Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Category called "Unknown (id 17)"

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    it might; but it seems a little silly to me....

when you uninstalled the plugin, you did not remove the modified code that the plugin had you change. if you are not using the plugin, i would try and go back and remove all of the code associated with that plugin. that way you can be closer to the unmodified core code making it easier for future upgrades.

you can seach for TABLE_PRODUCT_EXTRA_FIELDS to see what code needs to be removed.

good luck.
    Removing the TABLE_PRODUCT_EXTRA_FIELDS code associated with the Product Extra Fields plugin allows me to delete the sub categories and the products in the "Unknown (id 17)" category. Thanks for that!

I'm now left with about 10 or 15 products that seem to have no category ID but do have a product ID. There seems to be no way to delete those from the Zen admin. Is it safe to delete those products without category IDs from the database?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kcb410 View Post
    I'm now left with about 10 or 15 products that seem to have no category ID but do have a product ID. There seems to be no way to delete those from the Zen admin. Is it safe to delete those products without category IDs from the database?
    Best way is to assign them a master_category_id. You could assign 0 so they show in the top level list of categories/products, and from there you could delete them.
    You could also put them into a new category just for deletion.

Using the Admin to delete the products is safer than hacking in the database itself because there are several tables in the database where product data is stored, and if you delete only from the "products" table but not all the others then you have an even worse problem.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Best way is to assign them a master_category_id. You could assign 0 so they show in the top level list of categories/products, and from there you could delete them.
    You could also put them into a new category just for deletion.

Using the Admin to delete the products is safer than hacking in the database itself because there are several tables in the database where product data is stored, and if you delete only from the "products" table but not all the others then you have an even worse problem.
    Thanks for the reply DrByte.

I've tried creating a category called delete and assigning that master_category_id to one of the products but it doesn't show in that category after a refresh. I've tried assigning 0 in the master_category_id of a product but it doesn't show after a refresh either.

Is there some other method I could use?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12