Plugin Contributions

Default PHP question - before I upgrade what problem if any am I going to run into?

I have my site hosted through Just Host and the PHP version they are currently running is 5.4.24, my question is: Are the current updated PHP version 7.3 or 7.5 compatible with what Just host is running? Or is this going to cause me a serious issue if I upgrade my ZenCart?

Thank you

[Note: remember to include site URL, ZC version, list of plugins, PHP version, etc ... read the Posting Tips shown above for information to include in your post here. And, remove this comment before actually posting!]

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PHP question - before I upgrade what problem if any am I going to run into?

If your host provides a switch to php 7.3 and you upgrade your zencart to 156 there are no issues.
    Except the pain of upgrading itself.
    So, backup, backup, and make your changes in a local xampp env ... or something like that.
    “Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” ― Bill Mollison

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PHP question - before I upgrade what problem if any am I going to run into?

Their website says they support 5.4, 5.6, and 7.0.

All of those are unsupported php versions by PHP itself. They are all "end of life."

A lot of hosts are still doing 5.6 to allow upgrades, but they should be able to offer 7.1, 7.2, and/or 7.3. Otherwise, you're just kicking the PHP "can" down the road. And, in this case, it's a short road.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The Server Requirements for Zen Cart® page shows the PHP versions that are compatible with the various Zen Cart versions.

It's worth having a talk with your host as well.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

This helped me a lot. I went into JustHost and upgraded to 7.0.3 , but it brought down my site. So I went back to php 5.6 and now the site is fine. Clearly I need to do the upgrade to Zen Cart first BEFORE upgrading the php. But do I really need to upgrade to 1.5.5 before upgrading to 1.5.6? I am clearly in over my head as I have no clue as to what files I changed to make my cart display the way it is now and what files I need to change, delete or add to make the new version work with what I have.

In going through the list of changed files for v1.5.5 it only references files going back to v1.5.4 and I am sure that since v1.3.9 there are many more. I tried out Beyond Compare and Araxis Merge. But again, I don't know what files I changed so I am unclear as to whether I move the changes in the old files into the new files or the other way around? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I am pouring through the forum trying to find any bit that I can comprehend so I don't mess everything up. Then once I get the cart upgraded, I'll have to do it again to get me to version 1.5.6 at which time, I will upgrade the php.

Plugin Contributions

You are always best advised to use https://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3...d-of-upgrading when moving from an older version of Zen Cart. So MANY things have changed since 1.3.9.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks! I'll read through this and follow the directions and post back here if I have additional questions.