) {
            if (qz.websocket.isActive()) {    // if already active, resolve immediately
                resolve();
            } else {
                // try to connect once before firing the mimetype launcher
                qz.websocket.connect().then(resolve, function reject() {
                    // if a connect was not succesful, launch the mimetime, try 3 more times
                    qz.websocket.connect({ retries: 2, delay: 1 }).then(resolve, reject);
                });
            }
        });
    }

// print logic
    function print() {
        var printer = "Zebra  ZP 450-200dpi";
        var options =  { size: { width: 4, height: 6}, units: "in", density: "600", language: "ZPL" };
        var config = qz.configs.create(printer, options); 
        var data = [{ type: 'png', format: 'image', flavor: 'file', data: 'images/fedex/<?php echo $fp; ?>' }];

// return the promise so we can chain more .then().then().catch(), etc.
        return qz.print(config, data);
    }

// notify successful print
    function success() { 
        alert("Success");
    }

// exception catch-all
    function fail(e) {
        alert("Error: " + e);
    }
    </script>
    So, as you can see in the js, I've got this line:
    Code:
    data: 'images/fedex/<?php echo $fp; ?>'
    Which references the $fp variable from the above PHP section. I have tried do this, too, but still nothing:
    Code:
        <?php $oID = zen_db_prepare_input($_GET['oID']);
    $fedex_labels = $db->Execute('SELECT * FROM ' . DB_PREFIX . 'fedex_labels WHERE labels IS NOT NULL AND orders_id = ' . $oID . ' ORDER BY labels ASC;');
    if ($fedex_labels->RecordCount() > 0) {
      while(!$fedex_labels->EOF) {
          $printLabel = print_var($fedex_labels);
      $fedex_labels->MoveNext();
    }}
    ?>
        // our promise chain
    I've tried so many other things that I forget them now, kind of a blur hahaha. I am hoping it is something pretty straightforward, because I really need to get this to work. In a very busy warehouse, having to click through 3 times to print a label (as this mod is currently set up by default), it's a big time waster. That's why I am trying to get qz tray to work, so when the print button is clicked it just prints the label to the thermal printer.

I have no problem paying to get this done, but thought I would throw it out here first to see if someone had a suggestion first (mostly because I really want to know what I've done wrong and learn/grow from it, not because of the cost).
    yankee,
    you are either all over the place, or i'm not following.... but i will try to help.

lets go over your first bit of php code first. as you say you are creating an image file, and then inserting into your db in a new table, the order number and the name of the image file. my first question is does this part of the code work? and really there are 2 parts to that, the easy part of the question is the table being properly populated; and then the harder part is the image file properly constructed? ie can you print the image file directly to your chosen printer correctly? this may require you to make a copy of the file on your workstation as the image file is stored on the server. as you say, you are on the last bit, so i'm guessing you have gotten this part to work properly.

if you have tested that, and you know that works, we can then move on. i want to comment on your last bit of code that you have tried. i have no idea what the function print_var is. it is not listed as anything on php.net, so have you defined a function called that? i do not see any code for it that you have posted, so perhaps you can enlighten me what that might be. or is it part of the qz app?

in addition, you are passing this undefined function a database object. i have a very distinct feeling that the print_var function will not know what to do with the db object. i think the code for this undefined function more likely would be:

PHP Code:
    print_var($fedex_labels->fields['labels']); 
    i see no need to assign it to anything as you don't do anything with the result. and again i have no idea what print_var does.

now with regards to your javascript and the embedded php. my first question is whether this is in a php file or if it is in a js file? it will only work in the former and not in the latter.

i think this qz app is interesting, and i want to thank you for turning me onto it. i have yet to download it and play around with it, so i know nothing about it. that said, it looks like a viable solution for what you are trying to do. so without really having any base of knowledge on it, it is hard for me to comment. i know getting javascript to run without errors can be tricky. have you used the console on the developer tools to play around with your loaded javascript objects? you should be able to call one of qz javascript functions from the console and get that label to print and then you can code accordingly.

i hope that helps a little bit. i plan on downloading and playing around with qz when i have some more time, and if i can add anything helpful, i will.

best.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, Carl. Yes, I am not very good at explaining myself! I didn't post the complete files, just what I thought were the relevant sections.

Yes, everything does work as expected with the base files. The issue I was having is out of the box when you click the print button it would direct to a new page which would display a thumbnail of the generated label image, you have to click the thumbnail to open another page showing the full image which you then have to CRL+P to print. Kind of clunky when you are printing 100+ labels/day. That's where qz tray comes in.

I never figured this out, perhaps some type of AJAX call after the print button was clicked which generates the label would work. What I did was on the view label page, the new page after clicking print, I put the while loop inside the js so it automatically prints the label. It works as expected, here is my complete code, I added the refresh so it would automatically redirect back to the orders page:
    PHP Code:
    <?php

require('includes/application_top.php');

$oID zen_db_prepare_input($_GET['oID']);
    ?>

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    <html <?php echo HTML_PARAMS?>>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET?>">
    <title><?php echo TITLE?></title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="includes/stylesheet.css">
    <script language="javascript" src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1/jquery.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="includes/javascript/rsvp-3.1.0.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="includes/javascript/sha-256.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="includes/javascript/qz-tray.js"></script>
    <script language="javascript" src="includes/menu.js"></script>
    </head>
    <body>
    <script language="javascript">
    <?php
    $fedex_labels 
    $db->Execute('SELECT * FROM ' DB_PREFIX 'fedex_labels WHERE labels IS NOT NULL AND orders_id = ' $oID ' ORDER BY labels ASC;');
    if (
    $fedex_labels->RecordCount() > 0) {
      while(!
    $fedex_labels->EOF) {

$label $fedex_labels->fields['labels'];

?>
        function connectAndPrint() {
        // our promise chain
        connect().then(function() {
            return print();
        }).catch(fail);             // so one catch is often enough for all promises

// NOTE:  If a function returns a promise, you don't need to wrap it in a fuction call.
        //        The following is perfectly valid:
        //
        //        connect().then(print).then(success).catch(fail);
        //
        // Important, in this case success is NOT a promise, so it should stay wrapped in a function() to avoid confusion
    }

// connection wrapper
    //  - allows active and inactive connections to resolve regardless
    //  - try to connect once before firing the mimetype launcher
    //  - if connection fails, catch the reject, fire the mimetype launcher
    //  - after mimetype launcher is fired, try to connect 3 more times
    function connect() {
        return new RSVP.Promise(function(resolve, reject) {
            if (qz.websocket.isActive()) {    // if already active, resolve immediately
                resolve();
            } else {
                // try to connect once before firing the mimetype launcher
                qz.websocket.connect().then(resolve, function reject() {
                    // if a connect was not succesful, launch the mimetime, try 3 more times
                    qz.websocket.connect({ retries: 2, delay: 1 }).then(resolve, reject);
                });
            }
        });
    }

// print logic
    function print() {
        var printer = "Zebra  ZP 450-200dpi";
        var options =  {language: "ZPLII" };
        var config = qz.configs.create(printer, options); 
        var data = [{ type: 'image', data: 'images/fedex/<?php echo $label?>' }];

// return the promise so we can chain more .then().then().catch(), etc.
        return qz.print(config, data);
    }

// exception catch-all
    function fail(e) {
        alert("Error: " + e);
    }

connectAndPrint();

<?php  $fedex_labels->MoveNext();
      }

}
    ?>
    </script>  

</body>
    </html>
    <?php 
      header
    "refresh:4; url=orders.php" ); 
    ?>
    <?php 
    require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES 'application_bottom.php'); ?>
    Currently, I am now working on trying to get it to recognize my system as a trusted source so it will not show the 2 popups to allow the printing to occur(they call it silent printing). You can read about how to do this here:
    https://qz.io/wiki/2.0-signing-messages#advanced
    I am not clear on creating the intermediate certificate and if I am supposed to use the current SSL cert on my domain or create a new private key pair just for this application. If you are able to get this working please share your steps. And if you are able to get it to print without having to go to a different page please also let us know how you did it.

Once I get the silent printing sorted I am going to move on to getting it to pull values from my local USB connected shipping scale to populate the weight field for the label creation.

Plugin Contributions

ok, so i'm clear, you now have this working, with the exception of the security prompts. that's awesome!

creating, installing, and publishing self-signed certificates always seem to be far more complicated than they need be. but when they work it is great.... i'll keep you posted with regards to what i figure out. unfortunately qz print is not too high on my list of things to do right now..... but i have downloaded it and started looking at it.

good luck with the shipping scale. i have coded a couple and it involves sending various keyboard commands, and if necessary coding the keyboard commands prior to that. they key is what is the trigger to send the weight. on the shipping scale that i coded, they were scanning a carton label, and then we coded a few post-amples into that sequence to pull the weight from the scale. not sure what your situation is like, but i agree that logistics operations should be as simple as possible, ie the silent printing, auto-populate weight, etc.

good luck with it all!
    author of square Webpay.

Plugin Contributions

yankee,
    have you gotten it to work w/out the prompts?

i have been working on it, and it's a bit complicated. i think i am close, although maybe not...

my opinion, is that you are NOT using your domain ssl. you need to create your own self-signed certificate.

in addition, there seems to be 2 steps, one if for the qz-tray, and the other is for signing the requests that you make on your website.

here looks to be some of the steps, but i have not gotten it to work. i had a bit of work using ant to compile, but i have succeeded in that:

https://goo.gl/ts1oGT

when installing dependencies, i would refer here:

https://github.com/qzind/tray/wiki/install-dependencies

and when compiling i would refer here:

https://github.com/qzind/tray/wiki/compiling

if i make any more headway, i will let you know. good little product... now to get rid of the security prompts!

best.
    author of square Webpay.

Plugin Contributions

okay silent printing.... forget all of the other stuff... first thing, you need 2 files, a private key and public key. look up openssl... no idea how to do it in windows, but in linux, you can use:

Code:
    openssl req -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout key.pem -x509 -days 365 -out certificate.pem
    the key.pem should NOT be accessible via a web browser. the certificate.pem can be...

assuming you serve your site from /var/yoursite/www, put the key file above the www. in this example, i will use /var/yoursite/crt. so the two files are now here:

/var/yoursite/www/certificate.pem
    /var/yoursite/crt/key.pem

now modify your php code from above as such.

PHP Code:
            <script type="text/javascript" src="includes/javascript/rsvp-3.1.0.min.js"></script>
            <script type="text/javascript" src="includes/javascript/sha-256.min.js"></script>
            <script type="text/javascript" src="includes/javascript/qz-tray.js"></script>
            <script>
                qz.security.setSignaturePromise(function (toSign) {
                    return function (resolve, reject) {
                        $.post("includes/assets/sign-message.php", {request: toSign}).then(resolve, reject);
                    };
                });
                qz.security.setCertificatePromise(function (resolve, reject) {
                    $.ajax({url: "/crt/certificate.pem", cache: false, dataType: "text"}).then(resolve, reject);
                });
            </script> 
    create the following script:

YOUR_ADMIN/includes/assets/sign-message.php

PHP Code:
    $KEY '/var/yoursite/crt/key.pem';
    //$PASS = 'S3cur3P@ssw0rd';

$req $_POST['request'];
    $privateKey openssl_get_privatekey(file_get_contents($KEY/*, $PASS */);

$signature null;
    openssl_sign($req$signature$privateKey);

if (
    $signature) {

header("Content-type: text/plain");
        echo 
    base64_encode($signature);
        exit(
    0);
    }

echo 
    '<h1>Error signing message</h1>';
    exit(
    1); 
    finally, in your qz-tray.properties, add

authcert.override=certificate.pem

you will need to make a copy of the public key on the local machine running qz-tray.

hope that helps. best.
    author of square Webpay.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, Carl. I followed your example to a T, apart from my site is located in /home/username/public_html/thisdomain and not /var/username/www so I changed those paths. I still cannot get it working silently. I didn't do the compiling, did you still do that? I was just using the stock qz-tray. The window still shows it's an untrusted website. Not sure what I've done differently, have gone through the steps twice. Even put the key and certificate files in the admin directory just to see if that changed anything.

Plugin Contributions

image problem Re: qz print tray 2.0.7 and printing from admin

yankee,
    only twice?? c'mon now....

actually, its quite confusing and it is easy to screw it up. first thing, stay with the stock qz-tray. do NOT compile anything new.

next, let's look at the certificates. are you getting 2 pop-ups? you should be.... one is for the connection to the tray; the second one is for the print job.

now, on both of the pop-ups, are you looking at the certificate? here is an example of a screenshot of my connection certificate:

Name:  Screenshot from 2018-07-31 22-28-16.png
Views: 1412
Size:  13.1 KB

the values that i filled in are readily seen which means that the qz.security.setCertificatePromise is getting properly done. this part is crucial. is the request using your certificate? can you tell?

given that this part is done using an ajax request, you should be able to see the public certificate, using a browser. for example, if you followed my instructions to a tee, what do you get if you go here:

YOURSITE.COM/crt/certificate.pem

do you see the certificate? if not, relook at things. the ajax call is to:

$.ajax({url: "/crt/certificate.pem", cache: false, dataType: "text"}).then(resolve, reject);

which means my above link should hit your certificate. but you run into problems if in your configure, you shop is at someplace like:

YOURSITE.COM/STORE

i would NOT put the certificate on the admin side. period. don't do it. it's a public certificate. it is not protected in this setup. you are only potentially exposing your admin directory.

now when it comes time to print, look at the certificate again. does it have a fingerprint? if it does not, i would look at:

YOUR_ADMIN/includes/assets/sign-message.php

and specifically at the $KEY variable. i would change it to:

/home/username/crt/key.pem

and make sure that file is there. ftp or the like.

i think these are the 2 hard parts, and it is easy to screw up.

if your certificate is there, and they both have fingerprints, we can then look at:

qz-tray.properties, add

authcert.override=certificate.pem

this part is the tray, and if you have this configured properly, your certs can then be trusted.

i never said this was easy. it is easy to get it wrong.

post screenshots of both the certificates on the requests and we can see where we are. in addition, what is your web server running? and what is your workstation running where you are running the qz-tray?

this is an awesome little tool, but there is a reason why they charge $400/year to rid you of the security prompts. its not easy.... but we can do it.

best.
    author of square Webpay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast