Plugin Contributions

Default Why is the admin password length limited to 40 characters?

I'm attempting to update a site to Zen-Cart 1.5.5f. I was having trouble logging in to the admin section on the upgraded site, and I discovered that the password field has a `maxlength=40` attribute.

I typically use 64 character passwords. I removed the `maxlength=40` attribute and my long password works fine. Is there a practical reason for the limit?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Why is the admin password length limited to 40 characters?

Certainly have me intrigued about the reason, though for some reason I have a suspicion that at one point that was possibly the longest password that could be processed to give a result that fit within the database field length. Meaning, anything longer than that might have allowed variation on the actually input password to provide a successful entry. Ie. Pwd1 or Pwd2 could be entered to gain entry. Could be complete hogwash, but mentally that's a possibility...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I'm pretty sure it's a leftover legacy thing that needs cleaning up.
    Unlike other fields where the number of allowed characters is matched roughly with the limit that the database can store (so the user can't unwittingly submit data that gets chopped off), password hashes are handled differently so there's no correlation there.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a leftover legacy thing that needs cleaning up.
    Unlike other fields where the number of allowed characters is matched roughly with the limit that the database can store (so the user can't unwittingly submit data that gets chopped off), password hashes are handled differently so there's no correlation there.
    Thanks for that explanation of the likely source of the 40 characters. Certainly at one point even considering a password of 40 characters in length was unusual. :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...