Plugin Contributions

bug Admin/Catalog, missing Icon Names for Category and Product Pages

Version: 1.5.6A
    Under Admin/Catalog, text descriptions are missing for edit/copy/move icons on category and product pages. Was working in 1.5.5A.

Go to a category product page. The item title/model are displayed along with the preview link. The links past this for each product/category do not have any alt text attached.

Happy to provide further details to help troubleshoot.
    J.J. Meddaugh
    http://www.atguys.com

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Admin/Catalog, missing Icon Names for Category and Product Pages

In the prior version those icons were actual image gifs on which the HTML "alt" text was set for compliance with usual HTML markup standards.
    But in v156 those are font-icons, not image gifs, so there's not "alt" tags for them in the HTML, thus they were not specified.

Are you finding the icons aren't displaying properly?
    Are the icons themselves not meaningful?
    Are you just pointing out a pattern difference?
    Or is there another reason?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the quick reply and clarification.
    I am using a screen reader, so since these are not rendered as text, the screen reader does not speak any values for them, just blank links. When you have icons with Alt text, the screen reader will speak the alt text so that works fine. If you want to keep the font icons, here's one page I found with a solution to retain the text alternatives for assistive technolo
    https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Icon_...xt_Alternative
    J.J. Meddaugh

Plugin Contributions

Good point imho. Willing adding a title to the link work for you?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Design75 View Post
    Good point imho. Willing adding a title to the link work for you?
    Not a bad idea. Looks like this will work for some screen readers but not all, especially on mobile. I'll do some more research and try to come up with a fix. I assume edit/delete/copy/move are all still in the language files somewhere as they are used on other pages?
    J.J. Meddaugh

Plugin Contributions

Looks like the simple fix is to use aria-label.

For example, change line 911 of category_product_listing.php to

<a href="<?php echo zen_href_link(FILENAME_CATEGORY_PRODUCT_LISTING, 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&product_type=' . $product['products_type'] . '&pID=' . $product['products_id'] . '&action=move_product' . (isset($_GET['page']) ? '&page=' . $_GET['page'] : '')); ?>" style="text-decoration: none" aria-label="<? echo ICON_MOVE; ?>">

This will have no effect visually but label the link as Move for screen reader users.

More is explained on the Accessibility page for Font Awesome
    https://fontawesome.com/how-to-use/o.../accessibility

If it would help expedite,, I can go through this file and add the necessary code
    J.J. Meddaugh

Plugin Contributions

May also suggest looking over other somewhat similarly edited pages. I think at least ezpages and manufacturers were both touched in a similar way... if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but would recommend looking at other pages that offer multiple "buttons" to ensure that the determined fix be applied there as well. Jsquared, you will possibly provide the most help in identifying that aspect.

I say good catch!
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    May also suggest looking over other somewhat similarly edited pages. I think at least ezpages and manufacturers were both touched in a similar way... if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but would recommend looking at other pages that offer multiple "buttons" to ensure that the determined fix be applied there as well. Jsquared, you will possibly provide the most help in identifying that aspect.

I say good catch!
    No you're right, chances are there are more missing elements like this.

Plugin Contributions

Sure no problem, once it's confirmed that the proposed fix is the preferred method, I can go ahead and edit the affected files. Thanks for your help with this.
    J.J. Meddaugh

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Yes, aria-label is probably the best way forward. Thanks for the feedback on this!

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.