Plugin Contributions

Default Need help finding templates?

I want to add stock by attributes to my shop. In the text for this it says:

BACK UP YOUR DATABASE and WEB SITE Files!
    Prepare the package for upload to your server by renaming the following folders to match your template name: includes/modules/YOUR_TEMPLATE and includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE.

If this is a new install of Zen Cart 1.5.1, then with most good FTP programs (such as FileZilla) you can simply drag and drop the admin (renamed to match your admin folder name) and includes directories into the root directory of your site. The files are already arranged in the correct directory structure. Upload the admin, and includes folder, to your store's directory. The "Instructions\InstallSQLcommands.txt" file is for those who wish to upgrade the database manually, DO NOT put the "Instructions" folder on your site, this is only for your reference.

Cannot find includes/modules/YOUR_TEMPLATE and includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE. Do I just rename the admin and includes folders and put them in?

Is there an easier way to do this please?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need help finding templates?

Searching "Powered by Zen Cart" results in nearly eleven million returns. Granted, probably half of those refer to someone trying to get rid of the text in the footer.

For the sake of argument, let's assume that a little over two million of those hits are actual Zen Cart sites.

Next assumption is that less than 25% of those have any clue as to what FileZilla is or does.

While you are free to do anything to Zen Cart in any way you see fit, you'll find that the directions are generally written for the masses - not the minutia.

Hardest thing for many of us to do when coming over to Zen Cart was to "adapt" to the "methods for the masses." Yes, those of us more familiar with the inner workings of a website are likely to use some sort of short cut. One of the hardest things for me to do was to not skim over instructions. With so many mod authors, you're bound to run into instructions that start out the same and suddenly have one little twist that you don't find till days later.

Also, please take into consideration that YOUR_ADMIN and YOUR_TEMPLATE are often listed in other ways. Nothing forces a specific naming standard on the mod developer and some will just "do things their own way."

You are welcome to adapt as you see fit.

Sounds like you might be headed that way. Free will is great. It's the consequences of free will that can be terrible.

Point in fact. You say you are going to load stock by attributes into 1.5.1. 1.5.1 just had its sixth birthday this September. You don't mention if you are choosing 1.5.1 because you think the mod needs that version or is there some other reason.

There is a version on github that works with 1.5.5f. There are also commercial versions developed by excellent programmers.

Along with recency, there are many other advantages to using the latest version of Zen Cart. I would recommend that you do so.

You may need to do a reboot of your previous methods. Sometimes, with Zen Cart, adapters don't, shortcuts aren't, and time savers don't.

Plugin Contributions

Do you think if I get the latest version it will have the products in attributes with Quantity.

How long do you think it will take to install it as another store to test it?

I have my database and site backed up.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bscho View Post
    Do you think if I get the latest version it will have the products in attributes with Quantity.
    Yes.

Install the plugin, or create a whole new test site? For both, the answer is - it depends on your knowledge level of Zen-Cart.

If this is your first time making file changes in Zen-Cart, you may want to start with some more basic plugins. Or for this particular problem, just create a new product page for each attribute (unless you actually have hundreds of attributes for each product).

Is there an easier way to do this please?
    There is not. Zen-Cart is not built for 'What You See is What You Get' functionality similar to Shopify or Wordpress where updating or adding plugins can be done with the click of a button.

Cannot find includes/modules/YOUR_TEMPLATE and includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE. Do I just rename the admin and includes folders and put them in?
    No. They are already there (or at least in 90% of installs they are). Except 'YOUR_TEMPLATE' will actually be the name of the template you are using. For instance, it might be 'responsive_classic'.

Plugin Contributions

I have my database and site backed up.
    The latest version of Stock By Attributes referenced by dbltoe will work on ZC 1.5.1 as well as ZC 1.5.5 and it is suggested to update and remain up-to-date with the latest software. A basic installation to a ZC site is or can be relatively quick, an installation of a test site, can also be quick though there are factors to consider or impact on how fast it goes.

The latest version of Zen Cart does not already have stock tracking for attribute type product.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...