Plugin Contributions

Default Database size keeps getting out of control

We had hired someone to design a website for us and they used them cards to build the framework for the e-commerce, so just a heads up I really don't have a lot of experience with this. But I do have some background that might help.
    the person who designed the website is no longer designing websites and no longer wishes to even help us.
    What's happening is there some kind of log file that is making the database grow inside so significantly that it goes over our limit. And there really is not a lot of activity in the site. It happened once while the person was helping us and they told us that Zen cart was keeping a log file that created the oversized database. I can get in through mySQL but I can't find a single table that is oversized, or is even a log file. Is there anyway I can disable that, I can guarantee you that the person never looks at the log file anyways, they're just interested in the orders
    My apologies for the long Post, and just wanted to make sure I laid everything out there
    Thanks, Candace

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Database size keeps getting out of control

If you are really running 1.2.X, you are running a version that is before MY time with Zen Cart!

More than likely, that old version is set to cache everything in the database, admin_activity_log, email_archive, db_cache, sessions, etc.

It is shocking that anything that old is even working.

Plugin Contributions

Perhaps it's best to update the site now and find a new coder. Let me know if you'd like help :)
    Twitch.
    http://www.twitchtoo.com - Do you work for free? Please donate.
    Twitch Wholesale + Attributes for 1.55f, TAP Thumb for 155f and more...

Plugin Contributions

Candace, if you want someone to take over support for your Zen Cart, please place an ad in Commercial Help Wanted.

https://www.zen-cart.com/forumdispla...al-Help-Wanted
    That Software Guy, Plugin Moderator. Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Contributions: Quantity Discounts, Better Together, SMS on Sale, Gift Wrap at Checkout, and more.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry to have overlooked that -- I just put the first version I saw -- I only have access to the database through MySQL so I have no idea what version is running. This person maybe makes $400 of sales on this site a year and really isn't looking to totally design -- he just wants whatever log is running that keeps oversizing the database to be shut off

Plugin Contributions

There is one setting that will cause the database to grow very large, very quickly if left enabled.

Configuration: Logging: Log Database queries

if set to true, Log Database Queries
    Record the database queries to files in the system /logs/ folder. USE WITH CAUTION. This can seriously degrade your site performance and blow out your disk space storage quotas.
    Rick
    ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

That's a decent possibility. The other one that has given me trouble over time is the email archive.

But rather than guessing, just go to phpMyAdmin and sort all your tables by size - then you'll KNOW which one is the largest, and you can go from there.
    Contributions: Quantity Discounts, Better Together, SMS on Sale, Gift Wrap at Checkout, and more.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    That's a decent possibility. The other one that has given me trouble over time is the email archive.

But rather than guessing, just go to phpMyAdmin and sort all your tables by size - then you'll KNOW which one is the largest, and you can go from there.
    lets make an assumption, the OP knows what they are talking about. lets further assume the documentation in ZC for Log Database Queries is correct.

the OP is talking about a DB table getting out of control. Log Database Queries creates files in log directory. these are 2 completely different things.

best.
    helpful? while i do it for fun, u can say thanks with the green. bitcoin also welcome...

Plugin Contributions

The OP is almost certainly operating on second hand information, since he can't even login to the admin panel. The site owner may have said "the database" but really meant the file system. Who knows. He claims to have looked at the tables via MySQL (command line?). If he could get into phpMyAdmin, he could sort the tables using phpMyAdmin AND see the sizes of various directories using File Manager.