Plugin Contributions

Default when have a sub category, can't have any product in main category?

Hi, I created few sub categories under a main category. What I notice is as bellow;
    1: can add subcategory unless there is no product under the main category? is it true? what to do to create subcategory if there are few products already added.
    2. If I move a product from sub category to main category, then I can only add "Products" under this category. The link to create sub category is disappeared . Why So?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: when have a sub category, can't have any product in main category?

Quote Originally Posted by RiazShahid View Post
    Hi, I created few sub categories under a main category. What I notice is as bellow;
    1: can add subcategory unless there is no product under the main category? is it true? what to do to create subcategory if there are few products already added.
    2. If I move a product from sub category to main category, then I can only add "Products" under this category. The link to create sub category is disappeared . Why So?
    The general overall design is that a (sub-)category can either have sub-categories or product but not both primarily because of the way SALES (not specials) are handled. The system can be tricked into allowing it on the admin side, but the store front side will not operate as one might expect.

So, how do you possibly add a sub-category if there are already product in a category? Deactivate all of the product in the (sub-)category, now you can add a sub-category and can then also move the inactive product into the new sub-category.

What is a quick way to deactivate/reactivate all product in a category? Deactivate/reactivate a category that contains the product and you should be asked about what you want to do with all of the product inside.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: when have a sub category, can't have any product in main category?

I think its a common practice in today's e-commerce, that categories contain both the products and sub categories as well. So I think this option must be available in coming updates.