Plugin Contributions

Default Guidance upgrading from 1.3.9 to 1.5.6 (PHP Version Issues)

I could use some guidance upgrading a Zen Cart. I took this site over a few months ago and we planned on going from 1.3.9h to 1.5.5f.

The host is GoDaddy and it's an old account with MySQL 5.5. MySQL is not a problem.

We currently have access to three versions of PHP:
    PHP 5.3 (we're using this)
    PHP 5.4
    PHP 5.6
    We will have to switch to a new account to get to a newer version PHP.

I do have ZC 1.5.5f installed in a demo folder and it's working. It is running on PHP 5.3 because I'm afraid to move up. I don't think ZC 1.3.9h can handle anything higher than that and I can't move back down to PHP 5.3 once we switch up. (Thanks GoDaddy!).

I ultimately want to move up to 1.5.6 but, as I said, I'll need to move to a new GoDaddy account (or another host) because of the PHP version limitation.

I think my best bet is to:
    1) Finish the upgrade to ZC 1.5.5f at GoDaddy
    2) Switch up to PHP 5.6 and see that all is well
    3) Move to new account that supports PHP 5.6 and PHP 7.3
    4) See that hings are still working on PHP 5.6
    5) Switch up to PHP 7.1
    6) See that hings are still working on PHP 7.1
    5) Upgrade from ZC 1.5.5f to 1.5.6
    6) Switch up to PHP 7.3

Plugins:
    Basic shipping add-ons, CEON Payment Processor (Elevon processor in 1.5.5). These are working now.

Do you folks have any thoughts and/or guidance? Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Have a Drink Re: Guidance upgrading from 1.3.9 to 1.5.6 (PHP Version Issues)

I frequently upgrade from 1.3x - 1.55f without any steps in between to ensure the cleanest code however I do understand the need to upgrade to steps or code structure levels and this is my advice:

1 - Upgrade everything from 1.39h - 1.54 then go to 1.55f

2 - You can keep everything SQL 5.5 or 5.6

3 - You can also keep everything PHP to 5.6

4 - Get the bugs out

5 - Step up to PHP 7.1

6 - Get the bugs out

Many of our clients run GoDaddy servers old and new and the process is very smooth now, if you need tech help they are knowledgeable and now you have my contact info. There's also no need to pay them to 'migrate' the site if you've upgraded it yourself as you literally have everything you would need to do so.

7 - Wait for the coming soon release of ZC 1.56a prior to attempting an upgrade now, this will give developers some time to catch up to the new modules for 1.56a.

Correction Just Released:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....61#post1352961
    Last edited by twitchtoo; 4 Jan 2019 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Zen Cart 1.56a Released
    Twitch.
    https://www.twitchtoo.com Do you work for free? Please donate.
    Twitch Base7 with Wholesale PRO - 88 preinstalled plugins zero errors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Guidance upgrading from 1.3.9 to 1.5.6 (PHP Version Issues)

I don't see any reason to do an interim upgrade to ZC 1.5.4 especially since ZC 1.5.5f is already pretty much built.

Then once the PHP version has been increased to 5.6, ZC 1.5.6 can still operate on PHP 5.6 without issue so it too could be built/rebuilt in this environment without issue. Operating ZC 1.5.6 at php levels below 5.6 would require some "minor" code changes
    (though in many locations)
    such as reverting array style notation (square brackets `[]`) back to `array()`. If I remember correctly that was pretty much the only change that was made for ZC 1.5.6 that basically locked it into the lowest version of 5.6 being supported. It's an important step in the right direction making it more possible to reap the coding benefits of php 7.x.

But, it seems that at least in the relative short term that you can get to ZC 1.5.6 on the current server. Then either the host will move to some form of php 7.x (to be at least somewhat current) or the account would need to move to a php 7.x hosting location. In either way, continued operation can occur on the current server and the upgrade process worked along the way as necessary.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    such as reverting array style notation (square brackets `[]`) back to `array()`. If I remember correctly that was pretty much the only change that was made for ZC 1.5.6 that basically locked it into the lowest version of 5.6 being supported.
    Naw, the short-array syntax was added in PHP 5.4, not 5.6

Technically speaking Zen Cart v1.5.6 can work as far back as PHP 5.5. It's some of the 3rd party code that forces a minimum of 5.5.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Naw, the short-array syntax was added in PHP 5.4, not 5.6

Technically speaking Zen Cart v1.5.6 can work as far back as PHP 5.5. It's some of the 3rd party code that forces a minimum of 5.5.
    Well of course I was wrong about the php version where that became possible. :) unfortunately at least that alone would still be an issue in php 5.3, but as pointed out so would some other software that supports ZC operation/features.

Good side info to know about being able to reach back to php 5.5 if in a bind, although seems like 5.6 really has become the tipping point. (5.3 to 5.6 or 5.6 to say 7.2, maybe 7.3)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by twitchtoo View Post
    I frequently upgrade from 1.3x - 1.55f without any steps in between to ensure the cleanest code however I do understand the need to upgrade...
    Thanks for the all the info and help.

Regarding the part about stepping to 1.54: since you've had luck going straight to 1.55f and I've also got that working now on the site (albeit in a demo folder) is there any harm in me going straight there? Or is there something you see in my situation that forces that step to 1.54?

Plugin Contributions

Thanks a lot mc12345678. Your info, along with that from DrByte and twitchtoo, lets me know I'm kinda on the right path. I appreciate the heads-up on things to watch out for.

Plugin Contributions

Have a Drink Re: Guidance upgrading from 1.3.9 to 1.5.6 (PHP Version Issues)

Quote Originally Posted by chadn View Post
    Thanks for the all the info and help.

Regarding the part about stepping to 1.54: since you've had luck going straight to 1.55f and I've also got that working now on the site (albeit in a demo folder) is there any harm in me going straight there? Or is there something you see in my situation that forces that step to 1.54?
    Happy to help!

Note: Time is relative to the number of modules you have to install, upgrade or re-code and the size of your database.

I just completed an upgrade from 1.54 to 1.55f that took 2 days. 5 modules or so 5 years of data.
    (unreleased at present)

Prior to that I completed an upgrade from 1.38 - 1.55f that took moooore than 20 days. Many modules installed 8 years of data.
    (https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....02#post1352402)

I can tell you the problems on my bug list and the to-do list are entirely related to what is NEW about the NEW cart and NEW modules. As well as having a NEW vision of what the site can look like now that it looks NEW.

As long as you have transferred the 'old' data in the database, upgraded it to the newest version and installed a clean 1.55f with all of the NEW 1.55f modules and their associated tables... You're right where I am - diving into the bug fixes for 1.55f pages and the /logs folder is your new home.

I can also tell you I have no more than 5 - 8 major or minor bugs regardless of the previous Zen Cart version. Meaning most of my problems are related to 'missing' some code or images or this time forgetting to move the downloadable products from the old server to the new.

One rule we continue to follow with every Zen Cart upgrade > manual inspection, comparison and meticulous cleaning of the database. Recently this method has become exceptionally accurate and consistently ensures all errors - after the site has been released - are NOT related to the 'data' or it's structure.

You can confidently move forward from here. This may also be a good time to make and test your backups before proceeding
    Twitch.
    https://www.twitchtoo.com Do you work for free? Please donate.
    Twitch Base7 with Wholesale PRO - 88 preinstalled plugins zero errors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks again, twitchtoo. I appreciate the help.