Plugin Contributions

Default Adding New Fields to the Music Product Type that Display on Store Pages

I want to add a new field (really several) to the Music product type much like it has the music specific fields of
    Recording Artist, Record Company, and Music Genre.

The new field is called "Format" and will distinguish which media format of a music product is being offered; Vinyl LP, CD, DVD, audio tape, etc.

I also need the new field's label and value to show up on the stores product page.

How can I modify the Product - Music type to include additional fields that also appear on the store's product pages?

Thank you

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding New Fields to the Music Product Type that Display on Store Pages

With the thought of quickly getting the product to the public, why not go with an attribute for each product called Format. Use the usual Please Select a Format, and list the options available for that product. You could also add a stock by attribute mod to control the amount of each that is available. That would drop an option (say vinyl) when it's sold out.

Necessity wasn't really the mother of invention. T'was laziness.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding New Fields to the Music Product Type that Display on Store Pages

Thank you for the reply. That's a very interesting way to go. Though I typically have a given title in only one format.

For example:
    Frank Sinatra "Radio Disc Transcription" 16" vinyl
    The Doors "Greatest Hits" CD
    The B-52's "Wild Planet" 12" vinyl
    Elvis Presley "Aloha from Hawaii" DVD

I did a sample in my test shop and using attributes will get the information on the product listing page in the store (by offering only a single attribute option). However, the process of getting it there is far more complex than simply entering it on the product creation page since it involves several more steps using the Attributes Controller.

I'd like to enter all of the relevant data in a single product creation page. Is there an add-on for including a single attribute on the same page as I enter a new item? With 1,000's of items to enter, the additional four steps required through Attributes Controller will consume far more time in the long run (especially when applying multiple attributes per product such as format, catalog number, condition, etc.). A new field on the new product creation page would be more efficient.

Another benefit to making "Format" a unique field (like Recording Artist) is that it can be linked (hopefully allowing me to offer customers a truly searchable field in a future modification). Ultimately I'd like for customers to be able to click the listed format and get a full catalog of all items in that format (click "CD" to get a full list of all our CDs.)

I think I can add a field to the Product - Music product type by duplicating all of the code on the store side and following exactly what the Recording Artist field does. The Recording Artist field currently works in the same manner I want the new field to work. So all I need is another one like it called "Format." I believe my greatest challenge in that case would be setting up the database to accept the new field values.

Thank you again for the attributes suggestion. It is a possible way to go if setting up a new music product field is not successful.

Plugin Contributions

You're welcome. Remember that the Attribute Controller can copy to a product or a category.

Also, you could list all selections in one category and then link all using vinyl to a vinyl directory.

Your following the Recording Artist creation to create a new field would be the best way to make sure you cover all the bases.

Anybody's guess as to which method would consume the most amount of time.