Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion ADA Compliance for American Sites

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) seems to be a concern here in Florida. I've been told by few clients with businesses they they are increasing number of businesses with websites getting sued due to the company website not being ADA Compliant.

After reading around, looks like it is basically Accessibility attributes that has to be in effect. Also this sounds like template level changes?

https://www.ada.gov

https://www.ada.gov/pcatoolkit/chap5toolkit.htm

I am wondering, from other US based Zenner's here, any input on this? Thanks in advance.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ADA Compliance for American Zen Cart Sites

The link you posted was addressing *government* websites.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    The link you posted was addressing *government* websites.
    https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/we...liant-website/

Better link there...

Plugin Contributions

As some background, but I was doing 508 site revisions 15+ years ago and 508 was around well before that. I still make an effort to comply even though not required by ADA, 508, or Texas law. Current Florida requirements are listed here and Texas here. As is often the case unfortunately, a Florida case against Winn Dixie and two in California resulted in a judge applying the code to businesses NOT involved in commerce with a federal entity. I don't find other instances of suits nor files of appeal. Not sure the rulings would stand in higher court.

Both ADA and 508 accessibility standards (and ADA is just a rehash of 508) boldly state that they apply to local and state government websites. 508 goes a little further in adding any entity doing business with the federal government. Both the Florida and Texas standards mirror those requirements and do add educational entities to the list. Even with an upgrade in January of this year, 508 accessibility is still the same as far as who must comply. Although the current HHS website can often be misinterpreted as to application, https://webstandards.hhs.gov/guidelines/28 specifically states who MUST comply and who should STRIVE.

IOW Unless you are using Zen Cart to sell t-shirts for a local/state government, providing educational services to an institution, or a contractor providing goods or services to a federal entity; you are not required to meet those standards. HOWEVER, the indications are that both Florida and California are taking the easy way out when it comes to something like this. If it is not in the law and you can't pass a law because you don't have enough votes, get an activist judge to put it with the law.

Is it a valid goal to get to 508 acceptance? Absolutely! Is Zen Cart moving that direction? Yes. The moving away from tables to divs is a large step. Not sure when we could make all updating, moving, and scrolling content be controlled by the viewer. I believe Zen Cart is far ahead in the "Is the page free from major errors when run against the W3C Validator.

There are many things that violate 508 that are not under the control of Zen Cart. Offending color choices, blinking text, tables added to descriptions/design pages, etc. are easily accomplished by the store owner.

For me, the bottom line is that we should do our best to get an off-the-shelf compliant version of Zen Cart. Will that stop the lawsuits? Nothing we can do about that.

My biggest fear is that this becomes the next SEO. Already, there are doomsday websites c o m p l i a n c e s h e r r i f f is one that is buying google space to "help" you "Avoid 4 Causes of Lawsuits."

I think that, indeed, the sky may be cloudy. However, I don't think the sky is falling.

Plugin Contributions

While there is no definitive set of rules for ADA website compliance, businesses are being sued over it especially in NY and Florida.

I used http://wave.webaim.org/ to check my site. The biggest issue I have found is that form input boxes need a label. This is includes the quantity box, the search box, and the newsletter box. The "rapidssl" icon/button also needs a label. I'm using v154 (haven't had a chance to upgrade yet, like others out there I'm the only full time employee wearing numerous hats during the week and product has to be made, etc.). How do I make the necessary additions? I did an extensive search but I can't find where to add the labels or titles.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by pazdar View Post
    I used http://wave.webaim.org/ to check my site.
    Please keep in mind that this site is NOT a 508 accessibility site. It also includes items that are not in the 508 standard.

Be sure if it tells you something is wrong that you click on the flag in the menu and then the circled I for information. On several items, under Standards and Guidelines, it shows None.

Any site that freely mixes opinion with fact should be taken item by item and examined thoroughly.

There is definitely a set of rules for the federal government, BUT AGAIN they are only enforced on entities of the federal government or those that do business with the federal government. One would need to contact the state in which you live to see if there are applications for your state. In Texas, guidelines are found at https://dir.texas.gov/View-Resources...ent.aspx?id=36. https://dir.texas.gov/View-Resources...ent.aspx?id=39 provides tools, training and related resources.

BTW, this is not anything new - just ignored by most. The 508 standards were first posted in 1973 and adhering to them, even if not under their jurisdiction, is not a bad idea.

Plugin Contributions

ADA guidelines are now being applied to e commerce websites, not just those that deal with the federal government. Individuals with disabilities are suing website owners if they feel that a website is not in compliance. The federal government has not been cracking down on the 508 rules, that is correct. From what I understand Texas is one of the states where it is more difficult for a plaintiff to sue a company; NY and Florida are not. I'm trying to take a proactive approach by making sure to the best of my ability that my site is in compliance so we can avoid any potential lawsuits. How do I make the necessary modifications to my website? Thank you

Plugin Contributions

You would need to Google the 508 standards for whatever state you are concerned with. Make sure which they are using 508 and ADA are different. And, federal ADA does not apply if you employ less than 15 employees.
    Nothing you do will stop someone from suing you for whatever they want. "You use too much red" could be the next big thing.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    "You use too much red" could be the next big thing.
    Don't give the bull lobby any ideas!
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.