Default Confused - Going from 1.39D and new install for 1.5X

I posted a while back trying to decide whether to upgrade from 1.39D to 1.5X or to start over from scratch with the current download and just update the database.

I have decided to go with the former (to see how it goes, and if it doesn't go to well, may just try upgrading the current version of 1.39d).

However, I am utterly confused! (i know it is me, I have not done this in years, I cannot afford to hire someone to do this for me, so it is completely up to me, and the Ukranian spammers are registering everyday and so I am just a bit overwhelmed and apologize in advance for this nuttery of mine).

Onwards:

I started reading this article: How do I rebuild my site on the new version, instead of upgrading?
    https://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3...d-of-upgrading

It keeps mentioning the word upgrade, which is not want I want. I guess what is being explained here is that a rebuild is a form of an upgrade? I am sure it is just me (well I know it is me) I am confused of what instructions to follow. The article says it contains 3 sections:
    1. What an upgrade is, and what it is not.
    2. An overview of how to rebuild a site using the new version, instead of upgrading.
    3. How to upgrade while keeping the store live, and not losing any sales/customer/product data.

So while I read the entire article, the part that pulls me is #2, which is what I want, to rebuild my site using version 1.5X. Now, when I go to that section, there are not really any step by step instructions. Am I missing them somewhere? Or is there something in the bigger picture I am missing?

I just need to get my little website updated in the fastest and easiest way that I can. Thank you very much.

crochetgarden (dot) com
    Currently I have Version 1.39d
    Mods: PayPal payment module added
    Plugin: Monthly Sales (thats it)

Database server

Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
    Server type: MySQL
    Server connection: SSL is not being used Documentation
    Server version: 5.6.41 - MySQL Community Server (GPL)
    Protocol version: 10
    User: ----
    Server charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

Web server

cpsrvd 11.76.0.21
    Database client version: libmysql - 5.1.73
    PHP extension: mysqliDocumentation curlDocumentation mbstringDocumentation
    PHP version: 7.2.7

phpMyAdmin

Version information: 4.8.3

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Confused - Going from 1.39D and new install for 1.5X

Perhaps to approach it from a different perspective. Ultimately yes an upgrade is being performed (e.g. Using newer/better software than before) but getting there can actually be easier than trying to figure out which file(s) changed in what way... in a sense you load the new fileset then touch the database to make changes that are needed to work with the new fileset...

The rebuild section of #2 tells you how you can sort of perform the development/experimentation part without bothering your live site... section #3 tells you how you can get your live site where you want it now that you have practiced the database upgrade part...

See the "long" way to get the site current was to add to copy all of your existing files to a new temporary location. Then with the next version of ZC (1.3.9e) add the new files, remove the deleted files and modify the changed files, update the database if it needed it. Then go to the next step (1.3.9f) repeat the above process, keep going one (sub)version at a time... you can still do that if you want or find that you need to, but generally speaking there is no need to do that (anymore).

So, you have several options to accomplish the part 2 section. You could create a sub-directory off of your current store and create a new database, then upload the new files. Backup your current database and import it to a new database, then run zc_install on the new store to create the configure files and update that "backup" database. If you then access the admin you can find out that the database has been upgraded and see that the file version is newer than what you had...

Before doing that database upgrade though it is recommended that you verify that the site works in these new conditions and with a default database. Then once the store seems to operate correctly will want to import your store database and again verify good operation. Then move on to step #3...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Confused - Going from 1.39D and new install for 1.5X

I understand your pain in reading these instructions and getting brain freeze.

This is my opinion on what is still a very tedious process.

You need to be clear what your shop is...a pile of files for Admin, a pile of files for Catalog + a database with tables and columns of data in it.
    Three lumps of stuff.

In each version of Zen Cart there are changes to the files, and maybe new tables (rare) and columns added to the database that these new files will use (expect to find).

So you have two things to do manually: merge your custom modifications into the two sets of files.
    Modifications to the existing database are handled by the zc_install files that are in the latest Zen Cart.

You can take your existing files and add in the changes from the new files....or start with new files and add in your changes...in a perfect world the results will be identical: 1+2=3 or 2+1=3.

But there are two potential issues with mixing files and databases.

An old fileset with modifications/plugins may be looking for database stuff related to plugin tables/columns that will not exist in a new database yet: so that will cause some white screens of death to investigate.

New files may be looking for database stuff in the latest version does will not exist in the old database until it is upgraded: so you must upgrade immediately.

Practically, one has to make an educated guess on the best way. In your case, no doubt.

- Start with a new install on a local server that uses the latest version of php or at least the same as your hosting.
    - Import your real database to overwrite the empty new one
    - Run the zc_install to update the old database with the new columns that have been added since 1.39. This is the upgrade bit.
    - Make sure everything works...keep detailed notes of anything you need to manually change in the database for when you do this for real.
    Personally if I need to make any admin changes or database mods I figure out how to do each one with a sql query and so end up with a list of queries that can be run in a second when I do the real upgrade later on.
    - Gradually, carefully and adding copious comments in the code where core code is modified, Add in your changes to the two filesets for your needs.

When all is well-tested LOCALLY, upload this test set of files and test database to your hosting and check it all works there too...in parallel to your live shop/in a subdirectory.

The final step to replace your existing shop is open to discussion/personal preference/how your site is structured, but by the time you get there you will be much better informed than you are now!
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...