Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Manufacturer image sizing

Hi

Template used is bootstrap.

I wish to restrict all manufacturer images displayed on the product display pages to a specific width and height.

I have had a look in templates/bootstrap/centerboxes/tpl_modules_manufacturer_info.php but it doesn't appear to be controlled from there.

Please could someone advise where i need to put these settings?

Many thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Manufacturer image sizing

If you have cPanel with your hosting, it has a great feature under the Files area called Images.

You're right in wanting to resize and this cPanel feature will let you do that AND save the original. You'll be using the Scaler mode to make the changes. And, you can "drill down" to the directory where your files are loaded. Hopefully, the manufacturers directory. Once you see your files, click on SCALE.

Most Time to Interactive delays in e-commerce are the result of the graphics used beeing too large and the browser having to resize them prior to "printing" the page to the screen.

If all images are square, I suggest changing them to 500px x 500px.

If the images are portrait (taller than they are wide), set the height to 500px and keep the original ratio for the width.

If the images are landscape (wider than they are tall), set the width to 500px and keep the original ratio for the height.

Doing that arranges so that all your images will fit into a 500 x 500 space. It makes everything flow better.

You may find free programs available on the internet but, the cPanel method is really a nice feature.

NOTE: If you use this method and any of your images are smaller than 500 x 500, DO NOT use this method to make the image bigger. It pixelizes the image and really looks unprofessional.

The non-cPanel method is located at https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/images/images_howto/
    Last edited by dbltoe; 26 Aug 2022 at 12:23 AM. Reason: more info

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    If you have cPanel with your hosting, it has a great feature under the Files area called Images.

You're right in wanting to resize and this cPanel feature will let you do that AND save the original. You'll be using the Scaler mode to make the changes. And, you can "drill down" to the directory where your files are loaded. Hopefully, the manufacturers directory. Once you see your files, click on SCALE.

Most Time to Interactive delays in e-commerce are the result of the graphics used beeing too large and the browser having to resize them prior to "printing" the page to the screen.

If all images are square, I suggest changing them to 500px x 500px.

If the images are portrait (taller than they are wide), set the height to 500px and keep the original ratio for the width.

If the images are landscape (wider than they are tall), set the width to 500px and keep the original ratio for the height.

Doing that arranges so that all your images will fit into a 500 x 500 space. It makes everything flow better.

You may find free programs available on the internet but, the cPanel method is really a nice feature.

NOTE: If you use this method and any of your images are smaller than 500 x 500, DO NOT use this method to make the image bigger. It pixelizes the image and really looks unprofessional.

The non-cPanel method is located at https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/images/images_howto/
    Thanks I am in the CPanel and manufacturers folder but I cannot locate a link for SCALE

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by AlgellA View Post
    Thanks I am in the CPanel and manufacturers folder but I cannot locate a link for SCALE
    OK found it - I was in the wrong top level. Shame though that you cannot apply scale to multiple images - just the one at a time

Plugin Contributions

That would be possible in something like Photoshop's batch processing BUT $$$$$

Plugin Contributions

Ok thanks again

Plugin Contributions

OK so not as bad as I thought. Simply scroll down the list of images and you can see at a glance all those that are far too large and just treat those. Then delete the old images using FTP. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    That would be possible in something like Photoshop's batch processing BUT $$$$$
    for reference if you have Photoshop already:
    http://rjdesignhut.#################...ures-with.html

Plugin Contributions

Well link seems to not work through forum. Probably because it is not secure.

rjdesignhut[dot]blogspot[dot]com/2011/01/how-to-resize-multiple-pictures-with[dot]html

Plugin Contributions

[QUOTE=AlgellA;1390172]... Then delete the old images using FTP.[/.QUOTE]You can sort by the headings as well.

PLEASE NOTE: deleting the old files created in this method will delete the larger file. If you do not have an original copy somewhere off-server, you will lose the larger image. In most of today's hosting plans (multi TB drives) keeping the old files is probably not a problem. Plus, if you later need a larger version of a file, you just resize the old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast