Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Order sub total and total wrong in checkout

Running 1.56a - new install - tax set to 20% - tax decimal places set to 4 (but have tried every number)
    Have 20 % taxable product for 8.3333 (=10.00)
    Add quantity 30 to cart which shows everything correctly: unit 10.00 total 300.00 and total 300.00
    Go to checkout payment and subtotal and total changes to 299.88 !?
    Any help please?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Order sub total and total wrong in checkout

There's some work going on to try to resolve at least some of what you are seeing. Comes down to at least two factors. Rounding and potentially the use of floating numbers.

I will say that I still find it curious how a product's price without tax is so rounded/priced. I say that from the perspective of if I were purchasing where I didn't have to pay the VAT and I purchased two of the item, I would expect to only have to pay 16.66, not 16.67 which is what it appears I would have to pay because of the repeating value of 3...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for your reply. So I guess this isn't something I'm doing wrong. Still confused why a release of the software doesn't work. Maybe best I stick with oscommerce.

Plugin Contributions

What are your settings for Configuration->My Store->Display Prices With Tax and Display Prices With Tax in Admin?

It sounds like you've got the prices displaying with tax in admin, but not in the storefront.

Plugin Contributions

Both are set to display prices with tax - as you see from the numbers used in post 1.

Plugin Contributions

@mc12345678
    VAT free amount of £20 is 16.67 not 16.66 as you suggest.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Bee View Post
    @mc12345678
    VAT free amount of £20 is 16.67 not 16.66 as you suggest.
    I suggest that it should be £16.66 because in a two decimal currency, there is no way that one could purchase an item for £8.3333 which when purchased as a pair results in £16.6666 that is then rounded to £16.67... That is unrealistic the currency doesn't support parts into the third decimal.

The unit price is £8.33. Two units is £16.66... It is to that which I say VAT (3.33 if rounded at 2 decimals) is to be added resulting in £19.99 as the total (or as suggested in some texts to round up all taxes that have a remainder, then the tax would be 3.34 [16.6666 * 20% = 3.33332 or 16.66 * 20% = 3.332] with the total still being £20)... This is in contrast to taking £20 (because that is the price desired to charge) and subtract the tax to obtain the "original price" calculated from £20/1.20 = 16.6667 (16.67 when rounded at 2 decimals). This certainly doesn't use the idea of paying the tax collector when any portion of the tax remains with the tax rounded up (the price down). Again then when charging £20 (because that is the price desired to offer the customer) the tax would be 3.34 and again the base price of purchasing two items would be 16.66.

As to a release of software "not working". The software is open source which means that correcting "issues" depends on the input of those experiencing them (and as should be noticed those that support to continue to read and make adjustments). What doesn't work for one may work for many others or in contrast what works for one may not work well for others. There are solutions either available or being made available to address the topic you are discussing and to try to do that in a way that all can easily apply.

Discussing your specific needs to indicate the requirements, any changes made to a base store, and the specific problems encountered is likely to get support in resolving the issue.

For me I have been somewhat passionate on this topic (similar to at least one Zenner who hasn't been seen in a little while that would jump at the chance to discuss a topic I wish not to elaborate on in fear of "retribution" :) ). I too have previously sought solution(s) and found many ways that the calculations could be performed and considered. I haven't though exactly found a "trusted source" or set of references. A lot of the discussion has centered around how the code operates or what the results might be considered to be necessary; however, previously have not really gotten into what is required by those for which the fee is collected.

I mean, there are stores in which I shop where the "coupon" used may say "responsible for all taxes calculated before discount" where the coupon may cause the product to be free but no tax is collected... Sure, as a customer I'm happy to walk away with a completely free item, but it seems that either advertising messed up the wording (may not be permitted to collect such tax in some areas), the cashier didn't press the right button, or the program didn't work right and should have collected the tax on the original price.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that either the above will be ignored or perhaps read multiple times causing a headache, just ask a few of the others around here. :) I am not ashamed to write more (a lot) to explain a situation/condition and try to have a discussion about it. I want to understand and I encourage discussion.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

@mc12345678
    Thank you for such a long reply but no help at all.
    Trying to use zen cart for a shop that shows VAT inclusive for all products is common enough use.
    Enter a product price of £10.00inc in zen cart gives 8.3333exc
    Add any multiple product to cart gives the wrong result in checkout process - reasonable to suggest that this shopping cart software doesn't work at this basic level.
    Very happy to receive help and advice from anyone so I can use zen cart for purpose.

Plugin Contributions

As noted in this post by @balihr, the issue is that the calculations when prices are displayed with tax should be different.

Thus, a single product is $10.00 (tax inclusive), so 30 x the product is $300.00. The tax (at a 20% tax-rate) would then be calculated from the total as 300 - (300 / 1.2) = $50.00, with a net-total of $250.00.

Plugin Contributions

@lat9
    Thank you very much for your quick reply with post link.
    The code there worked to fix the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast